The New Bright Knob

The amps I have owned (and still own) only had a treble knob and some a bright switch which I never used. True hard to please everyone. I am not complaining just saying that it is too confusing for me. I am a simple guy! ;) Most off the times I only touch treble and presence because the bright switch makes it too harsh and noisy for me.

If you want some of effect of the bright switch, but not as much as happens by default, adjust the value of the bright cap. With this value you can control how much bright the bright cap gives you. This is a very powerful parameter when you use the bright switch.

FWIW, another way to look at the "Bright switch" is another overdrive section of the amp...

The cap over the volume pot (which is what a bright switch) lets only the highest frequencies past the volume pot. At large numbers, like 5000pf, midrange starts getting by. This is the same as having the volume at MAX for just those frequencies.

So try not to think of the bright switch as just an EQ choice, it changes how the amp responds and overdrives too.

I used to use a triaxis , 2:90 combo which was a popular combo to use. The triaxis and 2:90 both had presence controls. Lowering the 2:90 presence control just seemed to rob the tone and make it sound lifeless. However the presence on the triaxis reacted much better and you could get a nice darker tone if you wanted without sounding lifeless. I ran my presence around 2-3 on the triaxis. I believe the usa lead 2 yellow was modeled with the triaxis presence on 10. I really welcome the new brightness knob because it allows me to adjust the presence in the preamp which seemed much more effective in the triaxis, 2:90 combo.

Great tool !! First parameter to tweak after master, drive and input trim ... Very very useful and very helpful to easy find the sweet spot for our ears !! MASSIVE !!

I think it mostly turns into arguments when people start getting defensive.

Disagreements will be with us as long as we're not all cloned from the same brain. It becomes an argument when someone takes offense, and lobs an offense at the other side in retaliation. Most fights die a quick death when just one or two people decide to break the cycle of defense/offense.

What argument?
Exactly. :encouragement:

No kidding. I've been there since 1987...but they can sound so good (for the 10 seconds that you have the knobs in the right spot). :lol

Truer words were never spoken! Then in addition to all of the knobs/faders, you had to rely on room temperature, age of the tubes, cycle of the moon, and alignment of the planets. I've had the Studio Preamps, The Quads, and the Triaxis (all into a 50:50 PA). I'd say a little prayer before each rehearsal or gig. Never got a MK3/4/5 for this reason.

I gigged with the new firmware last night and noticed my main Marshall-type patch (the Pete Thorne PT68 preset) had more of a shrill high end (ice-pick sound). The new Bright knob was left at default, 12:00 noon.
Should I turn the bright knob right down to zero to get the same sound as 13.02?
Do the amps need re-setting for 13.07?

The bright knob is magic!!! Very effective and powerfull!!
Cliff you are a genius!!!
After tweaking your sound... and thinking it's the best you can get... the bright knob is like a finishing sandpaper #1000!!!
Absolutely GREAT!

yes, massively useful control. try the jcm800 with and without. massive difference

I used to own Scott Henderson's JCM 800, John Suhr modified for him.It had a knob on the back marked "Sizzle".I could dial in myriad of sounds just by turning that knob.
Idiot me sold it to fund Bogner Ecstasy.

clever you to buy an axe fx, because you now have that amp back :)

it wouldn't surprise me if that mod was exactly what cliff has done with the bright knob

Oh man!!!!! The bright knob is amazing. I'm trying to create a clean patch and this made all the difference. Thank you CliFF!!!

Back
Top Bottom