The New Bright Knob

Ok, quick question, Does the bright knob work on all amps or certain amps? When I try it on the ODS-100 Lead 2 it doesn't do anything.

The model IS right now.
It wasn't right before IMO because it didn't have this new control.
Before, there was no "realistic" (for want of a better word) way to lower the simulation of the real Triaxis' Presence control from within the Amp Block other than using the EQ page (which never never sounded wholly right to me) that I am aware of.
Now there is.

The Triaxis rig modelled in the Axe is the only amp modelled in the Axe that has a pre-power-amp Presence control.
Cliff just decided to make the Bright control available on all the Axe's amp sims, not just the Triaxis sims.
He implemented it in the best way possible as far as I can see.
And it wouldn't have made any sense to call it a "Presence" control because the amp block already has one of those in the power amp sim.

I really don't see how your criticisms make any sense.
Sorry.
Maybe I'm missing some point of yours.
If so, what is it please?

God bless you Cliff! :encouragement:

You're giving everyone of us a chance to design our own amps (sort of).

Sorry guys. I Wasn't understanding the real function of the new bright switch. Please Forget my comments, I'm really sorry.

Anyways, when you are talking about the Triaxis Presence control, are you talking about the "Dynamic Voice" control? Can the new bright switch replicate the "Dynamic Voice" of the Triaxis pre?

Sorry guys. I Wasn't understanding the real function of the new bright switch. Please Forget my comments, I'm really sorry.

Anyways, when you are talking about the Triaxis Presence control, are you talking about the "Dynamic Voice" control? Can the new bright switch replicate the "Dynamic Voice" of the Triaxis pre?

no. the dynamic voice is just several presets of the mesa 5 band. download the manual and have a look - http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Triaxis.pdf

i used it to absolutely nail the Holdsworth lead tone using usa pre yellow. it's the missing link for mesa tones, for sure. will post a preset and demo tomorrow. it's my best effort yet.

Serendipity. I've recently been thinking about this, and am curious to hear.

I instantly found use of this knob. I found it one of the most valuable tone shaping knobs and was able to fine tune almost all of my presets in a short time just like I needed. Excellent! Thanks FAS team.

It has allowed me to remove the PEQ block in several presets - if I make a preset that sounds great other than too much high end, I'd put in a PEQ and block everything from 7K upwards. Don't have to do this now, and I get more clarity and sizzle from the highs now. Thank you Cliff - this one knob is a huge tone shaping tool!

I've been messing the Bright knob and also find it to be a really nice addition for some of the amps.. well, for every amp I tend to use so far. Any chance it could be moved to the main amp page with Treble, Mid, Bass, etc? If not, no worries. Thanks for the continued efforts Cliff and crew..

It has allowed me to remove the PEQ block in several presets - if I make a preset that sounds great other than too much high end, I'd put in a PEQ and block everything from 7K upwards. Don't have to do this now, and I get more clarity and sizzle from the highs now. Thank you Cliff - this one knob is a huge tone shaping tool!

Any reason why you chose that method as opposed to lowering the HF in the Cab Block..?

No argument of course, just curious as to whether there was anything more to your thought process beyond that of "It's just the way I did it" :)

Not to be a killjoy but...

The only amp sims in the Axe that should really benefit from the new Bright control, strictly from the aspect of realistic simulations of the amps being simulated, are the Triaxis sims.
This is because the Triaxis is the only real-world amp that is simulated within the Axe that actually has a control/circuit like this.

If you're finding that you *need* to use this control with non-Triaxis amp sims in order to obtain a realistic, i.e. true-to-the-original-amp, tone from an amp sim then that means that the amp sim itself still needs work.

I don't think anybody here thus far is making any claims like that.
But I think it's worthy of qualification.

On the other hand, if you're finding tones that you love by using this control on amp sims of real amps that don't actually have this control, then all the more power to you.
Enjoy.
The Axe is actually quite capable of getting tones not achievable by the real-world amps that are modelled within it.

I gigged with the new firmware last night and noticed my main Marshall-type patch (the Pete Thorne PT68 preset) had more of a shrill high end (ice-pick sound). The new Bright knob was left at default, 12:00 noon.
Should I turn the bright knob right down to zero to get the same sound as 13.02?
Do the amps need re-setting for 13.07?

Update: tried installing 13.07 again, this time it sounded great. Something must have got screwed up during the previous update I guess.

Back
Top Bottom