Standard and Ultra Firmware Version 9.00 Released

9.0 is the best update of the year. Many of the amp models I didn't care for before are now very useable to me. This is really a noticable sonic improvement overall. I'm in disbelief that Cliff continues to pull incremental gains out of the hat as the years roll by. My user satisfaction with the Axe is off the charts. The only improvement horizon I can now imagine for the Axe is to implement cab/speaker/mic software along the lines of the Red Wire package.

Just got back from band practice and I have to say 9.0 is a real magic firmware update. Everything seemed to have a real tube amp feel in the high gain department. The tone was dense and punchy and felt like any real high gain tube amp I've ever played except with 100% more clarity. Great work, once again I'm in love with my axe fx just like the first day all over lol. Whatever tweaks come down the line are only a bonus this is the milestone that nailed it. Man I can't wait to play again.

Larry, are you feeling any better yet?

You know you should never go anywhere without the Axe?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had a Standard since v3.x. IMHO, v9.00 places this thing so far in front the usual competitors (most of which I've owned at some point) that the only GAS I have, and will never truly be free of, is for guitars. For me, the most satisfying aspect to v9.0 is the top end. You can really seem to add copious amounts of treble and presence on the high gain models and what you get is a harmonically complex "sizzle" instead of ice pick harshness. Cliff had certainly addressed this issue in previous versions, but I really seem to notice the sweet smoothness of the top end with v9.00. Anyone else find this to be the case? - Tim

TCD said:
I've had a Standard since v3.x. IMHO, v9.00 places this thing so far in front the usual competitors (most of which I've owned at some point) that the only GAS I have, and will never truly be free of, is for guitars. For me, the most satisfying aspect to v9.0 is the top end. You can really seem to add copious amounts of treble and presence on the high gain models and what you get is a harmonically complex "sizzle" instead of ice pick harshness. Cliff had certainly addressed this issue in previous versions, but I really seem to notice the sweet smoothness of the top end with v9.00. Anyone else find this to be the case? - Tim

Yes, that's exactly why I love v9.0 above all else!! The high end is just rich now like you say and not harsh.

Hey All

hoping you can help

Running mac osx 10.5.9, mac pro with an edirol midi card, with the axe in ports 2 in and out

never had an issue before upgrading with the axe editor (upgrade firmware)

i downloaded 9.0 fine and point the editor to it, the first time i got transferring file but then got the error at the end that it failed and checked the axe and its still on 8.09.

so i tried it again and now i get now hard ware detected check your audio and midi settings

nothing has changed in my setup? i have rebooted mac and fractal numerous times and all i get now is the no hardware detected error

i am on midi channel 1, sys id 125??

any ideas what to do??

thanks

Hey Trock
Might not be any help since you've been rebooting but,
I uploaded v9 today with my Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.8 and Midisport 2X2. I used the AudioMidiSetup app and ran the test to see the lights on the Axe confirm the connection. My mistake was to open the Utility page on the Axe first and had it waiting for the Send before I opened the Editor on my computer. I got the same message you did, so I rebooted the Axe and then reversed: I got the Editor all the way to the Send button, did the Utility on the Axe until it was waiting, then hit send on the Editor. Worked then. Hope this helps.

well all of a sudden after 4-5 tries it worked!

no idea why, didn't change anything but its on 9 now. can't wait to try it out

and sorry to be dumb but how exactly should i load banks A and B in?

thanks!

Finally got a chance to install 9.00, as always I use the SysEx Librarian with a Motu 828 MK II (MAC) everything went smooth, never had a problem with this combination.
This looks like another great update!
Thanks a million Cliff.

V9 Smilzo's impressions...

Leslie is a keeper. Nice, musical, inspiring... I love leslie, I love Axefx leslie. The sound is BIG.

The new poweramp... my light crunch preset sound smoother, more honey in my playing. The clean with a bit increase of master sounds... gooder!! :lol: The lead... well... my Uber patches without tweaking sounded more open, grainy, dirt in a "hollow" way. After tweaked a bit I find back a more modern sound, but I fear it will be buried in the mix. We'll see.

I give a try the plexi 2, but I think we're still not there. I don't know. I have to make serious DI comparison, before give my preference to real plexi or virtual one.

The reverb... another gooder catch! :mrgreen: Mu-si-cal.

I didn't find the "vibe block" I read about in the release note: I suspect it is Ultra only (Standar user here). I don't care a lot. I have leslie now! :lol:

Smilzo said:
I didn't find the "vibe block" I read about in the release note: I suspect it is Ultra only (Standar user here). I don't care a lot. I have leslie now! :lol:
That's the "Univibe" mode of the phaser, you do have it

Standard owner here.
9.00 is great, easier to tweak amps without going to advanced parameters or using additional eq blocks.
I started with CAE models (huge fan of Lukather), but after upgrading to 9.00 now I am loving bogner models, I would say more of a Dann Huff sound now!

Having plenty of models is the key for me: I always get bored of my sound after some time, same with my last tube amp (Diezel Einstein, beautiful sounds, but..always the same ;-D).
Now I can switch between a CAE stack, a bogner, a soldano and more with no waste of money and time when I feel I need something new in my sound.
Thanks Cliff!

ciao

I am just giving this a go. I tried with MIDI OX and did the setting changes to milliseconds advised above. Basically the AxeFX just sits there awaiting the file but nothing seems to happen.

I tried with Bomes SEND SX as well with the same result.

I am using a PC with Midisport2x2

Any ideas?

Steve.

Feel free to throw things at me.

I rebooted and finally noticed that the axe editor includes an update firmware option...

And right now it seems to be working.

I can not wait to hear the new sounds - maybe my bitching about the Bogner models will be somewhat outdated?

Steve.

Did I say thanks for FW 9.00 ? If yes, then this is another BIG thanks to Cliff.

I used to spend whole weekends tweaking on my previous modeller just to get a tone that "worked", not necessarily that I liked. VERY frustrating and time consuming. Now, there is nothing but happiness every time I turn on my Ultra. Finally I can get those elusive metal tones I was looking after several years just in a matter of minutes . Thanks.....again :D

The new power amp modeling is a MAJOR step forward. Everything is juicier and more alive. I did some before and after clips so that I could A/B the old firmware with the new. The change is dramatic. Thanks Cliff!

I have to say that after upgrading I have noticed DEFINITE improvements in the Soldano and Bogner models.

They were basically *unusable* with the old software but right now sound VERY usable.

God I am so glad I bought this box!

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom