Standard and Ultra Firmware Version 9.00 Released

I am a newbie but have been tweaking and I can honestly say I do hear a much more positive difference.

As as aside, this has to be one of the most bug free releases possibly ever. Usually he'll release the Ultra firmware, then by the time we get to a Standard version, he's had to increment due to a fix.

Good work Cliff! Seems you have more time to QA your code!

Or you're sleeping even less.

Ron

Not like I didn't love my Standard already but I wanted to gush a little today I guess. This update to me is just fantastic. I love the CAE lead model now......I liked it before but now it's just an inspiration........very thankful for 9.0!

I have been lax on the updated since 7.4. :eek:

Holy Crap 9.0 just kicked my ass!

Thanks Cliff!

hi- i just updated my ultra to version 9 and now there is no output. im getting input meters but no output. tried to find some setting to solve the problem but couldn't. any help?
thanks,
k

kurtr2 said:
hi- i just updated my ultra to version 9 and now there is no output. im getting input meters but no output. tried to find some setting to solve the problem but couldn't. any help?
thanks,
k
What version did you update from? Was it a version prior to 6.07? If so, there's a message at the top of the Release Notes that will tell you what to do. If not... I don't really know what it could be.

electronpirate said:
As as aside, this has to be one of the most bug free releases possibly ever. Usually he'll release the Ultra firmware, then by the time we get to a Standard version, he's had to increment due to a fix.

Good work Cliff! Seems you have more time to QA your code!

Or you're sleeping even less.

Ron
I must agree. :D This is very impressive, Cliff!

I've now got about ten shows on 9.0, and I'm finally getting a handle on the revisions to the amp sims. I now feel like there's been an improvement, but it took quite a bit of adaptation of my presets in order to realize it.

The reverb is another matter. The improvements there are huge. The input diffusion and diffusion time parameters are helpful, but the real game-changer for me is the tail delay. IMO the default settings are not characteristic of the represented room sizes. Tweaking early delay and tail delay has yielded reverb sounds that, to my ears, do a much better job of simulating physical acoustic spaces.

Jay Mitchell said:
The reverb is another matter. The improvements there are huge. The input diffusion and diffusion time parameters are helpful, but the real game-changer for me is the tail delay. IMO the default settings are not characteristic of the represented room sizes. Tweaking early delay and tail delay has yielded reverb sounds that, to my ears, do a much better job of simulating physical acoustic spaces.

You had to know someone was going to be a pain and ask if you would share settings :mrgreen: . As of now, I still have to remove the reverb when playing with the band because I'm still suffering from washout when I use it. Just curious how you have yours set so that it works in a live band context.

InsideOut said:
As of now, I still have to remove the reverb when playing with the band because I'm still suffering from washout when I use it. Just curious how you have yours set so that it works in a live band context.
The adaptation of human hearing neurology to speech recognition is such that reflected energy arriving between 50 and 150 milliseconds after the initial arrival is highly detrimental to articulation and intelligibility. Medium to large reverberant spaces can easily have a delay between the initial arrival and earliest lateral reflections - not reverberation - of 30-40 milliseconds. After this early energy, you want the reverberant tail to fall at or beyond the end of the 150-ms window. If your early delay is, say, 40 ms, then the tail delay, which is additive to the early delay, should be ~110 ms or greater.

Jay Mitchell said:
InsideOut said:
As of now, I still have to remove the reverb when playing with the band because I'm still suffering from washout when I use it. Just curious how you have yours set so that it works in a live band context.
The adaptation of human hearing neurology to speech recognition is such that reflected energy arriving between 50 and 150 milliseconds after the initial arrival is highly detrimental to articulation and intelligibility. Medium to large reverberant spaces can easily have a delay between the initial arrival and earliest lateral reflections - not reverberation - of 30-40 milliseconds. After this early energy, you want the reverberant tail to fall at or beyond the end of the 150-ms window. If your early delay is, say, 40 ms, then the tail delay, which is additive to the early delay, should be ~110 ms or greater.

Jay, that is an outstanding explanation of something I've never been able to get my head around. I've been messing with those two settings over and over, but never got close to your example above. I had no idea the relationship was additive. Thank you very much, and now I can't wait to get home and try this :cool:

widrace said:
Here's some more of that kinda stuff for the hardcore....

http://www.fmdesign.com/support/ETC_article.pdf
That information relates to recording studio design and to making control acoustics inaudible, rather than to the reverberation characteristics that make for the best halls. The criteria Lars explains in the linked article were originally identified and quantified by Chips Davis and Don Davis (no relation) and were originally known by the acronym LEDE ("Live End Dead End").

The relationships I outlined above were identified by David Griesinger. Here is a white paper from his website: http://www.davidgriesinger.com/direct_liveness.doc.

Jay Mitchell said:
widrace said:
Here's some more of that kinda stuff for the hardcore....

http://www.fmdesign.com/support/ETC_article.pdf
That information relates to recording studio design and to making control acoustics inaudible, rather than to the reverberation characteristics that make for the best halls. The criteria Lars explains in the linked article were originally identified and quantified by Chips Davis and Don Davis (no relation) and were originally known by the acronym LEDE ("Live End Dead End").

The relationships I outlined above were identified by David Griesinger. Here is a white paper from his website: http://www.davidgriesinger.com/direct_liveness.doc.

Ok. I've now read both of those links.

What I'd like is a starting point for the reverb... perhaps a reverb 'tweak' thread is in order? What are your starting points for the early delay, the tail delay in a small room, medium room, large room and their comparable hall equivalents?

I have always struggled with reverbs; I don't have the knowledge and understanding of how to set them given the parameters so I often look for default settings that work and leave them. I admit it.

I just want a starting point.

I started a thread on in the room reverb settings, lets make one for all type of reverb settings !

Scott Peterson said:
I have always struggled with reverbs; I don't have the knowledge and understanding of how to set them given the parameters so I often look for default settings that work and leave them.

+1. I prefer to use a delay, and let the stage add reverb. I know some theory, but I lack the ability to translate it into a patch.

Well, obviously the true test will be live with the band this weekend, but at medium volume in my studio, putting predelay @40ms and tail delay @110 really sounds good. I also bumped pre-level up from -15 to -8 which seemed to help.

Was gonna create my own thread but I said what the heck... I finally had my first live practice with 9.0... It sounded thick!!!! And the distortion palm mutes were hitting my chest hard!!! It was very cold and I'm sure the concrete floor was eating up some low end but either way it was very freaking awesome!!! Thanks Cliff!!!

Back
Top Bottom