Post Your Axe-Fx III Rigs Here!

so hey, how does the Axe's Legacy model compare to the Legacy 3?
I know the Axe-Fx models the gen-1 Legacy, but I'm curious to know what the major differences are.

...then run my powercord (~20ft) from the Furman direct to the SKB via the powerCON connector. That connector splits AC into 3 plugs for all the devices in the rack.
Can you describe or show a pic of how that works (the power split)? Power distribution is the only thing standing between me and a 4U rack.

I just cut the cords to length and soldered all of them to the powercon jack. Then I took a plastic chair leg cap split one side of it and cut a hole in the side so that it fits over the back of the powercon, then fastened with a tie strap to keep anything from coming into contact with bare wire. Hate a bunch of loops of extra cable. I would take a pict but the rack is in the van and its raining.

Reactions: Rex
I just cut the cords to length and soldered all of them to the powercon jack. Then I took a plastic chair leg cap split one side of it and cut a hole in the side so that it fits over the back of the powercon, then fastened with a tie strap to keep anything from coming into contact with bare wire. Hate a bunch of loops of extra cable. I would take a pict but the rack is in the van and its raining.
Clever. Unfortunately, some of my gear needs wall warts, so soldering power cords won't work for me.

Clever. Unfortunately, some of my gear needs wall warts, so soldering power cords won't work for me.
My VAFAM panel uses an IEC C14 connector (standard computer style power jack) and the backside has two 12" pigtails soldered on with NEMA 5-15R connectors (like the end of an extension cord).

I did this in case I wanted to forego a power conditioner. Can work fine with wall warts.

I asked Hans to put 3 on and he said there was no good way to do it so it would be reliable - not enough room to solder. Maybe a powercon plug has more room?

Did VFAM ever get back to making custom patch bays? I wound up building my own being they weren't answering emails or calls.

Did VFAM ever get back to making custom patch bays? I wound up building my own being they weren't answering emails or calls.
I don't think so. The family was supposed to start back up after Hans passed, but I've not heard of anyone getting any response back from them since then. :(

Gotcha. Can you mount a rack mount power strip in the the back and just wire that in?
I could, but it would't work out. The Axe III is about 10" deep behind the rail; that's before you consider the added length of the connectors plugged into it. An old-school Furman is about 6" deep. In an extra-deep rack with 17" between rails, that only leave a one-inch gap to navigate your those plugs and wall warts — and your fingers.

It's worse with current Furman products. They run 10" deep or more. You'd need well over 20" between rails to make it work.

My VAFAM panel uses an IEC C14 connector (standard computer style power jack) and the backside has two 12" pigtails soldered on with NEMA 5-15R connectors (like the end of an extension cord).

I did this in case I wanted to forego a power conditioner. Can work fine with wall warts.
How would you keep the wall warts from knocking around in the case?

View attachment 46398

... Still a work in progress. Excuse the disarray, but the signal flow is:
Guitar — AxeFX3 — guitar signal splits immediately...
Row 1) typical signal path Amp / Cab / Effects
Row 2) signal out Output 3 — Carvin Legacy 3 Amp — Two Notes Studio Loadbox / Cab Sim — back in Input 2 (stereo) — Effects
... both rows reunite to share delay and reverb.

I’m REALLY digging the sounds of the live Amp mixed in... I’ve always liked the Carvin Legacy 3’s clean tone.

I’m wondering if a better way to do it would be to (buffered) split the guitar signal and go into the AxeFX3 and Amp simultaneously instead of taking the guitar’s dry signal from an AxeFX3 output. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Sounds like you want to run W-D or W-D-W. Is that the goal?

Its true there isn't a ton of space between a III and a Furman if they are mounted front to back, but, what I found out with mine is that they actually fit together just fine in my normal depth Gator with the Furman on the bottom row and with the Axe III having a right angle power plug.

Basically all the connections coming out the back of my III are on the top row of the rear jacks, so even though they stick out several inches from the rear of the unit (the XLR's in particular) they all are sticking out over the top of the Furman in the lower row.

In a normal depth 3U rack I can have the III fill the front, and then my Furman on the bottom of the back side, and the patch panel on the top of the backside, with the inbetween space giving room for the connections coming out of the III.

Wouldnt work with a shallower rack, or a deeper Furman, or if you used more of the bottom row of jacks on the III, but in some instances you can utilize front and rear rails at the same time.

Sounds like you want to run W-D or W-D-W. Is that the goal?
That’s certainly one of the things I had in mind. The other was real-time mixing of the two signal chains with an expression pedal (a la Dweezil Zappa).

At first the goal was just to have 2 amps, 2 cabs and enough effects to get really creative with tones. If I remove 1 amp and cab block from the Axe3’s processor (by using a real amp and the Two Notes Studio), then the Axe3 has plenty of horsepower to do some interesting effects chains.

The journey continues...

View attachment 46398

... Still a work in progress. Excuse the disarray, but the signal flow is:
Guitar — AxeFX3 — guitar signal splits immediately...
Row 1) typical signal path Amp / Cab / Effects
Row 2) signal out Output 3 — Carvin Legacy 3 Amp — Two Notes Studio Loadbox / Cab Sim — back in Input 2 (stereo) — Effects
... both rows reunite to share delay and reverb.

I’m REALLY digging the sounds of the live Amp mixed in... I’ve always liked the Carvin Legacy 3’s clean tone.

I’m wondering if a better way to do it would be to (buffered) split the guitar signal and go into the AxeFX3 and Amp simultaneously instead of taking the guitar’s dry signal from an AxeFX3 output. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Cool setup. I'd eliminate as many peripherals as possible. Such as the two notes, you could simply come back into the axe into a cab block.

Its true there isn't a ton of space between a III and a Furman if they are mounted front to back, but, what I found out with mine is that they actually fit together just fine in my normal depth Gator with the Furman on the bottom row and with the Axe III having a right angle power plug.

Basically all the connections coming out the back of my III are on the top row of the rear jacks, so even though they stick out several inches from the rear of the unit (the XLR's in particular) they all are sticking out over the top of the Furman in the lower row.

In a normal depth 3U rack I can have the III fill the front, and then my Furman on the bottom of the back side, and the patch panel on the top of the backside, with the inbetween space giving room for the connections coming out of the III.

Wouldnt work with a shallower rack, or a deeper Furman, or if you used more of the bottom row of jacks on the III, but in some instances you can utilize front and rear rails at the same time.
There was a thread here in the past where someone used a non-rack mounted Furman that was designed for home entertainment use. It was fairly small and had only two plugs, but could be attached to the rack with Velcro.

Edit:

Here is a link to the one I was thinking of. Furman AC-215A:

Amazon product ASIN B003PJ6NPO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom