Implemented Option to make a block scene-independent

Great timing for this. I was super frustrated this weekend for the lack of this feature that I started probing external midi controllers again. I sure hope the "ignore" state is selectable on a per-scene basis and not scene-wide.

How is this helpful in live situations. Ignorant question, I know, but humor me, I just play in front of my PC monitor.
For me, I want my amp and cab to not be affected by the scene. My scenes control my effect bypass and channels. I never change the amp/cab model in the middle of a song. It would be used mostly in rehearsals for me.

I like to test out new amps for fun, but sometimes my first pass at a new amp does not sit right in the mix during rehearsals. When the experimental amp/cab are not sitting right, I want to change my amp and cab channel back to something tried and true in all the scenes. At the moment, changing the amp and cab channel only changes it for the current scene. This means I need to go through all 8 of my scenes and change the amp and cab channel, which takes a while. It's not ideal in our limited rehearsal time to have to pause the whole band for a couple of minutes just so I can change settings.

Sweet. I assume it'll be implemented on a preset basis, so you can have different options in various presets...

How is this helpful in live situations. Ignorant question, I know, but humor me, I just play in front of my PC monitor.
It's not an ignorant question, as there are a lot of different ways to use a guitar rig.

For me, it's really simple - fewer presses to get to any given combo. If I have 4 amp gain settings and 20 FX configurations, doing it with scenes would require 80 individually programmed combinations, which means I potentially have to scroll through 10 Presets to get to one. With them separate, I have 4 buttons dedicated to the 4 amp gains, and then the rest of the board can be presets; with a 16-button MIDI board (withh press and hold selection), I can get to everything on one page with only two maximum presses.

It's not an ignorant question, as there are a lot of different ways to use a guitar rig.

For me, it's really simple - fewer presses to get to any given combo. If I have 4 amp gain settings and 20 FX configurations, doing it with scenes would require 80 individually programmed combinations, which means I potentially have to scroll through 10 Presets to get to one. With them separate, I have 4 buttons dedicated to the 4 amp gains, and then the rest of the board can be presets; with a 16-button MIDI board (withh press and hold selection), I can get to everything on one page with only two maximum presses.
I do pretty much exactly that now without this new feature. (Not that I'm dinging it, it'd be cool.)

4 switches change scenes, with different amp and drive settings. Hold on those goes to the other 4 scenes, for whatever.

I have a few utility switches, then the rest are effects, mostly toggles, one for rotary channel change for slow/fast.

That gives me control over nearly everything that fits in a mk I CPU. Biggest limitation is the number of switches.

So this is is cool, and I'll probably use it, but I'm still jonesing for channel groups and bypass groups :)

I do pretty much exactly that now without this new feature. (Not that I'm dinging it, it'd be cool.)

4 switches change scenes, with different amp and drive settings. Hold on those goes to the other 4 scenes, for whatever.

I have a few utility switches, then the rest are effects, mostly toggles, one for rotary channel change for slow/fast.

That gives me control over nearly everything that fits in a mk I CPU. Biggest limitation is the number of switches.

So this is is cool, and I'll probably use it, but I'm still jonesing for channel groups and bypass groups :)
That's really not it at all - that's more like a standard pedalboard with discrete pedals; I haven't used that kind of rig in decades.

My individual FX patches change ALL of them, just not the amp and cab blocks, and not just a single parameter or bypass. One might be light compression with a touch of chorus and heavy reverb, another with reverb and a 180 ms delay; the next may be a dry flange, followed by a tight slap delay with the tiniest bit of plate 'verb.. One press changes everything at once. I've got two delay blocks selected via multiplexers so that I can get to 8 different delay settings. The net result is that I can get from disco to funk to metal to country to 70s rock in only two presses.

Hmmm, so in that hypothetical rig, your 4 amp gains are scenes, and your fx setups are presets?

Does this new feature exempt selected blocks from both bypass state and channel assignment changes caused by scenes?

Hmmm, so in that hypothetical rig, your 4 amp gains are scenes, and your fx setups are presets?

Does this new feature exempt selected blocks from both bypass state and channel assignment changes caused by scenes?
No, what I do today is a single preset with one default scene. Everything else is done with a MIDI controller. In effect, my patches are built in the controller, not the Axe FX. Every IA in the MIDI board has two steps for each block - channel select and bypass select. Between bypass selection and multiplex selection, you can do a tremendous amount.

With the new ability to block the amp and cab block from.changing with Scene changes, I could use the MIDI programming just to select amp/cab block channel, then use the Scenes for the FX config.

For me its about keeping the link between any effects that affect gain or distortion (amps, EQ's, compressors, gates, drives, etc) and decoupling the link between all of that and reverbs and delays. The FC12 controller has tons of switches, so with this change, I'll truly be able to just live inside one preset, and have a true 'improv' approach to my playing; like I do with my real amp and pedalboard. Without having to pre-plan every single combination and without being stuck with just 8 combinations through solely using scenes.

I do the same with my Helix, it's pretty fantastic. But fewer switches!

Back
Top Bottom