Implemented Option to make a block scene-independent

I've attached a screenshot of how I set up channel select on the hold function of my phaser button.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought question was how to change scenes on the Axe, but have some blocks' on-off state not be affected. I know nothing about the RJM's capabilities really, but that screen shot appears to be for a switch that changes a block's channel.

Am I confused, either about the question, or what that screenshot shows?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought question was how to change scenes on the Axe, but have some blocks' on-off state not be affected. I know nothing about the RJM's capabilities really, but that screen shot appears to be for a switch that changes a block's channel.

Am I confused, either about the question, or what that screenshot shows?
The screenshot was a direct reply to the user that asked me how I did to set it up on the RJM to make that happen.

The screenshot was a direct reply to the user that asked me how I did to set it up on the RJM to make that happen.
I'm confused about what "it" is in that sentence.

I thought the original post being replied to in the post this was in reference to was this;
I too am looking for this feature.

In my case, I want the pitch block to be independent of scene changes. Bypass state can be made independent now via control switched, but I'd like to be able to switch between the different channels of the pitch block independently of scene changes, and there's no way to do that today (that I'm aware of).
The FCs can already change the channel of a block, to a specific one, toggle between two, or cycle through a range, that's not the tricky part.

What there isn't way to do, and what I thought the question was about, is a way to exempt a block from having its bypass state and/or channel setting affected by scene changes.

Please excuse if I'm off base here.

I'm confused about what "it" is in that sentence.

I thought the original post being replied to in the post this was in reference to was this;

The FCs can already change the channel of a block, to a specific one, toggle between two, or cycle through a range, that's not the tricky part.

What there isn't way to do, and what I thought the question was about, is a way to exempt a block from having its bypass state and/or channel setting affected by scene changes.

Please excuse if I'm off base here.
Again, I was directly replying to another user than the OP who wanted to know how to do it with an RJM MMGT controller. Just go back a page and read, it's easier than explaining.

I've attached a screenshot of how I set up channel select on the hold function of my phaser button.
I don't see anything about this setting that would allow the IA state or the block's channel to persist between scene changes because of anything the RJM is doing for block.

Is it possible you've got Scene Revert set to off and are just mistaken that the RJM is doing something to help you here?

Note: I use a GT22 myself and am pretty clued in to how it works and can't think of how you'd use the RJM to presist an IA's state across scene changes in a way that would make just one, single block "scene independent" the way the OP requested. Scene Revert = Off does this, but it does it for all blocks.

I don't see anything about this setting that would allow the IA state or the block's channel to persist between scene changes because of anything the RJM is doing for block.

Is it possible you've got Scene Revert set to off and are just mistaken that the RJM is doing something to help you here?

Note: I use a GT22 myself and am pretty clued in to how it works and can't think of how you'd use the RJM to presist an IA's state across scene changes in a way that would make just one, single block "scene independent" the way the OP requested. Scene Revert = Off does this, but it does it for all blocks.
I asked Ron how I could make this work, and this is the method he suggested. And, it works perfectly. If I select phaser channel b on the board, then all scenes will have the phaser switch to channel b. The MMGT overrides the Axe-Fx in this case, even with bi-directional midi enabled.

The only other thing that needs to happen is to select scenes via preset buttons instead of IA buttons. Luckily, there already is a function for this on the MMGT.

How does Scene Revert make a block scene independent? Are you meaning something specific in conjunction with the GT?

How does Scene Revert make a block scene independent? Are you meaning something specific in conjunction with the GT?
It doesn't, but it'd need to be off to work with the GT22 doing anything specific to control IA state from the controller. Otherwise it's fighting with the GT22's desired state control.

I asked Ron how I could make this work, and this is the method he suggested. And, it works perfectly. If I select phaser channel b on the board, then all scenes will have the phaser switch to channel b. The MMGT overrides the Axe-Fx in this case, even with bi-directional midi enabled.
If a block is active and you use this approach and then change scenes does the block state glitch? Try it with a delay block with two very different algorithms on channels A and B -- and then try and hold the channel steady from the GT22 while changing scenes. Or an amp block?

This sort of outboard state control usally has glitches associated with it because the controllers sends the scene change message followed by the desired IA state messages (channels and bypass state). The AFIII will respond to the scene change (and do the block setup based on the scene change) and then process the block state messages from the controller. So you can get weird things happening when you do this.

Do you experience anything like that?

The only other thing that needs to happen is to select scenes via preset buttons instead of IA buttons. Luckily, there already is a function for this on the MMGT.
What does that mean? Like you need to use MIDI Mapping on the III to call up a preset at a specific scene and never use scene select SysEx messages to select scenes?

If a block is active and you use this approach and then change scenes does the block state glitch? Try it with a delay block with two very different algorithms on channels A and B -- and then try and hold the channel steady from the GT22 while changing scenes. Or an amp block?

This sort of outboard state control usally has glitches associated with it because the controllers sends the scene change message followed by the desired IA state messages (channels and bypass state). The AFIII will respond to the scene change (and do the block setup based on the scene change) and then process the block state messages from the controller. So you can get weird things happening when you do this.

Do you experience anything like that?

What does that mean? Like you need to use MIDI Mapping on the III to call up a preset at a specific scene and never use scene select SysEx messages to select scenes?
No audio glitching worth mentioning. Meaning, if it is there, it's such a short time frame that not even anal old me is bothered. I've done it this way for years. I used a Liquid Foot controller before and used it the same way. If you look at the Axe-Fx itself in layout mode, then the block might flicker for just a split second when you change scene and the block is forced to change channel. But as Cliff has said, audio has priority over the visual stuff on the Axe.

No, it's an option under "Get Preset Names". It gets all the scenes from the Axe. and converts them to GT presets.

No audio glitching worth mentioning. Meaning, if it is there, it's such a short time frame that not even anal old me is bothered. I've done it this way for years. I used a Liquid Foot controller before and used it the same way. If you look at the Axe-Fx itself in layout mode, then the block might flicker for just a split second when you change scene and the block is forced to change channel. But as Cliff has said, audio has priority over the visual stuff on the Axe.

No, it's an option under "Get Preset Names". It gets all the scenes from the Axe. and converts them to GT presets.
Thanks. I'll have to experiment with this approach.

Well, I've experimented, and cannot get it to work. With Scene Revert turned on in the Axe-FX settings, I use the IA Cycle button to switch to channel B on a given block, change scene, and the block reverts to channel A (the "saved" channel).

Last edited:
Well, I've experimenter, and cannot get it to work. With Scene Revert turned on in the Axe-FX settings, I use the IA Cycle button to switch to channel B on a given block, change scene, and the block reverts to channel A (the "saved" channel).
I think you’re going to want Scene Revert set to off.

In my case, I'm trying to have a pitch shift block that operates independently (example, I could switch on the pitch shifter and set it to channel B, and it would remain on and set to channel B across all scenes until I turn it off or change the channel).

I have a use case for it as well with the IR Player that I would like to experiment with, but it's not workable unless I can get it to keep the currently selected channel and bypass state across scene changes.

Last edited:
I do own an RJM controller, a Mastermind GT/22. @guitarnerdswe seemed to imply it was possible to achieve maintaining block channel selection across scene changes with Scene Revert turned on. I've tried to setup an IA button on my GT/22 similarly to guitarnerdswe, but am not having any luck getting it to work as implied.

On reviewing guitarnerdswe's notes, I see a mention of settings scenes with preset buttons instead of IA buttons. Does that mean you're programming what's on in each scene via presets in the RJM? If so, I don't want to do that, that's a level of inter-device dependencies/complexities I really don't want to have to go down.

The only way to do it, AFAIK, is to assign an external controller to the Bypass switch of a block and control that external controller with a button on the MMGT, and that MMGT button needs to have Send CC on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change both checked. (On an FC this is accomplished by assigning a Control Switch to Bypass.) The ext.controller has to be assigned to Bypass in every preset that should maintain the block's state through preset / scene switching. The block will maintain its state regardless of the Scene Revert setting. Note that after having assigned an ext.controller to Bypass, the block's state can no longer be pre-programmed to be ON or OFF per preset / scene; the MMGT's button determines its state.

On reviewing guitarnerdswe's notes, I see a mention of settings scenes with preset buttons instead of IA buttons. Does that mean you're programming what's on in each scene via presets in the RJM? If so, I don't want to do that, that's a level of inter-device dependencies/complexities I really don't want to have to go down.
I've attached my RJM setup file. It's easier for you to take a poke around than me running down everything in it :)

Attachments

• Niklas.rjs
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom