Implemented Option to make a block scene-independent

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Since there's a good chance that the III will include 3 AMP blocks, I wish there was an option on each block to select if it was Scene independent

I would like to make one big Preset which would contain 3-4 AMPS (using different blocks or channels) and 8 scenes to change between FX settings. But I don't want the scenes to change my AMP block.

I'm pretty sure that if you assign the bypass switch to a foot controller, this will take precedence over the saved state in the scene. Has anyone tried it?

I'm pretty sure that if you assign the bypass switch to a foot controller, this will take precedence over the saved state in the scene. Has anyone tried it?
That will preserve the block's bypass state across scene changes, but it won't preserve its channel.

Yeah, that's right. So I think if I were to get behind any idea it would be that of @NeoSound in post #5 above. Blocks (or just amp and cab?) would need an option for "Exempt from Scene Changes".

I really can't imagine this would be a widely used feature though.

Yeah, that's right. So I think if I were to get behind any idea it would be that of @NeoSound in post #5 above. Blocks (or just amp and cab?) would need an option for "Exempt from Scene Changes".

It would be a huge help for several scenarios, but the most obvious is if you are running two guitars, or a guitar and bass. One guy could use scenes and the other guy wouldn't be affected. If we had scene channels or some other such more complex feature, then both guys could use scenes which would be really cool

We have 2 Axe3's in my band. I'm planning to have backup presets set aside that are 2 guitar, this way if one or the other goes down we are each other's backup. I'm just not sure how to control them yet

On this very rare occasion I think your expectation might be wrong. :)

A rig where I can switch parts of the system (fx) independently of other parts (Amp/Cab), is my ideal setup, sort of.

I would use this option with the Amp and Cab blocks only.

A full implementation and total flexibility would include the ability to turn on/off "Exempt", controlled with a switch. This would let us determine at will whether the next scene should load the pre-programmed Amp/Cab, or stick to the current one. This truly would be my wet dream setup. :)

@yek :

"Exempt this block from having its Channel altered by Scene Changes" certainly sounds like something we'd all want.

But then I take a step back and ask, "Wait a minute. What's the difference between THAT, and just setting all the Scenes to the same Channel?" Wouldn't it have the same effect?

Then I take another step back and think, "OK, Yek would not have neglected something so obvious. What'm I missing?"

Then I think, "He probably wants to change the Channel on his Amp Block, but using something OTHER than Scene changes...and yet STILL have Scene changes which alter the channels of other blocks."

Then I think, "Okay, so why doesn't he just DO that? Just go to Scene 1 (with one footswitch), which sets the channels of all the effects blocks...then press some different switch to select the correct Amp Block channel? What's wrong with that?"

Yek, can you clarify what the issue is, here?

Let me try to clear this up for you with an example.

You have a single preset. The single Amp block's channels provide 4 amp sounds: clean - crunch - rock - heavy. Scenes 1-4 are dedicated to those sounds. Scenes 5-8 are dedicated to effects. I have to select an amp channel in scenes 5-8. Let's say I chose channel A for those scenes.

I'm playing happily on scene 2: Crunch. I have a sudden urge to add the effects from scene 7. But if I change to scene 7, my amp will switch to clean, and I don't want that, I want to keep my crunch sound. "Exempt" would make this possible: it would change everything to scene 7, except the "Exempted" blocks, these would remain untouched.

But "Exempt" sort of has the same issue as scenes: it's a pre-programmed setting, saved with the scene/preset. Sometimes it would get in the way. Let's say I've enabled "Exempt" in the example above. But this time I want to switch to scene 7 and also to the programmed "clean" amp channel. "Exempt" would prohibit this.

That's why I added the final suggestion: add an "Exempt on/off" switch.

Of course you can alternatively also change scenes and then switch an Amp channel switch or whatever. But this requires that you have programmed such a switch on your controller, and it changes the sound for a moment. Also, it's not quite in line with the principle behind scenes.

Last edited:
Then I think, "He probably wants to change the Channel on his Amp Block, but using something OTHER than Scene changes...and yet STILL have Scene changes which alter the channels of other blocks."

Then I think, "Okay, so why doesn't he just DO that? Just go to Scene 1 (with one footswitch), which sets the channels of all the effects blocks...then press some different switch to select the correct Amp Block channel? What's wrong with that?"
Because that’s two stomps — and two changes to your tone — to get to where you could get with a single stomp and no intermediate, undesired tone change.

Because that’s two stomps — and two changes to your tone — to get to where you could get with a single stomp and no intermediate, undesired tone change.
Rex,

I don't think you were following the intent of my post, there. (Understandable; you'd have had to read it in context.)

What you say is true, of course. But it's beside the point because I wasn't expressing a desire of my own. I was trying to "read Yek's mind" and understand what HE was after. And HE was clearly NOT trying to achieve both the Amp channel-change, and all the other effects channel-changes, in a single stomp.

I myself DO want the single-stomp changeover, which is why I assign everything to a pre-planned scene. And it's also why Yek's feature-wish never occurred to me.

But he's saying there are times that he doesn't want that. He wants one stomp for effects, which leaves the Amp unchanged; then, a separate stomp for the Amp, which leaves the effects unchanged, so that they remain independent.

So it's in THAT context that I was asking why he couldn't already achieve the desired effect without a new "Scene-Change-Independence" feature. His example, above ^^^, clears that up.

Rex,

I don't think you were following the intent of my post, there. (Understandable; you'd have had to read it in context.)

What you say is true, of course. But it's beside the point because I wasn't expressing a desire of my own. I was trying to "read Yek's mind" and understand what HE was after. And HE was clearly NOT trying to achieve both the Amp channel-change, and all the other effects channel-changes, in a single stomp.

I myself DO want the single-stomp changeover, which is why I assign everything to a pre-planned scene. And it's also why Yek's feature-wish never occurred to me.

But he's saying there are times that he doesn't want that. He wants one stomp for effects, which leaves the Amp unchanged; then, a separate stomp for the Amp, which leaves the effects unchanged, so that they remain independent.

So it's in THAT context that I was asking why he couldn't already achieve the desired effect without a new "Scene-Change-Independence" feature. His example, above ^^^, clears that up.
I think we’re both coming from the same place. :)

How I would use this: I'd have an AMP (and probably a CAB) block with multiple amp types on it and I'd pick the amp type with a footswitch and then I'd want all my scenes to keep that choice fixed, but alter all the things *around* the AMP block as normal.

See my Trey A preset for the III -- I could pick one of the three AMP+CAB pairings as the basis for the sounds and then I'd like scenes to not change those two selections.

But "Exempt" sort of has the same issue as scenes: it's a pre-programmed setting, saved with the scene/preset. Sometimes it would get in the way. Let's say I've enabled "Exempt" in the example above. But this time I want to switch to scene 7 and also to the programmed "clean" amp channel. "Exempt" would prohibit this.

you could have 4 scenes with the amp locked to that scene, so when you hit one of those 4 the amp changes to the amp set for that scene. then 4 other scenes where the amp is on manual, if you hit those scenes everything changes except the amp, you can have a separate controller for amp channels to change amp channels whenever you want. the amp-locked scenes and the amp controller change amp channels.

i don't see how this would be so hard to implement, other than the part of getting the block state to get transmitted to update the various controllers, it's just sending a signal to the block to change, or breaking that connection from the scene brain. i'm at a disadvantage of not knowing if "hard to implement" actually means a rats nest of digital wires that i don't understand, or tech speak for "way too much on the table right now, that's number 98980987 on the to do list and we don't have enough elves"

Back
Top Bottom