OMG 9 without FC-6: How to use the 3 switches by themselves

I think I found it. It is the Upper Limit setting available per foot switch. Strange configuration UI if you ask me.
That's actually a good place to have the bank limits. If you're at a gig, and you want to restrict the range to six presets, you do it on the pedalboard. If it was a global setting, you'd prevent your entire rig from ever reaching more than six presets.

This is brilliant. I just made a few changes to suit my own flow.
  • Re-arranged the effects to suit me.
  • Set Switch 2 in L4V2 as a Control Switch (CS2) so I can use the amp input boost function beside the Drive.
  • Set the HOLD function on Switch 1 L4V2 to select Scene 4 so I have instant access to 4 scenes instead of 3.
I also have a 2 button stand-in switch. It doesn't matter if I use this or not, but it just means less foot taps if I do.
  • Sw1 set to Tap Tempo/Hold for Tuner (less foot presses)
  • Sw2 set to toggle between Scenes(Tap) and Effects(Hold) views.

Cheers.

*It would be great if OMG3 was loadable from the defaults menu - I suspect more people have ONLY the FM3 than have both FM3/FC6.

I'm loving the 3 button usage, and seriously considering selling my FC6
Did you end up selling your FC6? After uploading this OMG3 layout, I pulled my whole temple audio duo 34 apart and am just using the FM3 with a Mission Engineering expression pedal for wah. Wish I’d stumbled onto this thread before I bought the FC6 honestly.

Is it easily doable to use a 3 button midi switch to simultaneously emulate OMG3 layout? I have my unit mounted up at eye level, not gigging now, so would like to leave it there but also be able to use a 3 button footswitch on ground and get used to navigating with OMG3. Thank you.

Is it easily doable to use a 3 button midi switch to simultaneously emulate OMG3 layout? I have my unit mounted up at eye level, not gigging now, so would like to leave it there but also be able to use a 3 button footswitch on ground and get used to navigating with OMG3. Thank you.
It depends on whether the MIDI switch supports tab and long-press. If it does you can probably get there.

Nope. You'd need two-way communications, separate programmable displays per switch, and the ability to redefine footswitches on the fly.

Nope. You'd need two-way communications, separate programmable displays per switch, and the ability to redefine footswitches on the fly.
There are MIDI controllers that can do most of what an FC can do, but they start around $1,000 .

I noticed while testing the original layout scheme, that the L4V1 "SCENES" button LED was lit dim, in contrast to the PRESETS and EFFECTS buttons which are lit bright.

By changing the TAP function to switch to absolute layout/view instead of view increment/decrement on the current layout, the LED ring is lit bright.
Sorry for my OCD, but that seemed more consistent to me :).
1630420095484.png
Furthermore, personally I prefer to disable the layout links in the preset select view (L4V4). Mostly when I want to go switching presets (when debating with the band what song to play next) I want to switch between 3 (or more) presets repeatedly, without going back to scenes. This is also faster when you accidentally choose a wrong preset, so you can quickly correct your mistake. The first scene is mostly the beginning of a song anyway so that buys you some time to go back to scenes mode if required...

Thought I'd share these remarks.

@Patzag, Thanks for sharing this. It really adds to the flexibility of the FM3. It took a little time of reading other folks posts and questions in this thread and the OMG9 thread for me to understand what is going on with both, such as the layout loading on starting up and bank size and where to do the changes. Last week I loaded the OMG9, the automatic installation, and played around with it the for bit. Then uploaded your OMG9 without the FC6, layouts to appropriate slots and changing the layout on startup to 4 and bank size to 3. All works great trying out and noticed that the bank size should be left at 6 some pages back, so did that. Getting use to work flow and really appreciate it. Thanks again

@Patzag, Thanks for sharing this. It really adds to the flexibility of the FM3. It took a little time of reading other folks posts and questions in this thread and the OMG9 thread for me to understand what is going on with both, such as the layout loading on starting up and bank size and where to do the changes. Last week I loaded the OMG9, the automatic installation, and played around with it the for bit. Then uploaded your OMG9 without the FC6, layouts to appropriate slots and changing the layout on startup to 4 and bank size to 3. All works great trying out and noticed that the bank size should be left at 6 some pages back, so did that. Getting use to work flow and really appreciate it. Thanks again
Glad to be of service and thanks for the feedback! Always appreciated. :)

@Patzag I'm late to the party and just discovering this. It is very thoughtful and useful, thanks so much.

One question, in an earlier post you stated that you boot up to the Tuner view, I've searched but haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated. 👍

Help please. I am running OMG 9 with FM3 + FC6. I would like to load OMG 3 and keep Bank size 6 as you have described so that I can either use my FM3 + FC6 in Layout 8 or the FM3 alone in Layout 4 without need to change Bank size. I have read ever post in this thread and am still having troubles. I imported Layouts 4, 6 & 7 into their respective locations and this went fine. Next I loaded OMG BankSize6.fclayout and it loads up but then overwrites all my scene setups on the FC6. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Help please. I am running OMG 9 with FM3 + FC6. I would like to load OMG 3 and keep Bank size 6 as you have described so that I can either use my FM3 + FC6 in Layout 8 or the FM3 alone in Layout 4 without need to change Bank size. I have read ever post in this thread and am still having troubles. I imported Layouts 4, 6 & 7 into their respective locations and this went fine. Next I loaded OMG BankSize6.fclayout and it loads up but then overwrites all my scene setups on the FC6. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Hey Bytes.
Can you clarify what gets overwritten?

Yes. Thanks.

Everything seems to go fine importing OMG3 Layouts 4,6 & 7. Next I load in BankSize6.fclayout and the Scene layout on my FC6 gets changed.

The way I have my Preset 405 "Komet/Boogie" set up on the FC6 is as follows.

1. S1 Boogie/ S2 Komet 6L6 toggle
2. S3 Oct Dwn/ S4 Wham Dwn toggle
3. S5 Rotary/ S6 Tremolo toggle
4. S7 Rev Delay/ S8 Synth toggle
5. Ts9 Mod Effect
6. Mutron Effect

After I load BankSize6.fclayout

1. S1 Boogie
2. S2 Komet 6L6
3. S3 Oct Dwn
4. Wham Dwn
5. Rotary
6. Tremolo

No more toggling between Scenes and no effects.

Your custom layout is being overwritten by the OMG3.
There are no scene toggles in the OMG 6 or OMG 3 setups. This is a custom layout. So it will be overwritten if you load any layout on top of it.

I really appreciate your replies!! Any suggestions?

Just as an aside for anyone reading this thread PLEASE be sure to BACKUP your layout before you overwrite. I learned the hard way.

FM3 Edit > FC Controllers > Layouts > Edit > Export All Layouts ; )

So is there a way for me to switch between using my FM3/FC6/OMG9 & just the FM3/OMG3 alone?

Unless I am misunderstanding it looks like the only way I can switch back and forth would be...

To use FM3/OMG3 (without adjusting bank size) alone:
Import OMG3 Layouts 4,6,7, and BankSize6.fclayout

To use FM3/FC6/OMG9 (without re-adjusting bank size) :
Import my original saved layout backup file

Is that correct?

What I don't know is which layout are you trying to modify?
You should ONLY need to load the file in this post:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-3-switches-by-themselves.161070/post-2030463
And then modify the layout you want to mod to your taste.

Then save that as your own custom - ALL LAYOUTS file.
Hope this helps.

But realize that the mods will affect ALL presets. If you want the modifications to affect only a single preset, you need to use preset overides.
And one more piece of advice: Read the instructions. Do some experiments. Roll your own!

Back
Top Bottom