OMG 9 without FC-6: How to use the 3 switches by themselves

Hi,

Im pretty new, as I got my FM3 a couple weeks ago (which I absolutely love), so apologies for what might sounds as a silly question:
Regarding using the FM3//OMG9 and using the FM3 only:
When unplugging the FC-6, do I have to go into the setting each time, so I can use the FM3 with the master layout (like it was when I received it, which for now is fine, when only using the FM3) and then when plugging the FC-6 back, I also need to go to the settings to activate OMG9?

No option where the FM3 would auto detect if the FC-6 is plugged or not, so it either use the OMG9 mode or the default master layout?

About to purchase the FC-6, hence my questions to you guys.

Thanks! 🤘
Hi freak6767.
Unfortunately there is no option for auto detection of the FC6. If you decide to use the layouts that I have made, you will be able to use the FM3 with or without the FC6 by simply changing the initial layout
Hope this helps..

I am using the OMG-3 just fine, it works great! Except one thing mystifies me, even reading the manual and pdf doesn't help. When you Hold button 3, it takes you to the Looper, and I just want it to take me to the tuner. Not only can't I get it working, I can't even figure out why that button goes to the Looper. I've hit the manual and it just doesn't make sense to me.

@JRkelley Don't feel bad! It can be difficult to understand how it all works together.
It helps if you can use FM3-Edit.
I'm sure someone has a video up that shows basic switch programming.
Hang in there! The links below may help you.

Thanks! I'm using FM3-Edit, and able to do many great things, but I am just hung up on this. And "views" in general. I read and read, and my brain gets more and more scrambled :)

Hi. I am away from my gear right now, but the reason why you go to looper is because it is programmed that way.
To get to the tuner, you have to long-press 2 to go HOME and then Hold 1 to get to Utilities. Then you’ll be in the utility layout which has the Tuner.
Hold-3 goes to the looper layout.
Thanks! I'm using FM3-Edit, and able to do many great things, but I am just hung up on this. And "views" in general. I read and read, and my brain gets more and more scrambled :)

One more thing. The pdf attached to the OP shows you the layouts. It clearly shows that Hold-3 sends you to the looper.

Use that as a guide until you are familiar with it.

No doubt. I can't figure out how to actually change it. I looked at those PDFs and related manuals, and that is clearly what it is doing! I tried going in and changing anything that might possibly work to change Looper to something else, in my case I wanted to change it to tuner, or even utility. I have no issue getting to the tuner the way you mention, but I am clearly missing the WHY and the HOW to change it to something useful.

No doubt. I can't figure out how to actually change it. I looked at those PDFs and related manuals, and that is clearly what it is doing! I tried going in and changing anything that might possibly work to change Looper to something else, in my case I wanted to change it to tuner, or even utility. I have no issue getting to the tuner the way you mention, but I am clearly missing the WHY and the HOW to change it to something useful.
You’re not going to the Looper. You’re going to the Looper Layout. Layout Links are the secret here.

Got it now, after looking at again after the gig I was trying to set it up for. HA HA! not related to Layout Links I don't think, but they look like an interesting feature

I tried the original 3 layouts, power cycled, switched to layout 4 with bank size 3, no FC6, works fine as OMG3, digging it, it will be great for rehearsals! Just stick it in a backpack with the pedals and the cords. Love it!!:D

Then set bank size to 6, powered down, connected FC6, powered up, worked fine in OMG9 mode (default). Can go back and forth by using the correct starting layout and bank size. Again, loving it!!:D

Then just for grins 'n giggles I loaded the Bank6 all-layout from page 8, power cycled it, but found that even with bank set to 6 it still messes up, in both OMG3 and OMG9, in OMG9 I see multiple copies of the presets on the FC6, similarly in OMG3. ???:confused:

So, I finally gave up, loaded in my backup, then reloaded the original OMG3 4, 6, and 7 layouts from page 1, set starting layout & bank size appropriately (4/3 for OMG3 and 8/6 for OMG9, 8 is default) with power cycling as needed, and it works just fine.

By any chance was a new Bank6 all-layout posted after page 8?

I tried the original 3 layouts, power cycled, switched to layout 4 with bank size 3, no FC6, works fine as OMG3, digging it, it will be great for rehearsals! Just stick it in a backpack with the pedals and the cords. Love it!!:D

Then set bank size to 6, powered down, connected FC6, powered up, worked fine in OMG9 mode (default). Can go back and forth by using the correct starting layout and bank size. Again, loving it!!:D

Then just for grins 'n giggles I loaded the Bank6 all-layout from page 8, power cycled it, but found that even with bank set to 6 it still messes up, in both OMG3 and OMG9, in OMG9 I see multiple copies of the presets on the FC6, similarly in OMG3. ???:confused:

So, I finally gave up, loaded in my backup, then reloaded the original OMG3 4, 6, and 7 layouts from page 1, set starting layout & bank size appropriately (4/3 for OMG3 and 8/6 for OMG9, 8 is default) with power cycling as needed, and it works just fine.

By any chance was a new Bank6 all-layout posted after page 8?
What you are running into is that the FM3 will not maintain the preset assignment when you go from bank size 6 to 3.
I solved this by creating a “fake” bank size 3 using Bank size 6.
Do not set the bank size to 3. Leave it at 6 no matter how you use the unit. My latest posted layouts will allow you to use it as if you had a Bank size 3.
Otherwise you have to restore the layouts every time you change size. Not very elegant.

What you are running into is that the FM3 will not maintain the preset assignment when you go from bank size 6 to 3.
I solved this by creating a “fake” bank size 3 using Bank size 6.
Do not set the bank size to 3. Leave it at 6 no matter how you use the unit. My latest posted layouts will allow you to use it as if you had a Bank size 3.
Otherwise you have to restore the layouts every time you change size. Not very elegant.
Hm. Ok will try it again. I did change it to 6 and left it there after loading the all-layout, but maybe I did something wrong somewhere. The file on pg 8 #152 is the latest version, right?

Thanks!

EDIT- reloaded it and everything works as advertised, I must have done something wrong with previous load or setup.

BTW, what does the "LEVEL+/-" under "UTILITY" do? Not sure I really need it.

Last edited:
Hm. Ok will try it again. I did change it to 6 and left it there after loading the all-layout, but maybe I did something wrong somewhere. The file on pg 8 #152 is the latest version, right?

Thanks!
Correct. Make sure you are in Bank size 6, load the layouts, and don’t change bank size.
You must be in the correct bank size when you load the layouts. Not after.

Last edited:
Thanks. I followed the link in #1 to the all-layout file and used that, as all I saw in #1 were the three individual layouts & the pdf.

1663940784140.png

Anyway it works just fine now, woodshedded with it last night, I'll give it a live test at rehearsal next week.

What does the level +/- utility do?

Attachments

• 1663940721877.png
    1663940721877.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 1
In rehearsal I use this to level presets.
Quick press to lower volume by 1db
Long press to increase volume by 1 db.
Best to level loud presets down to avoid clipping.
Ah, hey that's pretty cool - thanks!

I would usually stick a vol/pan block with 3 dB of gain just before the out block, and in OMG9 used a per-preset switch to toggle it on if I needed more volume. But the +/- seems like a cool idea. I'm usually a little on the low side level wise so it should work out for me.

And yes, I already do level all my presets. I generally set my solo levels ~1 dB or so above the non-solo sections just to bring it up a little in the mix. Totally want to avoid clipping. 👍

Back
Top Bottom