New passive graphic EQ is the $hit

Hadn't even thought about using the passive EQ after the cab, only been using the passive GEQ in the amp block, so I tried it out with similar settings you guys are using... WOW!
It brings a lot of life into the tone, lately I've been kind of annoyed that I couldn't get my tone where I wanted it, this solved it all, great stuff! (Y)

Hadn't even thought about using the passive EQ after the cab, only been using the passive GEQ in the amp block, so I tried it out with similar settings you guys are using... WOW!
It brings a lot of life into the tone, lately I've been kind of annoyed that I couldn't get my tone where I wanted it, this solved it all, great stuff! (Y)

Yep - powerful stuff for sure

After reading this thread, I thought it was time to give it a try, using mainly the same settings as most of the comments. Amazing results! I haven't really been much of a tweaker so far, just some subtle changes on either stock presets or those that I pulled off of Axe Change.....that has usually been 'good enough', but lately, I have been less than satisfied with the overall tone, this is just what I needed.....only down side is it cuts into my playing time but I'm thinking the results will win in the long run.

I call the Passive EQs "instant hit record tone". Something about the tone sounds like every hit record from the 70's and 80's to me.

Cliff - can you confirm if the passive EQ actually colors the tone even when set completely flat? It seems to me that it does, but maybe I'm imagining it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I call the Passive EQs "instant hit record tone". Something about the tone sounds like every hit record from the 70's and 80's to me.

Yeah, I hear that quality too.

So I have a session coming up and could certainly use a hit record - should I just start ordering Teslas, Lambos and Ferraris now ?

Also Cliff - just so you have some time to prepare: I'd like my RB Artist signature Axe Fx III XXL to be in metallic Purple with some fancy artwork :)

Last edited:
So I tweaked the rest of my go to presets further last night and made 6 new once for an up coming tour, now all of my main presets have the 5 band passive EQ integrated, it's such a heaven send for me.

I reamped riffs, fills and solo parts that I was happy with and had checked off as done and ready for the client for 2 songs - it made an obvious positive difference.

I Don't think that I'll make a preset without it from now on - or rather not until Cliff drops another huge surprise and dare I say game changer on us in a future FW.

To me the 5 band passive EQ is close to a game changer, just insanely powerful and at the same time easy to use tool. Love it.

need to try it myself, but if it's that good, maybe put it on the output section instead of a block, that way it's everywhere.

Cliff - can you confirm if the passive EQ actually colors the tone even when set completely flat? It seems to me that it does, but maybe I'm imagining it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no coloration when the controls are flat.

Wildwind, both answers above are solid, but you can select the 5 band passive from Axe Edit, at least I had no problem selecting it by editing the type in the graphic EQ.
IIRC The 3 and 4 band passive graphic EQ does not show up in Axe Edit but the 5 band passive does.

Thanks - and to the others who responded as well. I did see that option in AE and tried it briefly but ran out of time. I'll dig into it Saturday. My unit isn't here right now. But I'm fired up about this option and will review all these suggestions then.

My highgain amp is always Mesa IIC+ and I've been using the famous V shape in amp GEQ
Yesterday I changed the type from Mark to 5band passive and it really smoothing out the tone in a great way

Now I'm confused which one to choose with the mark serie =)

You have to call Mesa and ask them for a 5 band passive eq, like the Axe-Fx II, in the next Mesa update.
I'm pretty sure Randall will be thrilled :D

I'm starting to try using it at the end of the chain instead of Para EQ to get the bass/treble
off the CLR. Soooo much quicker for levels and boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom