New passive graphic EQ is the $hit

Nobody is using the 5-band EQ in the amp block? Seems like a good place to implement it and keeps the CPU percentage down by not using an extra block.

+1 - Is there a difference between using an eq block just after the amp block, and using the amp's eq block with same settings?

Well there is a difference in that putting the EQ post cab will let you EQ the entire guitar signal (amp + cab) like you would do in a studio / recording situation.

Agreed. I added the 5-band passive, after the Cab, also to all presets. Decreasing Low all the way, and cutting High with 5 dB, brings out the guitar very nicely. No need to boost the 3 mid bands, in my case.

Do you use passive 5 way parametric or graphic eq after cab block?
If you use parametric whats your settings gain/Q/freq?

hmm have to try this. Just tried the passive in the amp block, and they sounded very good.

Yes, I gave the eq in the amp block a go too yesterday, and it fixed some things for me.

In Axe Edit, I only get the 5 band though, when I select 3 or 4 band, there's nothing there

Well there is a difference in that putting the EQ post cab will let you EQ the entire guitar signal (amp + cab) like you would do in a studio / recording situation.

If the cab block is linear (which it is unless you use alot of motor drive) then the order doesn't matter. EQ -> cab = cab -> EQ.

Yes, I gave the eq in the amp block a go too yesterday, and it fixed some things for me.

In Axe Edit, I only get the 5 band though, when I select 3 or 4 band, there's nothing there

I don't think AxeEdit is updated to handle all the passive EQ parameters yet. Use the front panel to see settings for the 3,4 band passive EQ.

I don't think AxeEdit is updated to handle all the passive EQ parameters yet. Use the front panel to see settings for the 3,4 band passive EQ.

AE is a little squirrelly with the new passive modes of the GEQ.

The passive GEQ is really easy from the front panel (I'm a die hard AE user though!).

A B C D are setup for the first 4 bands of the passive 5 band. Very simple to tweak.

I noted that playing at bedroom/practice levels the passive EQ makes no difference for me.
When the wife is out I'll crank it. :)

John

I run the mesa 5 band in all of my hi gain amps, regardless of the amp I'm using. I like the punch I get out of it and it sounds massive cranked.

The passive EQ's are a fantastic addition to the AxeFX II IMHO! I've used passive EQ / classic channel strip plug-in emulations (URS) in my DAW for some time now. I really like what they bring to guitar tracks! I'm really excited to have very similar tools in the AxeFX II. I haven't made any sort of regular use of EQ in the AxeFX (Ultra or II) until now. I'm now more often than not adding an EQ block nasty the 5 band graphic) after the Cab block for very subtle tweaks with fantastic results.

Can anyone please post some settings for a small room type situation... I will use my ears agreed but a baseline starting point from the experts keeps us grounded

Can anyone please post some settings for a small room type situation... I will use my ears agreed but a baseline starting point from the experts keeps us grounded

I haven't tried it out with a band yet, but I've found in a small room alone, most of the patches I've gravitated towards this with the 5-band passive:

Cut lows about 2.5-3db
Boost low mids about 2.5db
No change to mids
Boost high mids about 2.5db
Cut highs about 2.5-3db

My highgain amp is always Mesa IIC+ and I've been using the famous V shape in amp GEQ
Yesterday I changed the type from Mark to 5band passive and it really smoothing out the tone in a great way

Now I'm confused which one to choose with the mark serie =)

Oh my God...what a great news!!! This passive EQ is an incredible gear!!! I put a 5 passive eq on almost 90 % of my patches...incredible headroom!!

Possible dumb question after reading all this twice - the new passive GEQ is NOT the same as the older 5-band Mesa? I am terrible at front panel editing, guess I just need to wait for the new AE.

I did try to edit via front panel - did not find anything called passive. Anyone care to enlighten the mentally deficient tonight?

It is not the same. In the amp block go to the Advanced page and scroll down till you see EQ type. Scroll through the choices and you'll see the Passive 5-band EQ. I think it's right after the 5-band Mark (Mesa) EQ.

Possible dumb question after reading all this twice - the new passive GEQ is NOT the same as the older 5-band Mesa? I am terrible at front panel editing, guess I just need to wait for the new AE.

I did try to edit via front panel - did not find anything called passive. Anyone care to enlighten the mentally deficient tonight?

Select the Graphic EQ as the block, hit Edit then on page one the Type knob....select the type you want...

It is not the same. In the amp block go to the Advanced page and scroll down till you see EQ type. Scroll through the choices and you'll see the Passive 5-band EQ. I think it's right after the 5-band Mark (Mesa) EQ.

Select the Graphic EQ as the block, hit Edit then on page one the Type knob....select the type you want...

Wildwind, both answers above are solid, but you can select the 5 band passive from Axe Edit, at least I had no problem selecting it by editing the type in the graphic EQ.
IIRC The 3 and 4 band passive graphic EQ does not show up in Axe Edit but the 5 band passive does.

So I tweaked the rest of my go to presets further last night and made 6 new once for an up coming tour, now all of my main presets have the 5 band passive EQ integrated, it's such a heaven send for me.

I reamped riffs, fills and solo parts that I was happy with and had checked off as done and ready for the client for 2 songs - it made an obvious positive difference.

I Don't think that I'll make a preset without it from now on - or rather not until Cliff drops another huge surprise and dare I say game changer on us in a future FW.

To me the 5 band passive EQ is close to a game changer, just insanely powerful and at the same time easy to use tool. Love it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom