New passive graphic EQ is the $hit

Rocket Brother

Power User
Hey Guys,
Maybe somebody else have already posted about this, if so apologies, but I haven't seen it and feel I need to give a big thumps up to Cliff for adding the passive graphic EQ.
It's so great, useful and easy/quick to work with that I've put the 5-band passive on all of the preset that I've had the time to audition with it - just updated to FW15.06 today.
My presets have been very well dialled in for a while now, but when I add the new passive graphic EQ I can in 20 seconds better each preset enormously.
On the live presets I've cut the low end, boosted or cut the low mids, boost the mids and the hi mids, and mostly boost the highs a bit.
This "quick fix" add a lot of body, fatness, punch and at the same time cut to my tones.
Amazing really.
Reminds me (unsurprisingly) of the wonders some of the best studio EQ's have made when you're recording.
Anyway just thought I'd give a shout out and a heads up on what have been a big find for me and my tones.
Try it and see if it works for you.
RB

Agreed. I added the 5-band passive, after the Cab, also to all presets. Decreasing Low all the way, and cutting High with 5 dB, brings out the guitar very nicely. No need to boost the 3 mid bands, in my case.

So do I! All of my presets have a five bands passive EQ block after the cabs. I cut the low mids about 1.5 db and boost all other mids band about 2 db. The difference is huge!! It gives my tone that polish recorded tone out of my studio monitors! I can't live without it anymore for sure!

Yep, forgot say in the OP that I put the 5-band passive graphic EQ right after the cab(s).

The need for (and relative balance between) mid and/or hi end boosts naturally depends on multiple factors such as desired tone (clean or mean), amp and cab models chosen, guitars used, choice of material and very much on the number and kind of other other instruments in the band - are you a power trio or 8 guys on stage, are you the only guitarist or are there 3 of you and so on.

Last edited:
Yeah, this even helps to create that (forbidden word) 'amp in the room' tone.

Only doing this when playing loud BTW (rehearsal/gig).

Yeah 'amp in the room' is definitely within reach, but more importantly to me; with the 5-band passive EQ I think that I'll actually better the tone compared to some of my 'real' tube amps that the Axe models.
Exciting experiments and times ahead.

Interesting that you guys are putting this after the Cab, I've been putting the 5 band passive as the first 'pedal' in the chain for subtle tweaking but I guess the effect will be more pronounced at the end of the chain. Must try it out.

Are you guys doing this for clean and dirty sounds or just dirty?
Both! Think of this like miking your rig and going into a vintage console and using this console eq to shape the sound. Long time ago, I had the chance doing sessions in a big studio and my signal chain being process into those kind of console is quite similar to what I get using those passive eq. Cliff is on something here, this could be the future of the Axe fx development. If he can model classic expensive mic preamps as well, we could add those unique colors to guitar tone we find on countless classic records. This is really exciting!

Interesting that you guys are putting this after the Cab, I've been putting the 5 band passive as the first 'pedal' in the chain for subtle tweaking but I guess the effect will be more pronounced at the end of the chain. Must try it out.

I tend to think of EQ before drives or the amp as most useful for taming and tightening the low end on hi-gain amps, but what I use the 5-band passive EQ for is just like when you mic your cab in the studio and rout the signal through a studio EQ to sculpt the overall tone of you guitar sound and carve out the right frequencies.

Are you guys doing this for clean and dirty sounds or just dirty?

Both

Both! Think of this like miking your rig and going into a vintage console and using this console eq to shape the sound. Long time ago, I had the chance doing sessions in a big studio and my signal chain being process into those kind of console is quite similar to what I get using those passive eq. Cliff is on something here, this could be the future of the Axe fx development. If he can model classic expensive mic preamps as well, we could add those unique colors to guitar tone we find on countless classic records. This is really exciting!

I made a wish in the wish list for modelling classic studio EQ's, compressors, consoles and preamps a while back and most seemed to not get why that could be relevant in the Axe - this shows just how relevant that wish is.
Mayby a processor (Studio Fx ???) aimed at this is one of the 6 products in development ??

I made a wish in the wish list for modelling classic studio EQ's, compressors, consoles and preamps a while back and most seemed to not get why that could be relevant in the Axe - this shows just how relevant that wish is.
Mayby a processor (Studio Fx ???) aimed at this is one of the 6 products in development ??
You have to experience what is it like to play your rig into an expensive console/ mic pre to understand the massive impact it has on your overall tone. The passive EQ is giving you some of these flavors. I can definitely recognize the essence of those old console playing with these EQ. I'm always after a polish recorded tone. This in the room thing doesn't make sense to me but I can understand why some players are chasing for this kind of tone and feel. Not my cup of tea and the Axe fx deliver what I'm after for sure!

Nobody is using the 5-band EQ in the amp block? Seems like a good place to implement it and keeps the CPU percentage down by not using an extra block.

Im using the 5 band eq in the amp then using a peq with the new passive shelving2 for my overall low and high cut. I with there was a version of this for the blocking function

Ok, I just spent 30 minutes or so playing with the 5-band passive EQ at the end if my chain.

Am I imagining things or does it add a little bit of something even when set flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the 4 band in all my presets. One on the DI line at the end of the chain and one on the FXL line going to the power amp/cab. Played Boogie amps so long that the frequency centers are what my ears are accustomed to for reference. Good stuff.

Steve

Nobody is using the 5-band EQ in the amp block? Seems like a good place to implement it and keeps the CPU percentage down by not using an extra block.

+1 - Is there a difference between using an eq block just after the amp block, and using the amp's eq block with same settings?

Back
Top Bottom