New passive graphic EQ is the $hit

I always pass all my recorded guitars through an Analog EQ VST like Pultec or Abbey Road and it makes a huge difference. It creates that professional touch that you can hear at good recordings. I still haven't tried it at the Axe-FX but I am very impatient. :p

Thank You Cliff!!

pultec_side_hq.png

Last edited:
Passive EQ. Tried it, used it, listened to it.... And agree. It is the Shit$ Have added 2 all my presets.

I always pass all my recorded guitars through an Analog EQ VST like Pultec or Abbey Road and it makes a huge difference. It creates that professional touch that you can hear at good recordings. I still haven't tried it at the Axe-FX but I am very impatient. :p

Thank You Cliff!!

pultec_side_hq.png

I agree! I've never actually played through a real Pultec but I use UAD Pultec pluging on a lot of tracks and it brings some life to all of them! I'm not sure the Pultec is a passive eq though. But the Axefx passive eq definitly brings the same kind of character and I love it!!

Those EQ are so good, l repeat, this is the future of the
Axe fx 2! Modeling those classic eq and consoles brings a whole new dimension to our beloved black box! This is a game changer! Sure there is room for other amps and effects (ADA MP-1, ok I've pluged it), but imagine adding some expensive mic preamps and console eq in the signal chain!!! This is where your tone get that polish sound in a big pro studio!! The only thing that can't be model is a pro engeneer, or can't it really not been done....

I agree! I've never actually played through a real Pultec but I use UAD Pultec pluging on a lot of tracks and it brings some life to all of them! I'm not sure the Pultec is a passive eq though. But the Axefx passive eq definitly brings the same kind of character and I love it!!

Every track gets a UAD Pultec . For starters it literally doesn't even need to be set for anything and it adds something.

I also am unaware if its considered passive....

And I have found the new FAS Passives to be excellent and super easy to use. A little goes a long way...

Alright guys this sounds awesome. But I have a challenge. I have the GEQ in every one of my presets after the cab block but had historically used it as a boost of 3db. So effectively it was always bypassed unless I wanted the boost. So I'd love to activate it and still use the GEQ for boost. Scenes? Can I assign a modifier to the output level of the GEQ? Interested in thoughts otherwise I can just redo the patches.

Thanks

MM

Pultec is the most iconic passive EQ of all time.

I have been playing around with this. Getting a serious "amp in the room" tone by adding a shelving filter at the end of the chain, with Q at .707 per release notes. Have also swapped out the 8 band EQs in some of my presets to 5 band passives, which adds some flexibility but doesn't seem to have the same impact as the filter at the end. I will test a couple variants at real volume at tonight's gig and report back. Meanwhile, would be interested in any others' views on this.

Scenes? Can I assign a modifier to the output level of the GEQ? Interested in thoughts otherwise I can just redo the patches.

Thanks

MM

If you are willing to use scenes, just set up a scene with 3db at the output. Best bonus of doing it there is it adds 0 CPU use.

Is this only good for recording or does it enhance live sound as well?
Cmon! This is not a stupid question. I hear recordings that are awesone, but I am not able to get those sounds live. I know the potential is there.

Cmon! This is not a stupid question. I hear recordings that are awesone, but I am not able to get those sounds live. I know the potential is there.

Like anything else in the Axe Fx, "use your ears" :)

Are you trying to make a "live" sound be the same as a "studio" sound?

With FRFR you can probably get damn close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this only good for recording or does it enhance live sound as well?

IMO this is equally good for recording and live use.
Although it is entirely possible to do great recordings with just the Axe Fx, many of us that do recordings do use other thing with our Axe to get our recorded tone, whether it is other outboard hardware, software plugins or a combination of all those, which is often my approach.
For live work or recording out of the studio I only use the Axe Fx and thus the new passive EQ might even be a bigger thing live for me and when recording "on the go" than in the studio. That said I'll use it a lot, if not always in the studio too.
There are not many blocks/effects I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice to keep the passive EQ - luckily there is no need to sacrifice anything with the Axe Fx.

Nobody is using the 5-band EQ in the amp block? Seems like a good place to implement it and keeps the CPU percentage down by not using an extra block.
Tried with the q at the end of the chain and in the amp.
I liked both but will use the Amp Eq to save CPU

And I've replaced the filter I used to boost around 2kHz with the 5-band passive EQ with a 2dB boost at 2kHz.
Sounds a lot better

Like anything else in the Axe Fx, "use your ears" :)

Are you trying to make a "live" sound be the same as a "studio" sound?

With FRFR you can probably get damn close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have just heard some very good recordings and would like to be able to get that good of a live sound. I can get a decent live sound, but still does not sound near as good as the recordings I have heard. Unfortunately, we never seem to have time prior to the show to fine tune our sound as there are people in the club and the owners do not want us tweaking our sound. They want us to set up and just start playing songs immediately. We have to adjust the mix as we are playing. Not even a sound check.

I've also added the Passive 5-band GEQ block in front of the amp block as a boost. Subtle tonal control and boost at the same time. So flexible.

Back
Top Bottom