New 18.00 Public Beta

ups ... just noodling through some Amps ... falling over the Splawn Quick Rods ... last time i visited them i remember 3 gears. Now we`ve 6 (OD1 / OD2). Did i miss something or are they new? On the manufactor site it says: 3 modes with rythm/lead (gain station) per gear mode... any mods to get something similiar like the clean channel from the Quick Rod? Just less Input Trim/Gain, but more Master or something?

I have my 6505+ sitting at home right now. Running it into a Koch load box and out to the Axe which I then use to load up an IR of my original 5150 cab. This morning I have been A/B between my actual amp and the new G3 Model of it (PVH 6160II), and man, I can't hear any difference. This is amazing. In fw 17 the amp model was nice but it just never seemed to get close. Gonna come back to this tonight and see if it still sounds the same or if it's all just an auditory hallucination.

Any amp that is G3'd should be extremely close.

One caveat is that the Presence and Depth controls may not match the taper of the actual amp. On most amps the Presence control does nothing until you turn it almost all the way up. This seems a bit silly so we make the Presence behave more logically. Same goes for the Depth control. Drive, Bass, Mid and Treble will match the actual amp within the tolerance of the pots. Another caveat when comparing amps: many times the knobs aren't "centered". IOW if you put the Treble knob at noon it isn't actually at 50%. You can see this by turning the knob all the way down and all the way up. It may not be symmetrical. This happens when the pots don't have a flat spot and/or the pot is rotated within the mounting hole. Or in the case of an SLO100 it is intentional. On an SLO100 all the way down is around 8:00 and all the way up is 6:00 so 50% is around 1:00 not noon.

ups ... just noodling through some Amps ... falling over the Splawn Quick Rods ... last time i visited them i remember 3 gears. Now we`ve 6 (OD1 / OD2). Did i miss something or are they new? On the manufactor site it says: 3 modes with rythm/lead (gain station) per gear mode... any mods to get something similiar like the clean channel from the Quick Rod? Just less Input Trim/Gain, but more Master or something?
See wiki amp list.
OD2 adds an extra gain stage.

Spawn's Tube Type = EL34/6CA7.
Shouldn't that be KT88?

Negative feedback: 1.88 - was 1.00
LTriode1 Plate Frequency: 2199 Hz - was 4000hZ
LTriode2 Plate Frequency: 40000Hz - was 7800hZ
+ some other parameters have changed as well

They make the Quickrod in both versions. Maybe the one Cliff has for G3'ing is the EL34 version?

Cliff if that IIC+ have not done in G3 yet ,would be nice if you add there PULL DEEP switch. IMO its most important switch in IIC+ ,and one of most important features in that amazing amp. I was find in the web some trick in Boogie forum to emulate that whit EQ ,but i was try that trick it was nice but nothing to do in original IIC+ PULL DEEP feature.

Our reference amp has EL34s. Many default parameters will change when a model is ported to G3. Don't expect things to be the same.
They make the Quickrod in both versions. Maybe the one Cliff has for G3'ing is the EL34 version?
Oh, OK.
I thought the Quickrods only came with KT88's as stated on the Wiki.

Any amp that is G3'd should be extremely close.

One caveat is that the Presence and Depth controls may not match the taper of the actual amp. On most amps the Presence control does nothing until you turn it almost all the way up. This seems a bit silly so we make the Presence behave more logically. Same goes for the Depth control. Drive, Bass, Mid and Treble will match the actual amp within the tolerance of the pots. Another caveat when comparing amps: many times the knobs aren't "centered". IOW if you put the Treble knob at noon it isn't actually at 50%. You can see this by turning the knob all the way down and all the way up. It may not be symmetrical. This happens when the pots don't have a flat spot and/or the pot is rotated within the mounting hole. Or in the case of an SLO100 it is intentional. On an SLO100 all the way down is around 8:00 and all the way up is 6:00 so 50% is around 1:00 not noon.

I did notice the presence knob difference, everything else, on my amp anyway, seems super close. Thanks very much for you and your teams constant work.

Am I the only one still on 17.04? I thought I'd wait for the completed version of 18.00, but all of these stories of amazing tone are making it difficult. Very tempted just to bite the bullet and download.

No. I always wait until Axe Edit catches up before I load new firmware.

Me too, just used it an hour ago to do some quick adds, changes and presets rearranges. no issues that I've found.

Loaded 18b7 last night (from 17.04). I only had a few minutes to play with it, but I was immediately impressed. Dialing up the Friedman BE preset (#23)--which I've only slightly tweaked to open up the MV a little--yielded a vast difference. Not only does the amp seem ballsier, but the pick attack response is off the charts. I think I spent about 15 minutes just palm muting an open A chord in order to bathe in the dynamics. :lol:

Before, I felt like that Friedman patch was anemic and almost useless without a drive going into it, but the amp sim itself has so much more warmth and feel to it now that it works for rhythm even without a drive. Through my studio monitors, it really sounds like I'm in the control room listening to someone play a genuine amp out in the studio room.

The new 5153 might take some getting used to for me. Oh, it's way better now, don't get me wrong. However, I've created a "stupid gain" patch with it that slams the front end with a PEQ block and has gobs of chorus and delay on the back end. It's just for over-the-top fun. However, the 5153 now is clearer and less artificially compressed, so any slop in my playing actually shows through now. Bummer! :)

Splawn OD1 #2 is my new heavy amp. There is something spanky about OD2 #1 though and I want to use that too!!!

Back
Top Bottom