Introduction thread

Hello all,
My name is Steve and I am a singer / guitar / keys player here in the Pacific Northwest.
I'm on the wait list for an FM9, which I am planning to use my pedal steel / lap steel guitars.
Appreciate all of the insights regarding Fractal Audio units.
Welcome, @Hotraman. I'm glad you're finding the forum useful. We do, too. :)

So I suppose I should do one of these....

I'm Drew, and I play in the band Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster. We're from London and have been going since 2008. We play post-rock/post-metal ambient cinematic stuff; for fans of Tool, ISIS, Russian Circles, Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, Pelican, et. al. If you know those artists then you know the sort of thing we do.

I'm also a product owner for a piece of drum software called BFD, which was invented by FXpansion Audio, acquired by ROLI evil-mega-corp in 2015, and then saved by inMusic Brands in 2020. My day-to-day is as a product owner (feature design, speccing out the roadmap, etc), audio engineering, supporting the users, building in-house tools, and generally working my butt off to reinvigorate our brand.

In my free time as well as being in a band, I write my own solo stuff, I am a 3D artist-in-the-making, and I have a huge interest in computer games, coding, music information retrieval, and I'm dipping my toes into AI. I am a nerd with a caustic sense of humour which sometimes gets me in trouble, but ultimately I'm not a bad sort.

I compartmentalise chunks of my life to keep myself sane. I love playing gigs and being a guitarist, but I also play drums, keyboards, bass, and I sing.

I owned an Axe FX II years ago and didn't get on with it. So I sold it. Then I bought another one. Same story. Then I bought an AxeIII completely on a whim one weekend last autumn, and I am really loving it. I want an FM9 as well.

Hey folks, new FM3 owner here and some folks on The Gear Page mentioned this forum is great, so I've registered over here. I go by Platypus most other places but someone had already registered that name here.

Absolutely loving my FM3 so far, still can't get over how many dream tones I just have as personal presets now that I can cycle through on a whim. I've been trying to create some iconic tones and I'll likely start posting some of them once my account gains that permission.

Before COVID I played guitar and keys with a band called Flying Potion, we're a psychedelic rock group out of Chicago. You can find our stuff on most streaming services or on Bandcamp if you're interested. I also put out a solo side-project EP during quarantine under this same name, "utkanos" on Bandcamp.

I play guitar, drums, keys/synth, and bass as hobbies, but my day job is computer security/vulnerability research. I specialize in hacking and securing mobile and embedded devices. I'm an avid photographer as well!

I am really looking forward to recording another solo project with this FM3, being able to play and record silently at night is an absolute game changer for me so I have a feeling I will be running all kinds of instruments through this unit for this project.

Nice to meet you all, I've been reading through a bunch of threads here already learning as I go.

Hi all - Casanoverdrive is a portmanteau for my last name Casanovas and Overdrive! I was a long term FAS user, started with the AxeFx Standard in 2008. In 2013, I upgraded to an AF2 MK2. I became addicted with the tones and dynamic behavior of Dumble amplifiers by the end of 90s, not knowing what this amp was when I tested one of them in a shop in south germany. In 2014 I started my own company, repairing tube amps, or modify them on customer requests. I was a former pro audio service tech but lost my job as a service manager for a distributor so I had to do my own stuff. The earlier days (and my last days in this board) were really bumpy, but now I gained the respect among international players and manufacturers..... being AWSC for Friedman, Roy Blankenship and Fender Musical Instruments also helps a lot. Even got some real Dumbles in for service/maintenance........In 2018 I started with my own brand "Casanoverdrive" but due of the pandemic and some tragic events in the tube amp world, I unable to hold the quality because of the unavailability of some special parts. So I keep focusing myself on repairs again....and set up a new product, which is still in the research status - a high voltage tube based overdrive that does my tone and dynamic behavior on most amplifiers.
I always lusted for a comeback to Fractal products, even when I told my collegues I wont. So now, I pulled the trigger and went for a FM3, but eventually will upgrade to a AF3.......

I'm not calling myself a pro guitarist. Mostly bedroom player today but I have a fusion/jazz trio (which is actually just a duo due of the pandemic) - we can't compete with the pros out there, so I just like it to have good fun playing music we love......also doing commerical projects composing music for advertisement short movies....

I want to use the FAS unit mainly for sound-research reference and in my home studio. For live, I still work with my beloved amps and some pedals, for now... ;)

Cheers,
Casanoverdrive (formerly known as PacoCasanovas)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all - Casanoverdrive is a portmanteau for my last name Casanovas and Overdrive! I was a long term FAS user, started with the AxeFx Standard in 2008. In 2013, I upgraded to an AF2 MK2. I became addicted with the tones and dynamic behavior of Dumble amplifiers by the end of 90s, not knowing what this amp was when I tested one of them in a shop in south germany. In 2014 I started my own company, repairing tube amps, or modify them on customer requests. I was a former pro audio service tech but lost my job as a service manager for a distributor so I had to do my own stuff. The earlier days (and my last days in this board) were really bumpy, but now I gained the respect among international players and manufacturers..... being AWSC for Friedman, Roy Blankenship and Fender Musical Instruments also helps a lot. Even got some real Dumbles in for service/maintenance........In 2018 I started with my own brand "Casanoverdrive" but due of the pandemic and some tragic events in the tube amp world, I unable to hold the quality because of the unavailability of some special parts. So I keep focusing myself on repairs again....and set up a new product, which is still in the research status - a high voltage tube based overdrive that does my tone and dynamic behavior on most amplifiers.
I always lusted for a comeback to Fractal products, even when I told my collegues I wont. So now, I pulled the trigger and went for a FM3, but eventually will upgrade to a AF3 since I run into latency issues with presets/patches with higher CPU/DSP demands.....

I'm not calling myself a pro guitarist. Mostly bedroom player today but I have a fusion/jazz trio (which is actually just a duo due of the pandemic) - we can't compete with the pros out there, so I just like it to have good fun playing music we love......also doing commerical projects composing music for advertisement short movies....

I want to use the FAS unit mainly for sound-research reference and in my home studio. For live, I still work with my beloved amps and some pedals, for now... ;)

Cheers,

Hey, good to see ya here! Have always enjoyed your posts on the tube amp group over on FB....

Hey, good to see ya here! Have always enjoyed your posts on the tube amp group over on FB....

Much thanks! :kissingheart:I'm also will post a bit more in the future @ the "Tube Amp Builders FB Group" or do we know us from "the tube amp designer" (I'll contribute more there soon too). I'm quite busy with repairs and my pedal project (that need some re-engineering before I can go public again)

I always lusted for a comeback to Fractal products, even when I told my collegues I wont. So now, I pulled the trigger and went for a FM3, but eventually will upgrade to a AF3 since I run into latency issues with presets/patches with higher CPU/DSP demands.....

Cheers,
Welcome back Paco!

I look forward to your ruminations on the current state of modeling. Especially the Dumble-ish kind :)

Welcome back Paco!

I look forward to your ruminations on the current state of modeling. Especially the Dumble-ish kind :)
I guess I don't need to go more into it, a lot of others did in the past. I heard some excellent clipsof it. In 2018, I had the chance to test the AF3 at the german axefest and used a LP into the AF3 running trough a matrix power amp into a 4x12" Marshall cab, playing the ODS100 (Ford) slightly tweaked and bam...... there was the tone, the touch, the overtones, the huge dynamic range these amps have - roll them back with your guitar volume control, they act exactly like a full blasting vintage Fender type amp - everything on 10, but sweeter and more controlable also in volume....

In 2018, I also repaired two 4th gen Dumble ODS amps for a client (that will remain unknown for the public), because it was much easier and a lot cheaper to get them in at my place instead of LA at Andy Brauer's LA studio rentals (as he did in the past)....both amps are build around 1981/82 and had different circuits. One had the musicman transformer and 700VDC plate voltage (350V screen) as some of the Musicman RD-Amps in the 70s did...... this one has the most georgeous clean tone I ever heard and played......fenderish but so much on the money......just as if there was also a very high end studio compressor adding a bit of smack to it.....the other had a okay clean channel but some tasty overdrive - both were non-HRM models, high plate, 4th gen (4th gen was originally also the Ford amp before it was modded by Alexander (who recently died at age 76) to skyliner specs. Earlier 4th gen amps had a different preamp voicing, also not had a "mid boost" option but a deep switch option.

What I heard from the newer modeling algorithms yet regarding D-amps, is very pleasing even with factory settings. I would say the best in the business regarding modeling. Got the brainworx Fuchs ODS and Fuchs Train II (which is Andy's take on the Wreck amps) plugins in my DAW, they sound great but the AxeFx actually digged depper..... there are not much D-Style simulations outthere that are actually deeply accurate.
This amp Is still a mystery to many players....I understand why but also some of the biggest misquoted design - the dynamic behavior is really the key, the beauty......IMO ;)

I always lusted for a comeback to Fractal products, even when I told my collegues I wont. So now, I pulled the trigger and went for a FM3, but eventually will upgrade to a AF3.......

Cheers,

FYI: I upgraded to an AF3 Mk2 Turbo 😁

Hello all,

This is Erik, from Germany.

First, my English speaking and thinking is long time ago, seldom used and was scool level - but i try best ..but, probably you have to keep your "Eyes Wide Shut", faced to my "creativity" in using your language...

Played 18 old for some years, than 3 Decades time used for other things livin, but since about 2-3 years i found back to guitar, old Squier
Japan Strats like in the past, amp at Home/Rehearsal level. Needed some time to be more eager to get louder and so on.

Second, I´m actually no Fractal User, but i´m sure, soon i will be one. So i reached the Forum to learn about.
(Tending to the Fx-III Turbo..)

So long
Erik

Hello all,

First, my English speaking and thinking is long time ago, seldom used and was scool level - but i try best ..but, probably you have to keep your "Eyes Wide Shut", faced to my "creativity" in using your language...

Played 18 old for some years, than 3 Decades time used for other things livin, but since about 2-3 years i found back to guitar, old Squier
Japan Strats like in the past, amp at Home/Rehearsal level. Needed some time to be more eager to get louder and so on.

Second, I´m actually no Fractal User, but i´m sure, soon i will be one. So i reached the Forum to learn about.

So long
Erik
Hey Erik. Welcome! I think I understood everything you said quite well. Good luck on getting a Fractal unit. Whichever model you end up with, I think it's safe to say you will enjoy it very much!

Hello all,

So long
Erik

Welcome! Your English is not so bad. Besser dann meine Deutsch! ;) When you get your AxeFX, you are in for a treat. Er ist wunderschon!

Hello again and thanks for your friendly welcome...

Btw...Some times decisions may come sooner than thought before, so today i ordered the Axe-FXIII Mk2 Turbo and one Ev-1 Pedal.
Harhar.. :D

The FC-12 MKII ist at moment not available in Germany/Europe. Think i will get one to a later point in time, at moment its no lack..

Btw...Some times decisions may come sooner than thought before, so today i ordered the Axe-FXIII Mk2 Turbo and one Ev-1 Pedal.

The FC-12 MKII ist at moment not available in Germany/Europe. Think i will get one to a later point in time, at moment its no lack..
Sehr gut!

Ganz gut! Dein Herz wird voll sein.

Back
Top Bottom