Introduction thread

Yes. Yes you should! LOL J/K
And at 57, and 41 years playing, SO SHOULD I! But after getting the 2 most inspiring pieces of music gear I've ever had (Majesty and then the Axe3), I can honestly say after about 2 years of really hitting it hard, my playing is probably twice as good as it's ever been. (Which still ain't good enuff!!)

That's great!! :)

I had way better chops at 21 and 22 when I had only been playing for 5 or 6 years than I do now.
I do feel like I am a far better and more well-rounded musician now, though. So there is that. :)

Yes. Yes you should! LOL J/K
And at 57, and 41 years playing, SO SHOULD I! But after getting the 2 most inspiring pieces of music gear I've ever had (Majesty and then the Axe3), I can honestly say after about 2 years of really hitting it hard, my playing is probably twice as good as it's ever been. (Which still ain't good enuff!!)
'Good enough' is not an attainable goal.
Shoot for 'the best I can be today' and try to push that a bit further each time....

^ Absolutely! I get a kick out of nailing something that I've been working on, even if it's not quite up to speed. Just remembering all the changes can be so satisfying. Heck, finally knocking down that elusive burr that was causing my high e string to break before its time was like, YES!! :p

I suppose this thread is fitting for my first post. I'm Alex, and I've played fractal gear several times before. Started with the Axe FX II, then went to an AX8. Went back to a standard pedalboard/amp combo for a while and now I'm eyeing an FM9. The FM9 was the form/fit/function I always wanted out of the fractal products. I guess I had an epiphany too - that between a pedalboard/cables/amp/tube there's 1000 different factors that influence the end tone. I figure I might as well get the consistency from a fractal product, comparatively.

Anyhow, been playing for 18 years, 8 of which i have been heavily playing with my church.

Super stoked to jump back in!

I suppose this thread is fitting for my first post. I'm Alex, and I've played fractal gear several times before. Started with the Axe FX II, then went to an AX8. Went back to a standard pedalboard/amp combo for a while and now I'm eyeing an FM9. The FM9 was the form/fit/function I always wanted out of the fractal products. I guess I had an epiphany too - that between a pedalboard/cables/amp/tube there's 1000 different factors that influence the end tone. I figure I might as well get the consistency from a fractal product, comparatively.

Anyhow, been playing for 18 years, 8 of which i have been heavily playing with my church.

Welcome (back?), @6SigmaDesigner!

I am a huge music lover and I have learned to play guitar! What about you? So good to meet you here...
I've posted a bunch about myself in other threads before I found this one, so didn't feel the need. I was jokingly wanting to know a little about you, that's all.

Greetings.

I didn't see the introduction thread at first. So...here I am.

Played off and on for 15 years or so, more off than on. Always wanted to be satisfied while playing at home volumes...never quite got where I wanted with attenuators, though I've always preferred them over drive pedals. I sold my amps after getting to grips with a DSM Simplifier a little over a year ago and recently bought an FM3 to try out the digital side. My needs are relatively simple, and the FM3 is serving them very, very well so far. We'll see how long that lasts (had it about 36 hours so far), but so far I'm very impressed.

You can basically think of me as a Blues Lawyer, except that I actually write code for a living, only own one PRS, and master for friends as a side project.

Greetings.

I didn't see the introduction thread at first. So...here I am.

Played off and on for 15 years or so, more off than on. Always wanted to be satisfied while playing at home volumes...never quite got where I wanted with attenuators, though I've always preferred them over drive pedals. I sold my amps after getting to grips with a DSM Simplifier a little over a year ago and recently bought an FM3 to try out the digital side. My needs are relatively simple, and the FM3 is serving them very, very well so far. We'll see how long that lasts (had it about 36 hours so far), but so far I'm very impressed.

You can basically think of me as a Blues Lawyer, except that I actually write code for a living, only own one PRS, and master for friends as a side project.
Welcome to the Fractal world of amp modeling and fantastic effects, and this great community! This is my first foray into Fractal gear as well, and as just a bedroom player trying to improve my guitar abilities, I'd say you have one of the most inspiring pieces of gear available today. It definitely serves much more than my needs, for hours every day. This company and the gear they build is nothing short of amazing. I think you'll really like it! Good to have you!

Welcome to the Fractal world of amp modeling and fantastic effects, and this great community! This is my first foray into Fractal gear as well, and as just a bedroom player trying to improve my guitar abilities, I'd say you have one of the most inspiring pieces of gear available today. It definitely serves much more than my needs, for hours every day. This company and the gear they build is nothing short of amazing. I think you'll really like it! Good to have you!
Thank you.

It's been fun.

I essentially started out by duplicating my pedals/simplifier rig and applied a couple upgrades (e.g., CE-2w became a rotary sim), played with amps (the high power twin is amazing), impedance curves, and cabs...and got the switching and parallel routing working right for my head...and...yeah. I'm kind of floored at what I can get out of it. I won't be taking much advantage of it for a while (if ever), but I've got everything I really wanted in 1 scene and mostly just the 3 buttons. I feel like I might be about 1 button and an expression pedal short. But...that's easily solvable.

I'm very much a simple-rig kinda guy.

Hi AJ from Arizona! New to Fractal and a long time L6 user and anxiously waiting for my FM3 to arrive. I never had much luck with Helix as a complete solution so it was normally a pedalboard in 4CM or an HX Effects. Hoping I can make the FM3 work as a complete solution with a Power cab. I love talking about guitars and gear almost as much as I like playing with guitars and gear. Really happy to be here.

Oh, and I'm old :D

Hi AJ from Arizona! New to Fractal and a long time L6 user and anxiously waiting for my FM3 to arrive. I never had much luck with Helix as a complete solution so it was normally a pedalboard in 4CM or an HX Effects. Hoping I can make the FM3 work as a complete solution with a Power cab. I love talking about guitars and gear almost as much as I like playing with guitars and gear. Really happy to be here.

Welcome from Sun Tan Valley, AZ....
giphy.gif

Welcome, AJ! If you like talking about guitars and gear, you've come to the right place. Lots of helpful folks, and an exceptionally high reality-to-BS ratio.

Hi there! Roger from the Sunshine Coast, here. I don't yet own a Fractal product yet, but I'm on the waitlist for an FM9, and just got word that the Australian distributor will be getting their first batch around the end of January, so fingers crossed that my name is high enough to get one of the first ones.

I'm originally from the US, and was a drummer for the first 40 years of my musical life, but when I moved to Australia it would have been a pain to bring my drums, and we (my wife and I) lived in an apartment for several years, so concerns about space and volume considerations had me selling my drums before leaving the US (I'm really regretting a couple of those sales). Shortly after arriving, I decided to buy a guitar, to scratch the musical itch, and now I'm about 5 years into that journey - I'm not very good, but I'm determined, and if it takes me til I'm 60 to be "good", then I'll happily do the work rather than get to be 60 and still wish I was good at guitar. :) I'm just a bedroom player right now, but hoping to do some gigging at some point - I sing well, and I'd love to put together and front a band doing SRV to Stevie Wonder type stuff.

A couple years ago I bought a Helix rack, and have enjoyed it, but I want to try the Fractal stuff out, to see if it's really that much better, so as I said earlier, when my name comes up on the list, I'll be purchasing an FM9. I'd love it if someone could point me to some Helix to Fractal videos, if such things exist!

Hi there! Roger from the Sunshine Coast, here. I don't yet own a Fractal product yet, but I'm on the waitlist for an FM9, and just got word that the Australian distributor will be getting their first batch around the end of January, so fingers crossed that my name is high enough to get one of the first ones.

I'm originally from the US, and was a drummer for the first 40 years of my musical life, but when I moved to Australia it would have been a pain to bring my drums, and we (my wife and I) lived in an apartment for several years, so concerns about space and volume considerations had me selling my drums before leaving the US (I'm really regretting a couple of those sales). Shortly after arriving, I decided to buy a guitar, to scratch the musical itch, and now I'm about 5 years into that journey - I'm not very good, but I'm determined, and if it takes me til I'm 60 to be "good", then I'll happily do the work rather than get to be 60 and still wish I was good at guitar. :) I'm just a bedroom player right now, but hoping to do some gigging at some point - I sing well, and I'd love to put together and front a band doing SRV to Stevie Wonder type stuff.

A couple years ago I bought a Helix rack, and have enjoyed it, but I want to try the Fractal stuff out, to see if it's really that much better, so as I said earlier, when my name comes up on the list, I'll be purchasing an FM9. I'd love it if someone could point me to some Helix to Fractal videos, if such things exist!
Hey Roger! Check out your fellow brother from down under, Leon Todd for several great videos that cover all sorts of aspects on how to get the most from Fractal gear. He's a member here as well, (@2112) and has an FM9 that he's done at least one, maybe more, video about.

Hey Roger! Check out your fellow brother from down under, Leon Todd for several great videos that cover all sorts of aspects on how to get the most from Fractal gear. He's a member here as well, (@2112) and has an FM9 that he's done at least one, maybe more, video about.
Yup, I'm already aware of his videos, and will be checking them out more as I get closer to purchasing one. I was hoping maybe someone could point me towards a video(s) where someone walks through migrating from the Helix family to the Fractal family. If there aren't any, maybe I'll create something as I get more comfortable with the FM9.

[edit] Actually, scratch all this - I found Chris Cooper's videos, I think they'll give me what I need.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom