Introduction thread

Another newbie saying Hi.

Have to say the opinions and input on the forum are great, and helped me make the decision to buy an AX8 a couple of days ago.

Previously a Kemper user I was so fed up with the unit being a total pain to edit and dial-in live (direct FoH and with Cabs) but within 5 minutes of powering up the AX, loading the JVM patch and tweaking the high and low cuts I was rocking. This unit just sounds so organic it’s amazing!

Looking forward to contributing as I learn
Welcome to the club, @Indigo Hammer ! Enjoy the ride.

HI All newbie here, Im Vinnie, aka Vking. I just got a AX8 and I must say, I am blown away from the quality sounds of this unit. How did I get here? Long time Amp guy with Rack effects ,pedals etc.. Well I started way back with Digitech. I was always a fan from back in the Day of the 2101 great unit for the day. Then I went to GSP1101. Then tried the Pod, was not impressed,I eventually tossed it. then came Amplifire , I liked it so much, I got rid of it and upgraded to Helix!! Much better. Than I heard of Fractal but always thought I couldn't afford them . I seen the videos on you tube and thought Dang these sound killer. And I also heard a guy playing a Ceriatone amp and thought that sounded good , so I bought One. Worst decision ever . Its a total POS!!! I used too think those other processor was good ,till I finally heard a Fractal in Person at a local Music shop and I was convinced. None of those other Amps or units compare too Fractal.. So I sold all the Digitech, and some misc gear and who la, Im in the Club.. Over the years I have played through countless amps from Peavey,Marshall, Vox,Fender, Mesa, Hughs Ketner,Rivera,Splawn, Bogner ,Ampeg, Pre amps like Triaxis, ADA,Carvin, Engl, Rocktron etc so I am Well versed on gear.

Now this is a bit more complicated to learn but im sure I will.. I will never look back to Cheap Gear or processor.. I figure this a good start for me and Hope to move up to the AXIII sooner than later , Im running into a Solid state Power amp with cabs off and into Two-2X12"s In Stereo and it sounds Amazing!!!!! Ill be poking around and there is A LOT of Content here to read.. Cheers!!!

Reactions: Rex
I've been posting since I ordered the AX8 in 12/17. I've been lurking and actually joined as a member to this forum when I became aware of the AX FXII a while back. It sounded too good to be true. A buddy of mine bought one and raved about it. I've been playing a '73 JMP 50 watt Marshall since about 1990. I got it cheap from a pawn shop and couldn't make it sound anything close to good for about a month. I was coming from a solid state amp with a distortion pedal. Then I accidentally put a tube screamer in front because at the time I didn't have any way to go from clean to distortion and the distortion sounded like shish. The tubescreamer was like night and day. It rounded out the flubby base and made the thing sing. From that point on I had 'the tone'. Still have the amp and the crappy cab I've been using since. The low-fi 30watt speakers in the cheap 4x12 made the thing special. That match still beats any of the 1960 greenback cabs I've tried over the years.

So I've always had a high benchmark. Now that I'm approaching 50 yrs in age, I'm 'de-cluttering'. Time to be practical and find a good home for the beast to someone who will use it regularly. Letting go is hard. There aren't that many of those left ya know?

The AX8 ride this far has been frustrating, addictive and rewarding. I'm still in my 'plexi tone' world but starting to venture out to explore new tones and adapt my playing to the new tones that now inspire different things. But, I had to nail down a go-to tone that would always bring me back to what I've known in the JMP. Surprisingly, it's not the JMP 50 amp model. It's the Brit Super that I've landed on but the tweaks I've found in the technical tips.

Anyhoo, I'm Bman and that's my backstory.

Hello!

I've preemptively joined the forum as I'm looking to try the all-in-one solution. After touring for a couple of years with a traditional pedalboard, I'm hoping an FX8 simplifies things. The sounds I get right now are fine, it's just that I seem to have crappy luck. I'm looking to the FX8 to reduce the stress from my live show and focus more on performing. The idea of getting better sounds is a bonus. There's definitely a lot to learn here and I hope I don't find myself missing the old board once an FX8 (or AX8 as it may be) arrives.

Reactions: Rex
Hello!

I've preemptively joined the forum as I'm looking to try the all-in-one solution. After touring for a couple of years with a traditional pedalboard, I'm hoping an FX8 simplifies things. The sounds I get right now are fine, it's just that I seem to have crappy luck. I'm looking to the FX8 to reduce the stress from my live show and focus more on performing. The idea of getting better sounds is a bonus. There's definitely a lot to learn here and I hope I don't find myself missing the old board once an FX8 (or AX8 as it may be) arrives.
Welcom to the madhouse, @Budda ! You'll like it here.

And yes, the interconnects in the FX8 don't fail like real cables do. :)

Hello!

Too modest. His band is good folks.

https://sparrows613.bandcamp.com/

Hi Gang,

Michael here posting this from BC, Canada. Thanks for having me! I am a newbie to the digital modelling domain and very excited to be joining this community.

All the best!

Hi Gang,

Michael here posting this from BC, Canada. Thanks for having me! I am a newbie to the digital modelling domain and very excited to be joining this community.

All the best!
Welcome, Michael! Pull up a seat. Let me know if you find where they keep the cookies. :)

Last edited:
Coming onboard a bit late to the party. I picked up a used FX-II and I'm in beginning of an enjoyable learning curve. Been playing guitar and keys for over 50 years, professionally for 20+. Audio post production and music scoring for over 10..Just retired from a hell job in forensics and am going to pursue what I've always loved to do. Writing music and audio engineering! I have to admit I am jealous of the people that can afford to get the FX-lll but I feel lucky to have all that I have. I figure the FX-ll will keep me busy for a good while.

Anyway.... Howdy!

Oh I signed up in 2013 but life happened and it wasn't until now that I could get my grubby little hands on some FRACTAL!

Coming onboard a bit late to the party. I picked up a used FX-II and I'm in beginning of an enjoyable learning curve. Been playing guitar and keys for over 50 years, professionally for 20+. Audio post production and music scoring for over 10..Just retired from a hell job in forensics and am going to pursue what I've always loved to do. Writing music and audio engineering! I have to admit I am jealous of the people that can afford to get the FX-lll but I feel lucky to have all that I have. I figure the FX-ll will keep me busy for a good while.

Anyway.... Howdy!

Oh I signed up in 2013 but life happened and it wasn't until now that I could get my grubby little hands on some FRACTAL!
Welcome, @blearyeyes ! Much joy is ahead of you. And probably a little forensic head-scratching, too... but that's life everywhere. ;)

Hi,
New into Fractal but after my friend lend me his AX8 for some days I was convinced and ordered one. It will arrive tomorrow if UPS keep their delivery date.
Well I'm 46 (where's all the years gone?!). I've been touring and had music as my job for some years back in the late 90-ies, but now I'm into data analytics and have my own company here in Sweden. But I still play alot, mainly in my studio writing songs and publish on Spotify aso.
I have had alot of different gear, trust me :flushed:
Right now a wet/dry/wet -rig with an Marshall JCM800 -85 as center. Sounds fantastic, but still hard to tame. Loud as h*ll to put it in another word. When in rehearsals my band members use to hate it as soon as the amp begin to sound great at 25-40% power.
I've tried a ton of emulation-rigs and hated them all, last one a Helix. Let me tell you that is almost impossible to get a Helix to sound as a real amp. It's harsh, digital and with a ugly top end. I really tried to get it to work, bought 3-rd party IR, presets, tweeked for days. But no, there was something missing. The flexibility of the Helix rack are superior, but it just don't feels and sound right. So all the features are meaningless. So I got back to the real tube Marshall after some months of tweeking. In my studio I now mainly use the Softube marshall plugins in my UAD-system and they sound absolutely fine. But after testing my friends AX8 I was blown away. So now I'm giving the emulation-idea one more try, cos I believe this can work. I want to keep my greenback 4x12 and my power amp I've used in my w/d/w -rig but take out the old JCM and run the 4x12 in stereo. For gigs I can have my cab as personal monitor (too old for frfr I think...) and run XLR to front of house.
In studio I might just use amp/cab emulation from the AX8 and post process with reverb aso in Logic/UAD.

Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and you'll hear/read more from me later.

Best regards, peace & out :sunglasses:
/Eric

Back
Top Bottom