AFIII Presets Fremen Presets masterthread (releases, updates etc.)

Third-party preset or preset pack for the Axe-Fx III
I freaking absolutely live on these presets, and Diet Coke.
Yeah that Hook amp is the bomb, though lately that side of me has been hanging out with the Herbies some. Not at all the same, but scratching a similar itch, for me, kinda. I was under the impression those would eat your children, and they will if you want, but they're really cool when they don't too.

And amen on diet coke. I limit myself so I don't just keep escalating. More on work days, less on weekends. Makes the code go round ;)

Last edited:

New guitar day - except the guitar isn't mine ;) I bought it for a friend at a clearance sales at the local music shop. It probably has 10 years old strings on it ! I recorded that without doing anything on the guitar besides tuning it - I didn't even clean the strings or the dust on the head ! Backing track : "A stream of emotions" by Claudio Pietronik - apologies for all the edits but I just randomly grabbed a track that I don't know, so I just played by instinct and sometimes, it didn't go that well ;)
Recorded with an Axe-Fx III, firmware 20.0. Presets : the "Yashil" ones were made for a friend, I recorded his death metal band, Cryptic Carnage, and am currently mixing it. Those presets will be added to the "Rock & Metal vol. 2" presets pack. The other presets are from "Fremen's Picks"

Dude, a sale on the horizon? I joined a fusion band and would like to buy the Hallebeeke pack..

I should definitely make one for the summer ! I've been busy with other stuff, most of which not guitar-related

Also posted in the Axe-Fx III recording sub-forum, I'm posting it here because I'm using a few presets from "Fremen's Picks"

I received these two new toys yesterday, one ordered for me, one for a friend :
  • Squier Contemp Strat HH FR (the pink one, mine)
  • Squier Contemp Strat Special (the blue one, my friend's)

We both ordered them to mod them, I recorded that video to keep track of the sound of the original pickups. I'll put a EMG DG20 kit on mine, you can guess why ;)

You can skip the first few minutes where I'm playing the same chords over and over, to show how each pickup position sounds. The fun stuff is after that, specially the part with the looper

This was recorded with firmware 20.0. I'm a few firmware behind the current one because I'm currently reamping all the bass and guitar tracks of a death metal album with it. Btw, I'll update my presets packs where needed, when the dust will settle on the recent updates !

So, now, that 20.02 is officially out, and I've finished reamping a death metal album that prevented me from installing beta firmware, I installed it. But also went back to 18.03 and 19.08, and made this video, using a DI track :

(Axe-Edit shows 20.00 only, it's the firmware I used to record the DI track)

I'm comparing 4 different firmware of the Axe-Fx III with a few presets, to check if updating them is necessary. The presets are exactly the same in each firmware, except that for 20.02, the Speaker Impedance was updated.

In short, I don't think an update is needed. However, of course, if you find something sounding stranger on other presets I made, let me know ! I didn't test them all.

For future presets, I'll experiment with the new Impedance Curves, or Speaker Compression etc., but not for the existing ones

I just posted something in this thread :
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/plini-tones.185855/

"I was at Vai Academy 5.0, which was about sound design and effects, and went to Plini's masterclass there, with none other than our own Matt. Plini detailed his Axe-Fx III settings and I noted everything ;) I won't enter into the details here, but he uses the Friedman BE V1 Fat for his distorted tones and the CA3+ Clean for the clean ones, both with the Legacy cab #129"
67810618_10156074139442245_3171001567549587456_n.jpg

67815285_10156066291357245_1287383049310306304_n.jpg

So, yes, I made a preset about his settings, with my own takes on some scenes, it's in my "Rock & Metal" pack, which also has presets from Andy Timmons and Steve Vai, after watching their masterclasses at the same academy

I'm not the one to brag usually, but I got some kudos from Matt during this masterclass, for my presets programming, and I almost blushed when Plini looked at me then :kissingclosed: :cool: Matt had asked to not record the masterclass, but I did for that small part (recording the whole Vai Academy was allowed)

And so, here's that video. I never posted that before, I even forgot about it until today. It's an interesting thought about artist presets in general

Please don't share that anywhere ! It's unlisted for a reason and only posted here.

"I was at Vai Academy 5.0, which was about sound design and effects, and went to Plini's masterclass there, with none other than our own Matt. Plini detailed his Axe-Fx III settings and I noted everything ;) I won't enter into the details here, but he uses the Friedman BE V1 Fat for his distorted tones and the CA3+ Clean for the clean ones, both with the Legacy cab #129"
View attachment 106250

View attachment 106251

So, yes, I made a preset about his settings, with my own takes on some scenes, it's in my "Rock & Metal" pack, which also has presets from Andy Timmons and Steve Vai, after watching their masterclasses at the same academy

I'm not the one to brag usually, but I got some kudos from Matt during this masterclass, for my presets programming, and I almost blushed when Plini looked at me then :kissingclosed: :cool: Matt had asked to not record the masterclass, but I did for that small part (recording the whole Vai Academy was allowed)

And so, here's that video. I never posted that before, I even forgot about it until today. It's an interesting thought about artist presets in general

Please don't share that anywhere ! It's unlisted for a reason and only posted here.

Some very interesting and salient comments from Matt, thanks for posting this. Also, as a big fan of Plini, I appreciate your efforts in replicating some of his presets.

View attachment 106250

View attachment 106251

All of the Fremen Friedman presets are juicy. I like them all. That's a great amp line, and I can tinker with them for hours getting killer sounds, and with harmonics out the wazoo... The CA3+ is so much fun and gives seemingly endless tones.

All of the Fremen Friedman presets are juicy. I like them all. That's a great amp line, and I can tinker with them for hours getting killer sounds, and with harmonics out the wazoo... The CA3+ is so much fun and gives seemingly endless tones.
Which tone pack are you referring to?

My guess is "Rock & Metal vol. 1", that's the pack with the most Friedman presets, plus the Plini, Timmons & Vai ones

Pack update : Boutique+Blues is now compatible with firmware 20.04.
I also added 6 brand new presets and the corresponding cabs, and used the Klon in many presets.

In case you didn't watch it :

This was just a first test, the update wasn't done like that :)

Update to my other packs will follow, it's needed because of the Drive blocks.

All the Amp Packs are now updated to 20.04. I completely redialed all the amps in the main scenes (1 to 4), that was an herculean task (33 packs with 16 presets each) ! If I didn't had a DAW presets programming/updating template, I would still be on it for a few more days, using a DI track is much quicker. Of course, I also check many presets with my guitar ;)

Small issue - I couldn't upload the updated pack for the USA Pre (Mesa Triaxis), the server is rejecting it each time. So I asked my webmaster to do it. All the other Amp packs are already updated on my website.

Last edited:
All the Amp Packs are now updated to 20.04. I completely redialed all the amps in the main scenes (1 to 4), that was an herculean task (33 packs with 16 presets each) ! If I didn't had a DAW presets programming/updating template, I would still be on it for a few more days, using a DI track is much quicker. Of course, I also check many presets with my guitar ;)

Small issue - I couldn't upload the updated pack for the USA Pre (Mesa Triaxis), the server is rejecting it each time. So I asked my webmaster to do it. All the other Amp packs are already updated on my website.
Thank you! Do these updates include the two rock and metal
Packs?

Back
Top Bottom