FM3 Firmware Version 7.00 beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance this addition is linked to the muffled sound people are getting?

Shot in the dark but it’s been on my mind for a few days.
That's possible if it somehow isn't set to the expected default of 1.0 (I.e., a lower values) for someone after they update firmware.

Mostly that would result in lower volume/gain which I suppose could be interpreted as "muffled"...

I know people will have mixed feelings about this, but now that we have auto speaker impedance it seems like it would also be an opportunity to have auto speaker breakup, speaker drive, speaker compression, and speaker thump.

People use those subjectively to achieve the tone they're going for, but just as with the impedance settings I would think there are "correct" settings for each of those variables for each one of the new Dyna Cabs.

Separately: excited for the non-beta release! I'm guessing the FM3 Turbo units currently shipping will arrive with Version 7 installed, and maybe we'll get Version 7 available to download around the same time? Pure speculation, and I don't know if anyone's received Turbos yet.

I'm guessing the FM3 Turbo units currently shipping will arrive with Version 7 installed, and maybe we'll get Version 7 available to download around the same time? Pure speculation, and I don't know if anyone's received Turbos yet.
People on the RSVP list have already received their invitations and ordered. Fractal doesn’t take money for an order unless they are ready to ship the unit. They won’t ship units with beta software, only with the current release. So, no units will have v.7 until it leaves beta.

That’s the thing, the method I heard described by Cliff makes the Dyna Cabs extremely repeatable and accurate from one cab/speaker to another. I would like to hear @FractalAudio take on all this especially the benefit of the equipment used. He always has a way of making even the most confident opinion seem somehow not so perfect.

Right, Fractal's method is great for the DynaCab interface. That is a very different thing than a custom mixed 3rd party IR

No... It globally scales the input signal. It's "like" Input Trim but it affects the signal from the input not at the Amp block and it's independent of the preset.

You can use it to "boost" level from a guitar with lower output or "tame" one with higher output.

This sounds like my wish for Guitar Input Profiles--letting you have a single global setting to adjust gain for guitars with different output levels.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/guitar-input-profiles.181953/

Great!

This sounds like my wish for Guitar Input Profiles--letting you have a single global setting to adjust gain for guitars with different output levels.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/guitar-input-profiles.181953/

Great!
Your wish seems a fair bit more complex... This is only the gain part, no saving of profiles or impedance, etc.

Also, this is new only for FM3. It's existed a long time on Axe Fx III (where you wish is posted) and also on FM9.

It's a useful setting!

The "stock IRs" or factory IRs are a large mixture of captures form various sources, Fractal and third party. You can see a detailed list here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list#Axe-Fx_III_and_FM3_and_FM9

There are also lots of third party IR makers doing lots of captures at very high quality as well. Both from an evolution of capture process and from it being good marketting, most new IRs from any maker are "the best they've ever captured with the latest and greatest capture process available to them".

Fractal's new process is likely improved from they're previous process in their eyes, because there is no reason for them to use anything but the best process they know to caputre something like DynaCab.

But they are still IRs. There's nothing that inherently prevents another IR from sounding better.

The workflow is very flexible, as it gives you better control over the exact mic positions to craft the sound you want. Definitely more control compared to plenty of third party libraries which only inlcude a handful of locations and mixes. And vastlly more flexible than the factory IRs which only include a few mics and positions for each speaker. So you might find it easier to find the exact balance you want in Dynacab and find it tends to sound better for that reason. But there's nothing technologically that prevents another IR (from factory or third party) from happening to hit the perfect balance and sound better. "Better" is subjective anyway.

Any change you make will revert if you don't save the preset then reload it. But if someone did test dynacab then go back to legacy and save the changed impedance curve that could explain a difference in sound. Or maybe the speaker modelling added to a recent FXIII firmware pointed out by someone else in this thread could be what people are hearing, if it was included in this firmware and not earlier ones.

An IR captures a mic/preamp/speaker/room setup, no changes to underlying models would require any changes to an IR to bring it in line with 7.0. Most of these IRs are not captured with fractal in mind, but with all guitar recording use cases in mind from standalone modellers (all platforms) to profiles/captures to VSTs to a real amp plugged into a load box recording silently. If anything, they would be designed to work best with the real amp as that is the most accurate (caveat about load box impedance curves), and Fractal is designing to get their models to behave as closely as possible to those real amps (plus greater control over load box impedance, speaker compression, and other things a load box and IR don't always capture).

IR vendors typically don't update their IR pacts after capturing, unless they go back and re-do a pack with a new process. And the factory IRs don't update as that would change people's existing patches using that factory IR. Nothing in 7.0 should need any IR vendors to do anything different.
Yeah, I was confusing presets that get changed not IR’s.

I just wanted to reiterate that there is clearly an issue with the 6160 block lead, but I'm having trouble duplicating my random freezes and other issues. We've seen other users say the same. I'm going to keep trying to duplicate, fingers crossed!

If you swear by your IRs use them. If you like the Dynacabs use them. FAS is accommodating both preferences. There’s really no discussion about the goods and bads. They’re both unbelievable to me.
This discussion has gotten severely mangled. The issue I have and some others have been addressing is the fact that a few people say that the new Beta made all their presets and I even think went as far as to say their IR’s sound like crap. This has not been my experience.

Maybe I’m partially to blame because late at night I mistakenly worded or didn’t get across what I wanted to say. But much of the reasons these confusions happen is because people respond to these threads without reading the whole thing and because they want to get their personal bit of expertise in and take it in a direction that causes digressions to happen. On most threads and especially these Beta threads I make sure to read everything before I comment to understand the context.

Like with the above post I made, I definitely know the difference between a preset and IR and what an IR is, I just got sloppy because at that point I too was getting tired of the way the discussion was going. IMHO, this thread should be about getting to the bottom of any negative reports especially if they are very isolated and if possible discovering if the report is flawed in some way and due to some other reason than the this exact Beta firmware.

Last edited:
I just wanted to reiterate that there is clearly an issue with the 6160 block lead, but I'm having trouble duplicating my random freezes and other issues. We've seen other users say the same. I'm going to keep trying to duplicate, fingers crossed!
Thanks, This is exactly what I mean. This problem has been reported and acknowledged and is good that it’s being addressed.

Why were you on the 6.0 beta and why did you roll back to the 6.0 beta? Did you ever try to upgrade to 6.0 release or 6.01 or 6.02? Do the changes you experience when upgrading to the 7.0 beta 3 also occur if you upgrade to the 6.0 release or subsequent release patches?
Simple - I LOVED the sound of 6.0 beta, and saw no reason to "upgrade" - especially once people (as I recall) started saying things about the speaker drive parameter having changed, or something like that. I'm a working musician, and I had a lot of gigs at the time, and saw very little reason to change a unit I loved the sound of, and having to redo my presets.

Why upgrade to 7.0 then? Because I usually wear glasses, but sweat so much onstage that it's impractical to use them. My eyes have trouble seeing the small letters, so I wanted to see if the new firmware could help with that. ;)

The fact that I, a sixties born non native English speaking buffoon, figured out what RANF means all by himself made me kinda proud. It’s going right up there with RTFM en RATM.
The Dyna-Cabs takes some meddling with mics, angles and distances, just like in the “real world”. So we are getting yet another step closer, only this time I can store the mic/angle/distance settings and that, compared to the “real world” where you have to take things down after a session, is simply gold!
We had Polaroid and session notes back in the day. This is much better. 😉

Any word on when firmware 7 will be live? I'm still on 7.01 beta should I upgrade to 7.03 or wait? I am even wondering if I should just go back to the 6.02 for the time being. I don't want to invest a lot of time into things that are going to change. Just trying to formulate my angle and perspective on the matter and could use more information I suppose.

Any word on when firmware 7 will be live? I'm still on 7.01 beta should I upgrade to 7.03 or wait? I am even wondering if I should just go back to the 6.02 for the time being.
No. Beta is open-ended, until the developers feel the software is stable. There’s no way to forecast when that will be.

7.03 doesn’t exist. We’re on 7.00b3, which, when it is released will become v. 7.0.

I don't want to invest a lot of time into things that are going to change. Just trying to formulate my angle and perspective on the matter and could use more information I suppose.
Beta is supposed to be feature complete, in other words things should not change, only bugs should go away.

I wonder how many are suffering issues are listening fatigue from hyper comparing IR's since this release. I try to limit the amount of time I spend auditioning IR's and A/B testing because eventually my own results are conflicting.
I think a/b testing must be done with recordings not just plug and play.

I didn’t update yet so I may totally wrong but the muffled legacy tone sounds exactly like when you audition irs.
You think you’ve found a good one, you keep auditioning others and when you come back the the first good ir it doesn’t sound anything like you remember

From what I hear the dynacabs sounds less full than some legacy irs but I can really hear a lot more defined high range

I may have found a slight bug (let me know if this needs to be raised separately)

I changed my boost to the Klon and now when going from bypassed to on there is a slight delay in the switching, I only noticed this at a gig on Saturday.

I've attached the preset,

To replicate the 'issue':

Go to Scene 3, and select channel two on the drive block (Klon) then switch between (for instance) Scene 2 to 3. You should notice a bit of delay when switching between the scenes

To sense check:
Got to scene 3 and either set the drive block as bypassed or for instance use channel A which is a BBPre. Switch between scene 2 and 3 and (unless my ears are playing games) you should be able to notice that the Klon delay in switching is not there)

Attachments

• Hoggin Y'all TESTING.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom