FM3 Firmware Version 7.00 beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have exactly the same experience as BAKE (I think I wrote about it here before him) - the experience with muffled sound/softer feeling/less defined sound has nothing to do with Dyna Cabs/Legacy. I use a York Audio (the 1 dollar IR deal he had) IR for EVERYTHING. It sounds amazing, full, clear, etc. Of course I had to try Dyna Cabs, and while they are cool, they are not better than my YA IR. So I went back to the YA IR. Still more muffled sounding than I like. Checked all my settings. None changed. Out of curiosity, I rolled back to beta 6.0 and there was my sound. I know it very very well, having used my main preset (Matchless Chieftain, Klon, YA IR) on about 30 gigs, 100 practice sessions over the last year or so. I use a Dynacord Axm12a monitor (the european equivalent of the Atomic monitors) so my playback gear is pretty good. I am telling you, SOMETHING has changed from Beta 6.0 to Beta 7.03. The sound is just less defined, less in your face.

Why were you on the 6.0 beta and why did you roll back to the 6.0 beta? Did you ever try to upgrade to 6.0 release or 6.01 or 6.02? Do the changes you experience when upgrading to the 7.0 beta 3 also occur if you upgrade to the 6.0 release or subsequent release patches?

Dynacabs. From my understanding, a robot mic positioner moves a variety of mics and controls the capture of IR’s of a specific cab. And then we can select 2 of those we can mix in the cab block, and the 2 we pick are automatically phase aligned. And there is auto impedance if enabled. Is there any difference in the Dynacab IR shot over a traditional IR shot as far as the actual capture?

Dynacabs. From my understanding, a robot mic positioner moves a variety of mics and controls the capture of IR’s of a specific cab. And then we can select 2 of those we can mix in the cab block, and the 2 we pick are automatically phase aligned. And there is auto impedance if enabled. Is there any difference in the Dynacab IR shot over a traditional IR shot as far as the actual capture?
There are no other differences that Fractal has spoken of. If there are other “secret sauce” things going on, they’ve been kept... secret.

Guys, let's not confuse issues. DynaCab are IR captures, so there's nothing that prevents them or another 3rd party IR from being more or less clear, it just depends on the mic and speaker and capture process used. No one is asking to remove DynaCab, and how they compare to your previous IR weill depend a lot on how you have it set and what that IR was.

But what some people seem to be reporting is that the amp sounds with the same IR are different between the latest beta and some previous firmware (currently unclear if it's 6 or 6.02). Could some of the people reporting differences like @GuitaRasmus capture a clip of before and after with the same preset for people to review? Also check if the "auto speaker impedance curve" setting is on. When you switch to DynaCab it might have changed your speaker impedance curve which would still be changed after going back to your YA Recto 212 IR.

Guys, let's not confuse issues. DynaCab are IR captures, so there's nothing that prevents them or another 3rd party IR from being more or less clear, it just depends on the mic and speaker and capture process used. No one is asking to remove DynaCab, and how they compare to your previous IR weill depend a lot on how you have it set and what that IR was.

But what some people seem to be reporting is that the amp sounds with the same IR are different between the latest beta and some previous firmware (currently unclear if it's 6 or 6.02). Could some of the people reporting differences like @GuitaRasmus capture a clip of before and after with the same preset for people to review? Also check if the "auto speaker impedance curve" setting is on. When you switch to DynaCab it might have changed your speaker impedance curve which would still be changed after going back to your YA Recto 212 IR.

Pretty sure the curve goes back to where it was. I saw it happen, but that could be because I didn’t save the preset in Dynacab mode.

Im having an issue with my layout - OMG9
when I boot up, the FM3 shows Presets / Scenes / Effects as it should
the FC 6 shows my first 3 presets on the bottom row, ands then the 3rd preset is populated across the top 3 buttons .
Can anybody steer me in the right direction on getting this back to showing the 6 presets in the bank ?

The thing IMHO that makes the Dyna Cabs useful is using them to get a great sound within a mix. I’m no expert micing engineer, but I have always used two mics on a cab (SM57 & Condenser) and am somewhat able to dial the dyna cabs in easily. And I’m convinced the overall quality is better. One caveat…I own no 3rd party IR’s. I do have the Leon Todd and the few that came with Gift of Tone which are great. There may be some tweaking that needs done by the 3rd party IR vendors to bring them in line with 7.0.

Those going from 6.0 to 7.0 b3. I thought I remember reading updates being done by some IR vendors in between 6.0 and 6.02. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Im having an issue with my layout - OMG9
when I boot up, the FM3 shows Presets / Scenes / Effects as it should
the FC 6 shows my first 3 presets on the bottom row, ands then the 3rd preset is populated across the top 3 buttons .
Can anybody steer me in the right direction on getting this back to showing the 6 presets in the bank ?
Sounds like you have Bank Size set to 3.

Aren’t the dynacabs captured through a neve, believe fractal used a different board for the stock IRS.

That's nice. However, all you get from a preamp in an IR situation is any EQ added. Any saturation or compression added isn't replicated in an IR. Also, many of the stock IRs are from 3rd parties and many of them mixes. There isn't 1 uniform method across everything.

Reactions: Rex
There isn't 1 uniform method across everything.
That’s the thing, the method I heard described by Cliff makes the Dyna Cabs extremely repeatable and accurate from one cab/speaker to another. I would like to hear @FractalAudio take on all this especially the benefit of the equipment used. He always has a way of making even the most confident opinion seem somehow not so perfect.

Aren’t the dynacabs captured through a neve, believe fractal used a different board for the stock IRS.

The "stock IRs" or factory IRs are a large mixture of captures form various sources, Fractal and third party. You can see a detailed list here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list#Axe-Fx_III_and_FM3_and_FM9

There are also lots of third party IR makers doing lots of captures at very high quality as well. Both from an evolution of capture process and from it being good marketting, most new IRs from any maker are "the best they've ever captured with the latest and greatest capture process available to them".

Fractal's new process is likely improved from they're previous process in their eyes, because there is no reason for them to use anything but the best process they know to caputre something like DynaCab.

But they are still IRs. There's nothing that inherently prevents another IR from sounding better.

The workflow is very flexible, as it gives you better control over the exact mic positions to craft the sound you want. Definitely more control compared to plenty of third party libraries which only inlcude a handful of locations and mixes. And vastlly more flexible than the factory IRs which only include a few mics and positions for each speaker. So you might find it easier to find the exact balance you want in Dynacab and find it tends to sound better for that reason. But there's nothing technologically that prevents another IR (from factory or third party) from happening to hit the perfect balance and sound better. "Better" is subjective anyway.

Pretty sure the curve goes back to where it was. I saw it happen, but that could be because I didn’t save the preset in Dynacab mode.

Any change you make will revert if you don't save the preset then reload it. But if someone did test dynacab then go back to legacy and save the changed impedance curve that could explain a difference in sound. Or maybe the speaker modelling added to a recent FXIII firmware pointed out by someone else in this thread could be what people are hearing, if it was included in this firmware and not earlier ones.

The thing IMHO that makes the Dyna Cabs useful is using them to get a great sound within a mix. I’m no expert micing engineer, but I have always used two mics on a cab (SM57 & Condenser) and am somewhat able to dial the dyna cabs in easily. And I’m convinced the overall quality is better. One caveat…I own no 3rd party IR’s. I do have the Leon Todd and the few that came with Gift of Tone which are great. There may be some tweaking that needs done by the 3rd party IR vendors to bring them in line with 7.0.

Those going from 6.0 to 7.0 b3. I thought I remember reading updates being done by some IR vendors in between 6.0 and 6.02. Correct me if I’m wrong.

An IR captures a mic/preamp/speaker/room setup, no changes to underlying models would require any changes to an IR to bring it in line with 7.0. Most of these IRs are not captured with fractal in mind, but with all guitar recording use cases in mind from standalone modellers (all platforms) to profiles/captures to VSTs to a real amp plugged into a load box recording silently. If anything, they would be designed to work best with the real amp as that is the most accurate (caveat about load box impedance curves), and Fractal is designing to get their models to behave as closely as possible to those real amps (plus greater control over load box impedance, speaker compression, and other things a load box and IR don't always capture).

IR vendors typically don't update their IR pacts after capturing, unless they go back and re-do a pack with a new process. And the factory IRs don't update as that would change people's existing patches using that factory IR. Nothing in 7.0 should need any IR vendors to do anything different.

"Global Settings - Config - Input Gain" is this new? I wished so long for this to use different guitars without dialing in the gain in each Preset.
Also love the Dyna Cabs and the Revv - thank you very much!
Any chance this addition is linked to the muffled sound people are getting?

Shot in the dark but it’s been on my mind for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom