Eleven Rack expansion $100.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note - There have been at least 20 firmware updates for the Axe-FX. Imagine paying for each one of those?? Avid's Eleven Rack upgrade probably includes some bug fixes along with some of their models, but come on, those new models should have been included with unit. Two new Plexi variations??? A Bass amp? yeah, I'll probably pony up for it eventually, but it still pisses me off having to pay for it since I'm also paying for software fixes.

In other words - I LOVE FRACTAL'S MARKETING MODEL.

Line6 absolutely pisses me off charging for their model packs, which were basically getting you to pay for the same models that were already in the Vetta (which I own) for the PodXT, X3, Gearbox and PodFarm. Yes, no one is forcing me to buy it, but it would be nice not having to buy the same thing again and again and again.

Rant over.

Note - There have been at least 20 firmware updates for the Axe-FX. Imagine paying for each one of those?? Avid's Eleven Rack upgrade probably includes some bug fixes along with some of their models, but come on, those new models should have been included with unit. Two new Plexi variations??? A Bass amp? yeah, I'll probably pony up for it eventually, but it still pisses me off having to pay for it since I'm also paying for software fixes.

In other words - I LOVE FRACTAL'S MARKETING MODEL.

Line6 absolutely pisses me off charging for their model packs, which were basically getting you to pay for the same models that were already in the Vetta (which I own) for the PodXT, X3, Gearbox and PodFarm. Yes, no one is forcing me to buy it, but it would be nice not having to buy the same thing again and again and again.

Rant over.
Well, the 11R has had 3 firmware updates. The first 2 were bug fixes and as such we didn't pay for them. We only paid for the 3rd update as it included a whole slate of new items that weren't on the original unit. The 11 Rack only had 11 amp models in it's original state hence the name (Eleven Rack). They had to pick and choose which models got in. And one of the Plexi's included in the update was the 'variac' mod as used early on by EVH - I think that was an inspired choice. There may well of been a bug-fix but as well, I suspect there was - but, I don't know for sure. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bug-fix update on the horizon I can't imagine they got everything perfect with this huge update.

And if there were 20 firmware upgrades for new features it would still be cheaper that an AXE FX Ultra!

And I've still got 14 new feature updates before I reach the price of an AxeFX Standard :)

so what? I would pay for an Editor for the Axe-Fx that works fine out of the box.....most time you need to spend approx. 100 bucks for another USB/Midi-Interface from M-Audio

just my 2 cents

Anyway...nothing is perfect! Anyway, why you bought an axe AND an Eleven Rack? There are plenty of toys inside the axe.....no need of another box of toys, or do you still suffering from G.A.S?

Why are some Axe-FX users so insecure in their head space that they have to "rain down" on the Eleven Rack parade?
It's human nature — an "us and them" kind of thing. That's why there are sports teams. People carry on about their team. Whether the team is good or bad, winning or losing, it's "my" team, and that's that. And fans of a winning team can be positively insufferable sometimes.

It's probably an operational/accounting decision with the 11R. As far as I know, Avid bought the 11R intellectual property and technology from the original creators. They of course would have bought the existing customer base along with that.

Unfortunately, these customers have already PAID for their units, so the future revenue stream from the existing base would have looked pretty thin. It was only logical for Avid to start charging for ongoing R&D work on their devices so that they could have a revenue stream with which to continue that R&D work. Either that or raise the price on new units in order to cover it. I doubt that would have gone down differently from this current scenario...

Not knocking the 11R or Avid here at all. I own a small business, and I am just putting on my 'business owners hat' here to try and see it from their perspective.

I put up the post. I own both. My point was not to knock the 11R, but to thank Fractal for not charging when they do put up an update.

I've already beaten this to death, but it was one of the main contributing factors to me taking a pass on 11R because to be honest the price is very attractive and I doubt very strongly that it 'sucks'. I think that it's a fine system.

But AVID's business model just puts me off so much that I couldn't get beyond it. First its the ProTools integration....that's classic AVID. There's absolutely no reason why they need to have a PT only editor except for the fact that this is nothing more than them trying to get guitarists into ProTools and promote their DAW. Trust me on this. The only thing better than selling an 11R is selling an 11R and a lifetime worth of ProTool upgrades over the course of someone's life.

I really wish that I was better at coding so that I could create a standalone editor for the damn thing and release it for free. That would definitely piss them off to no end.

And when I posted a while back that I was quite sure that AVID would charge for updates I was laughed at and called a hater. To be honest I do feel a bit vindicated...but to be really honest $99 is cheap for them. I don't think that I'd complain that much about it considering how cheap it is to get into the 11R to begin with, but it better be a damn good update. Prices will escalate though; trust me, it's AVID.

My point is that AVID will nickel and dime you to death, they keep all of their systems extremely proprietary and when they do play with others it's in a very limited manner. It's brilliant for business and is why they've been able to buy up everything on the market and rebadge it. It all starts with an 11R and two years later you've got a 100% AVID based system and your wallet is empty.

I've already beaten this to death, but it was one of the main contributing factors to me taking a pass on 11R because to be honest the price is very attractive and I doubt very strongly that it 'sucks'. I think that it's a fine system.

But AVID's business model just puts me off so much that I couldn't get beyond it. First its the ProTools integration....that's classic AVID. There's absolutely no reason why they need to have a PT only editor except for the fact that this is nothing more than them trying to get guitarists into ProTools and promote their DAW. Trust me on this. The only thing better than selling an 11R is selling an 11R and a lifetime worth of ProTool upgrades over the course of someone's life.

I really wish that I was better at coding so that I could create a standalone editor for the damn thing and release it for free. That would definitely piss them off to no end.

And when I posted a while back that I was quite sure that AVID would charge for updates I was laughed at and called a hater. To be honest I do feel a bit vindicated...but to be really honest $99 is cheap for them. I don't think that I'd complain that much about it considering how cheap it is to get into the 11R to begin with, but it better be a damn good update. Prices will escalate though; trust me, it's AVID.

My point is that AVID will nickel and dime you to death, they keep all of their systems extremely proprietary and when they do play with others it's in a very limited manner. It's brilliant for business and is why they've been able to buy up everything on the market and rebadge it. It all starts with an 11R and two years later you've got a 100% AVID based system and your wallet is empty.

This reminds me of when Sony didn't want to give up the rights to BETA and VHT stomped out of there format even though it was better.

$100, Suckers...

:lol:lol:lol...:lol
Well, if by suckers you mean having a new set of amps and a slew of new FX to play with then I'm guilty as charged. I'm really enjoying the XTC models (got some amazing presets just a moment ago), the Super Overdrive and the new clean (superb) and the new delay is just awesome. The other new amps are awesome too, but, haven't worked with them as much. But I don't feel like a sucker, just enjoying new tools and taking this thing live.

If on the other hand you mean having to fork out $2,700 AUD for an Axe FX standard, having to buy an interface, then fork over X amount of dollars for a DAW, - then perhaps we 11R users might call you suckers.

To each there own i guess.

And don't forget that we have more than a couple of "former" Axe FX users on our boards. Shock, horror not everyone "loves" the AXE FX!!! I even saw Cliff Chase say on the forum, to one user after buying an Axe FX user that "perhaps the Axe FX isn't for you" - what does that mean?

Last edited:
not that it's going to get me interested in it any more, but what is actually new in the update ?

Avid | Eleven Rack Expansion Pack

There are a couple of things not listed there. It says there is only one XTC model - the blue channel, but there are actually there of them. The blue as listed, and the green and red. And a couple of new mics as well.

Probably not enough to interest an Axe FX owner like yourself though :) But you never know :)

The 11R is a fine product. I never said it wasn't. Some people find the Axe-Fx too daunting and therefore a simpler product like the 11R may be a better choice. I find it odd that you need to join a forum for a product you don't own just to defend a product you do own. If you are happy with the 11R then be happy. You don't need to come here and piss in everyone's Cheerios.

Well, I am just repaying the favour! I am sick to death of Axe FX users prying their wares over at our forums, in particular, the DUC and 11Rack Presets. So if you find that odd - then look no further that your own users. It 'really' annoyed me. So I decided to do the same - except I am not using any derogatory language. I am keeping it quite above board and am not hiding any facts and have deliberately toned down my language to the point of needing to edit my posts.

At one point I was very interested in the Axe FX and so joined the forum with the intention to ask questions not that I could ever afford it and I occassionally stroll through here to see if there is any news of an Axe FX two point oh. But when I saw that a person had a topic that was mocking a product I had just bought I thought perhaps I should take the opportunity to post. You left the door open and I just walked on through.

Oh boy, it's pretty sad if your sole purpose for visiting this forum is to take "revenge". I hope it worked out for you and you're feeling better now. I think you should stick to this approach. Next time a tourist in your country says something bad about your country, don't hesitate, travel to his country and tell everybody it stinks too.

Last edited:
Revenge is good - revenge works ... just look at the USA, a country that just just went in and invaded Iraq and Afganistan solely for revenge, lead chiely by Wolfowitz - and oil - and now Libya for good measure.
I was going to keep my mouth shut, but that's got to be one of the stupidest analogies I've ever heard.

If that's your barometer for the definition of the word "working" than that lowers my expectations of the performance for the 11R considerably and puts serious doubt into the accuracies of anything you say. There's pretty much nothing that I'd take away from either Iraq or Afghanistan as being an unmitigated success worth modeling.

Knock yourself out though if it makes you feel better about yourself or whatever it is that you are trying to do.

But here's a much better piece of advice, if someone bothers you on the 11R forums, deal with them there directly or report them to a moderator/admin on that forum. If you think so little of someone that irritates you so much why on earth would you mimic them and do the same exact thing somewhere else? You're doing the exact same thing that they are...or can't you see that?

And while I won't argue the motivations about Iraq/Afghanistan because to be honest it's way too complex to even try to delve into here (and I'll readily admit that I don't even know why we went into Iraq when we did) Libya was a case of basically being pestered to come in. Its a plain case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

if the update is so good, how come you're posting here instead of playing guitar?

p.s.
did you play the DUMBle model for too long? :D

If you think so little of someone that irritates you so much why on earth would you mimic them and do the same exact thing somewhere else? You're doing the exact same thing that they are.

Seriously give this some thought..and remember one thing everyone who has responded to you personally here is not one of the guys who would dream of going to another forum to slag off the product or users..whether they liked them or not.

So the reality is you are doing nothing to further the eleven rack cause and only acting like the ones who annoyed you in the first place.

The type of guys your trying to get "revenge" against, who have responded to you, are the same type of guys who make the Avid forum successful..give it some thought!

Wish you well with your update!! :) (genuinely)

Last edited:
I had to look that one up! That girl is going to be rich and famous for no reason other than the fact that she 's a moron. It's a funny world.
She already is!! 60 MILLION views of that "Friday" vid - crappy lyrics, but catchy tune. My 17yr old daughter HATES it, complains BITTERLY about how BAD the song is and walks around the house all day HUMMING THE DARN thing!!! Go figure..

Still, famous or not.. like to dislike ratio is like 91% AGAINST vs. 9% LIKE! Only in cyberspace could some put up so much garbage and become famous for it!!

Well, I'm an 11r user and I paid for the ERXP. It was worth it for me. I'm getting a good amount of use from the new models, specifically the Bogner and Matchless, the new delay is great, Dyn3 Comp and Para EQ are great tools.

I don't see what all the hubbub is about. Sure, Fractal guys don't have to pay for updates, but I couldn't swing an Axe financially, and still needed an audio interface, so 11r (I bought used, with the ERXP I paid less than half of an Axe Standard) works great for me. I go direct to PA, and my other guitarist plays an Axe (also direct) and we both sound great and sound great together. I think theres plenty of room for everyone to coexist without having to piss on anything, on either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom