Downgrading to FW9

The upcoming firmware version 12.00 gives you the option. From the release notes:
The Amp block “Grid Modeling” parameter has been renamed and repurposed. The new name is “Modeling Mode” and offers four choices:
1. Authentic – Replicates a tube amplifier with the utmost accuracy.
2. Grid Cond Off – Turns off grid conduction modeling in the power amp simulation. This reduces blocking distortion.
3. Ideal – Removes most of the “warts” from the modeling which includes grid conduction, output transformer distortion, bias shifting and AC power supply modeling. Supply sag, screen voltage effects and crossover distortion are still modeled.
4. Ideal/Smooth – Same as #3 but also sets Triode Hardness to its lowest value. This is in essence an ideal preamp plus an ideal power amp.

The effects of these settings are most apparent when the virtual power amp is heavily overdriven (e.g. Master Volume set high). The use of these modes in conjunction with other parameters can yield idealized tones not achievable with real tube amps.

The first two choices duplicate the previous behavior of the deprecated “Grid Modeling” parameter so no changes are required to existing presets.

Yeah ok, that's just awesome. Even more stoked for the new FW meow!

The upcoming firmware version 12.00 gives you the option. From the release notes:
The Amp block “Grid Modeling” parameter has been renamed and repurposed. The new name is “Modeling Mode” and offers four choices:
2. Grid Cond Off – Turns off grid conduction modeling in the power amp simulation. This reduces blocking distortion.
3. Ideal – Removes most of the “warts” from the modeling which includes grid conduction, output transformer distortion, bias shifting and AC power supply modeling. Supply sag, screen voltage effects and crossover distortion are still modeled.
4. Ideal/Smooth – Same as #3 but also sets Triode Hardness to its lowest value. This is in essence an ideal preamp plus an ideal power amp.

The effects of these settings are most apparent when the virtual power amp is heavily overdriven (e.g. Master Volume set high). The use of these modes in conjunction with other parameters can yield idealized tones not achievable with real tube amps.

The first two choices duplicate the previous behavior of the deprecated “Grid Modeling” parameter so no changes are required to existing presets.

Wow. :encouragement:

Sounds like a great new way to explore and tweak the Axe ... and learn! Looking forward to FW12.00. :D

:eek:

[How about the modeling version under global settings being added back in?inQUOTE=Moke;938362]Per preset?? damm, this will be sick. Authentic when you want it, and Idealized when you want it. What in the heck will everybody argue about? ................I'm sure we'll find something....;)[/QUOTE]

[How about the modeling version under global settings being added back in?inQUOTE=Moke;938362]Per preset?? damm, this will be sick. Authentic when you want it, and Idealized when you want it. What in the heck will everybody argue about? ................I'm sure we'll find something....;)
[/QUOTE]

They will ask a FW 7 similar settings.... what else!

I would much rather see it in the Amp block. Not in the Global settings. I would like the choice to select the modeling mode per Amp sim. Best of both worlds?

for the record i'm in the accuracy camp....i think it gets better and better with each fw

Which amp models in particular do you find that MUCH better in the Ultra??

Not what amp but the presets, i find far more useful starting point presets then the current ones in FW 11. The simple test for me was preset 000 Plexi i believe, when i first had the ultra i was blown and inspired by that single preset with out touching it, didn't happen with FW 11.

I do not question the true to sound of the real thing the Axe FX II gives, its all about the over all sound of many of the Ultras presets vs just a few inspiring one the Axe Fx II comes with. Took me way too long to achieve the sound i had in my head but i did achieve it.

Not what amp but the presets, i find far more useful starting point presets then the current ones in FW 11. The simple test for me was preset 000 Plexi i believe, when i first had the ultra i was blown and inspired by that single preset with out touching it, didn't happen with FW 11.

I do not question the true to sound of the real thing the Axe FX II gives, its all about the over all sound of many of the Ultras presets vs just a few inspiring one the Axe Fx II comes with. Took me way too long to achieve the sound i had in my head but i did achieve it.

I recommend that you check out Freman's latest AFII presets then.

I tried fw11 and spent 2 days with it. Couldn't dial in a single tone before the panic of "crap. I won't be able to dial this in before the weekend gigs". I rolled back to v9 with v8 modeling.

I think my main issue is that I didn't reset every single block. Really really goofy stuff was happening, but starting with a blank patch sounded pretty good. I have a new guitar being built, so I am going to upgrade and start from scratch when I get it.

FWIW, I have both an Ultra and a II. The Ultra can't really compete with the II in the usability standpoint. Even tones I spent years tweaking sounded better on the II after just an hour with it.

38376 said:
I would much rather see it in the Amp block. Not in the Global settings. I would like the choice to select the modeling mode per Amp sim. Best of both worlds?

Who sad it would be in the Global settings or per preset?

Cliff quoted
"The Amp block “Grid Modeling” parameter has been renamed and repurposed."*

AFAIK the axe-fx II doesn't have a model based on that amp anymore, cliff removed it around version 10. It might have sounded closer to the ULTRA version but I don't remember.

Wow, this is great news, I can't wait for 12.

I was in tone heaven at FW9, couldn't get on with FW10 and am very happy with FW11 but still hanker after the tones I had with 9, so this is the best news I could hope for.

Once again, thanks to Cliff :)

It's really not safe to blame God.

But talking of God, it's fair to give Cliff a special mention, for saying in effect, "Here's the easiest way to trash what I've spend months developing..."

I personally really don't want an ersatz, smoothed-off guitar tone. FW11 gives us more realism than before, to the extent that Axe 2 I think is now indistinguishable from the real thing - and better because you also have a huge number of other options - including trashing all that and rewinding it back to previous iterations.

Cliff please continue. I salute you for your patience and godlike forbearance.

WoW !
I think i will like this alot. It will be cool,to mess around With ;)
Bring on Fw 12.
This will be EPIC

Back
Top Bottom