Downgrading to FW9

The new modeling mode is an awesome idea!

by the way is ultrares scheduled for a v12 release? how is development going?

The upcoming firmware version 12.00 gives you the option. From the release notes:
The Amp block “Grid Modeling” parameter has been renamed and repurposed. The new name is “Modeling Mode” and offers four choices:
1. Authentic – Replicates a tube amplifier with the utmost accuracy.
2. Grid Cond Off – Turns off grid conduction modeling in the power amp simulation. This reduces blocking distortion.
3. Ideal – Removes most of the “warts” from the modeling which includes grid conduction, output transformer distortion, bias shifting and AC power supply modeling. Supply sag, screen voltage effects and crossover distortion are still modeled.
4. Ideal/Smooth – Same as #3 but also sets Triode Hardness to its lowest value. This is in essence an ideal preamp plus an ideal power amp.

The effects of these settings are most apparent when the virtual power amp is heavily overdriven (e.g. Master Volume set high). The use of these modes in conjunction with other parameters can yield idealized tones not achievable with real tube amps.

The first two choices duplicate the previous behavior of the deprecated “Grid Modeling” parameter so no changes are required to existing presets.

It is getting really complicated here. I think this is gone a bit out of hand. Don't get me wrong. I really appreciate all the effort and hard work of FAS and am very happy with all the updates. But I think for the average guitar player there are too many options and parameters to really understand the amp and cab section. Seems like you need a master degree in amp science to know exactly what you are doing. Can we have a dummy button for the next FW update please? :)

It is getting really complicated here. I think this is gone a bit out of hand. Don't get me wrong. I really appreciate all the effort and hard work of FAS and am very happy with all the updates. But I think for the average guitar player there are too many options and parameters to really understand the amp and cab section. Seems like you need a master degree in amp science to know exactly what you are doing. Can we have a dummy button for the next FW update please? :)

I agree, an option at boot time with choice of Standard or Expert mode, where Standard gives the basic amp option just like the ones found on real amps and expert wive you all the other stuff that cant be manipulated on a real amp with out mods and whatnot...

Cliff's "please all" solution doesn't seem to please all. :)

I've previously proposed an "Easy Mode" skin for Axe-Edit. Seems useful to me.

I see where you're coming from...
however I dissagree that's it's got out of hand...

maybe don't worry about the "details" of what gets turned off / on / altered with each of the 4 settings...

just listen to all four of them, decide which works best for you, clicky and save..

so..
seems like now you can please all of the people all of the time..

It is getting really complicated here. I think this is gone a bit out of hand. Don't get me wrong.

FWIW, it sounds incredibly awesome to me. Continues to push towards unrivaled accuracy and gives a flexibility to the overall user control way beyond that offered by the original hardware to make it do stuff it could never do out of the box. If it comes off as described, I'm sure I'll personally consider it Amazing. If you don't want to deep edit, I'm sure it'll be easy enough to configure once and merrily plug and play. This is the kind of "surfing the cutting edge" stuff I was hoping for when I hopped onto the AF2 bandwagon.

Last edited:
You can make V11 sound nearly identical to V9 with just a few adjustments:
1. Turn MIMIC to Off
2. Set Triode Hardness to 0.0
3. Increase Xfrmr Match to 1.2 or so
4. Use the cabs labeled (V9)
5. Set Power Supply Type to DC

I have tried at very loud volume with matrix gt 1000fx and two NL212 and it sounds really better like that!
I think it's beefier and more dynamic HUGE!!
I also love the V9 feeling more...

Hello,

My first post expressed more frustration with FW11 than good solutions. However it certainly seems that there are a significant number of customers and users who, like me, have found v10 and v11 frustrating. I will try the changes suggested by the moderator.

In response to a few comments: When I say unity gain, I mean unity gain as it makes sense in this context. That would likely be a power based measurement with a broadband signal, not a sinusoid.

I think it would be great if Fractal published some broadband test signals here that we could use to establish "loudness/gain" standards for each block/preset.

I would like to see much more user friendly information on the model's features. For example the triode discussion above. I think the community can create this if Fractal provides the guidance.

My POV: I am not interested in reproductions today's or yesterday's amps. I am interested in tomorrow's amps. :)

cheers,
Robin.

Back
Top Bottom