Downgrading to FW9

The advanced params are there to tweak / tailor the sound to your liking... not touching them seems stupid to me. I liken it to the ability to "MOD" your own amp but virtually. Say you were sitting with an amp modder and saying... " I want it a little tighter on the low end " then he would solder in something and walla... same thing.

For high gain stuff I usually hit the input trim up and increase the low cut frequency in the amp block to get rid of some flub. As of late I've been turning down the high cut to the 7-8k range in the cab block which is the same as adding a filter block. I find this helps with loud stage volume tones and takes the ice pick off the highs at those volumes.

But if you are happy with 9 and there is no one thing bugging you about the new firmwares then by all means stay.

I agree with his comments, as I have delt with and been frustrated with the same issues. Almost every factory patch I try clips. That is not user error.

That shouldnt happen. The newest factory presets shouldnt automatically be clipping the output unless there is something wrong with the install. Did you try doing a full reset?

That shouldnt happen. The newest factory presets shouldnt automatically be clipping the output unless there is something wrong with the install. Did you try doing a full reset?

Thank.s tool. yes Iknow the drill and did the drill thing several times. I have set up about a dozen patches I need for my next couple month run of shows, and after I will re-evaluate what and how to use for 2014 lineup. Thanks for the concern.

Thank.s tool. yes Iknow the drill and did the drill thing several times. I have set up about a dozen patches I need for my next couple month run of shows, and after I will re-evaluate what and how to use for 2014 lineup. Thanks for the concern.

Well, just thought I would check :) Hopefully it works out for you guys having trouble with it. For the sake of my own sanity I went through a bunch of the amps on FW 11.05 today and to me they sound great! I used a tone matched IR that I really like and ran through a bunch of the high gainers and while I preferred some more than others (the energyball is a new fav :) ), I thought they were all very smooth. I am going direct to protools in my situation though.

The advanced params are there to tweak / tailor the sound to your liking... not touching them seems stupid to me. I liken it to the ability to "MOD" your own amp but virtually. Say you were sitting with an amp modder and saying... " I want it a little tighter on the low end " then he would solder in something and walla... same thing.

For high gain stuff I usually hit the input trim up and increase the low cut frequency in the amp block to get rid of some flub. As of late I've been turning down the high cut to the 7-8k range in the cab block which is the same as adding a filter block. I find this helps with loud stage volume tones and takes the ice pick off the highs at those volumes.

But if you are happy with 9 and there is no one thing bugging you about the new firmwares then by all means stay.

I can't think of any amp I've played and not being able to dial in a decent tone with just the basic eq controls , I don't understand why multiple ir mixes and all sorts of complex parameters need to be messed with

If you go that far the tone better sound stellar lol or maybe its time to practise (not aimed at you)

I guess 'better' depends on your definition. Because FW9 is your preference, then theres no law that says you can't use it. FW11 has more accurate amp modeling, so if you enjoy more accurate amps, then there ya go!

Last edited:
I really like my unit, and am aware of my user responsabillity.

I am annoyed that the guy's first post was attacked by the fan boy club.

I do not want to get drawn into public controversy, so I am out.

But I will add that the holly tone grail is in the cab ir's. :encouragement:

Reminds me of this thread - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...f-d-up-my-mesa-patches-lots-work-back-v6.html

Lenny D (who I consider a "pro" player - not just playing church gigs) made a comment how he prefers FW6 because FW10 ruined his mesa patches.. Got bashed pretty hard for it too. Then somehow, Cliff admits he made a mistake and he DID mess up the Recto models! - Moral of my story is that Cliff is human (really!) and don't just follow whatever he says, follow your ears. There are at least 6 people in this thread who prefer FW 9 better, so clearly I doubt that is a "user error". Im not saying FW11 is a mistake, but its not "perfect" for everyone.

I get it. I know what Cliff wanted to do with FW 11, and he achieved that. But I just don't care for the "Marshall amp" sound which I know 99% of Fractal users want, and to make every amp react more like a 70's tube amp rather than a polished studio-ready recording device is a turnoff for me. I bought the AxeFX to have that polished, hi-fi recording device; how the Ultra used to be. If I wanted "a real tube amp" then obviously.. I'd of bought a real tube amp, or at least a Kemper which does a better job at it. At this point, FW 11 is a toss up for me; it sounds alright (FW 10 was unusable IMO) but it takes SO MUCH tweaking to get each patch where I want it, and literally searching through every Ownhammer IR just to sound decent (FW9 was perfectly fine with stock cabs) and since FW 9 does not have axe-edit, I will wait til NAMM 2014 and sell my AxeFX at that point and either pick up another Ultra or hopefully another company will fill in the gaps.

Personally attack me all you want, but thats my opinion and I feel I am entitled to it.

Last edited:
I guess 'better' depends on your definition. Because FW9 is your preference, then theres no law that says you can't use it. FW11 has more accurate amp modeling, so if you enjoy more accurate amps, then there ya go!

Good call, Sean. Actually I prefer them both. It's like having two hot chick girlfriends, which one do I choose?

I really have no complaints, I would and DO recomend the AX FX to anybody that asks about it.
I think Fractal is great company with a steller product. Fractal alway's delivers. ((that's the motto I use when people ask about the box.)) I should be on commision :lol

You are totally entitled to having an opinion, but you can't state it as fact saying that FW9 was 'better' (subjective word) and that Fractal needs to go back to it. if you go back to FW9, and you love it, and you can make music, then there ya go :) The Axe FX is not a tool for people to argue about what tone they like best, but a tool for us to get the sounds we hear in our head and create music

Since you seem concerned about finding the right IRs, I have an idea for you!

Roll back to FW9. Make some settings that are perfect for you. Record a DI and the recording of the patch as well. Then on FW11, tonematch :) You should get a similar sound, and then have the ability to use axe edit. If you have problems with gain/clipping its as easy as turning knobs.

I never stated FW9 was better, just better for me.

Anyways, Im trying to get my buddy to bring his Ultra over and I'll A/B them up.. It might make more sense for me to go with the Ultra, especially when that money difference can be used on new guitars.

You can make V11 sound nearly identical to V9 with just a few adjustments:
1. Turn MIMIC to Off
2. Set Triode Hardness to 0.0
3. Increase Xfrmr Match to 1.2 or so
4. Use the cabs labeled (V9)

Also try setting "Pwr Supply Type" to DC for a more polished/studio sound.

You can make V11 sound nearly identical to V9 with just a few adjustments:
1. Turn MIMIC to Off
2. Set Triode Hardness to 0.0
3. Increase Xfrmr Match to 1.2 or so
4. Use the cabs labeled (V9)

Also try setting Pwr Supply Type to DC for a more polished/studio sound.

THANKS!!

You guy's saved me hours of work.

Fractal allways deliver's.

Last edited:
i just don't understand the mentality when there is maybe a handful of guys that have an issue and then try to act like it's hardware of firmware issue and that everyone who defends it is somehow a fanboy or is drinking the kool-aid. it's ludicrous

I think it because God made some of us human. .:stupid:

I am however greatfull for the advise offered a couple posts up.

My life suddenly has new meaning. :loyal:

Back
Top Bottom