Downgrading to FW9

I've spent many hours now trying to nail a high gain rhythm tone in FW11, but it's just not working for me. I got my axe II when FW10 just came out, and everyone was saying how FW9 was smoother and more polished sounding, which is basically what I'm after for now, so I think I'm gonna have a crack at downgrading and playing around tomorrow (day off :lol). That said, is it a case of just loading the file through fractal bot, just as you would to upgrade? Or is FW9 incompatible with fractal bot? Also how do I save a couple of my FW11 patches if I choose to go back again?

Cheers

I did that test following what some forum brother said about FW9 sounding more like the ULTRA, no true! didn't like it, returned to FW 11.

IR IR IR, find the right one. And oh yeah make sure when you up grad your Fw to the latest- 11.05 switch the amp back and forth to re set it. I stayed with Fw 9.02 until 11 came out, worked pre sets out, found the Ir's that worked for me and A/B'd to my former ones with Fw 9.02 in my back up AxeII and bye bye they were kicked to the curb.

This would be very helpful - can you explain where this option exists? Thanks for the help!

Press the global button on your Axe FxII. The first option you'll see is "Modelling Version" and you just turn the wheel to select which firmware,you can go down till Version 7.

Hope this helps.

Press the global button on your Axe FxII. The first option you'll see is "Modelling Version" and you just turn the wheel to select which firmware,you can go down till Version 7.

Hope this helps.

OK I just tried this and there is no entry in the Global UI for modeling version. I am running FW 11.05. Global UI only shows options in the Config tab for Power Amp Modeling (On / Off), Cabinet Modeling (active / bypassed), Spillover, Reverb Mix, Effects Mix, and Amp Gain. In this FW version I see no menu item for Modeling Version. Are you running FW 11.05?

IR IR IR, find the right one. And oh yeah make sure when you up grad your Fw to the latest- 11.05 switch the amp back and forth to re set it. I stayed with Fw 9.02 until 11 came out, worked pre sets out, found the Ir's that worked for me and A/B'd to my former ones with Fw 9.02 in my back up AxeII and bye bye they were kicked to the curb.

FYI, you can just double tap bypass to reset a block.

You cant downgrade the FW in the Global. You could pre FW 11, however FW 11 isnt compatible with lower FW versions if I remember correctly so that function was removed.

I've spent many hours now trying to nail a high gain rhythm tone in FW11, but it's just not working for me. I got my axe II when FW10 just came out, and everyone was saying how FW9 was smoother and more polished sounding, which is basically what I'm after for now, so I think I'm gonna have a crack at downgrading and playing around tomorrow (day off :lol). That said, is it a case of just loading the file through fractal bot, just as you would to upgrade? Or is FW9 incompatible with fractal bot? Also how do I save a couple of my FW11 patches if I choose to go back again?

Cheers
You should backup in the internal memory of the axefx every preset before downgrading : This function is in Utility menu.
Then downgrade with fractalbot, try things then realize you have to come back to fw11 with fractal bot, restore from internal memory, then the trip is over ;)

That's strange. The GLOBAL button is right next to the LAYOUT button on the Axe FxII. I am on Firmware 10.05,when I press the GLOBAL button the first tab is configurations and the first option is Modelling Version and then it is Power Amp Modelling and so on. I am not on 11,so maybe they might have removed the option but that was a pretty neat option man. Just downgrade to 10 then and select the modelling version the way I described it.

That's strange. The GLOBAL button is right next to the LAYOUT button on the Axe FxII. I am on Firmware 10.05,when I press the GLOBAL button the first tab is configurations and the first option is Modelling Version and then it is Power Amp Modelling and so on. I am not on 11,so maybe they might have removed the option but that was a pretty neat option man. Just downgrade to 10 then and select the modelling version the way I described it.

correct, no longer in 11.

Cheers

Be aware that any presets saved in to 10 or 11 will not work in 9. They will just show up as a blank preset.

correct, no longer in 11.

Ahh ok, was a neat feature..

I wonder though has the feature been removed completely, or is it just not compatible with any before FW11?

Meaning in the future are we going to be able to go back to FW11 from 12, or 13? Or is it just gone permanently?

I loved FW9 myself for those polished studio-like tones. But I'm not having any issue getting the same results with FW11. The FAS modern has not changed all that much over time, try giving that amp a shot. It remained pretty consistent from FW9.02 to 11.05 which I am on now, with almost no changes to the preset.

Back
Top Bottom