Downgrading to FW9

The FAS modern has not changed all that much over time, try giving that amp a shot. It remained pretty consistent from FW9.02 to 11.05 which I am on now, with almost no changes to the preset.

+1

And when using RW cabs, use the (V9) verslons.

BTW, the Modeling Version option in the pre-11 Global menu applied to power amp modeling only.

I loved FW9 myself for those polished studio-like tones. But I'm not having any issue getting the same results with FW11. The FAS modern has not changed all that much over time, try giving that amp a shot. It remained pretty consistent from FW9.02 to 11.05 which I am on now, with almost no changes to the preset.

I have to say when FW 9 came out I thought it was a huge huge breakthrough. And I absolutely loved the smooth sounds from it. I am disappointed that I have not been able to get as good of a sound from any FW version since v9. Even using v9 IRs. I've spent countless hours trying and its just not as easy as it should be. I fell like I have to upgrade with every new version because they do contain some good new features and also because I don't think Axe Edit is compatible with older versions like v9. Axe Edit is an absolute must have for me. Using the front panel is OK but gets too tedious after a while.

I have two units and keep one on 9.2 model version 8 for gigging and my other unit I use for new firmware updates and as a backup and it has 11.5 on it and I love the newest features but my gigging unit with 9 is by far the best. I compare them all the time and tweak on the 11.5 but I still like 9 better every time. I should note I have amp modeling on and cab modeling off because I use a tubepower amp and real cabs.

I personally don`t look back. I update and go from there. IMO FW11 is better than any fw before.

I use max 2 min to get a really good sound. Maybe small tweaks after that during playing with a band or backing tracks.
Often when i find a good ir combination, i run trough all the amps and find that it works great with many amps.

But whatever works for the players, is good.

I do a system reset after most firmware upgrades. Many say it doesn't do anything, but to my ears it helps.

I mean hey - who's to say what you are going to like and what you aren't going to like?

But if it were me, and I were having the problems you are having, I would post up some clips that might help people steer you in the right direction before you decide to go back to a version of the unit that isn't supported by Axe-Edit, Fractal Bot, and a host of improvements over the last several FW upgrades.

How did we get this far into the discussion without talking about what you're actually doing? What amp model? What cabs are you using? Do you boost the amp with a drive or not? Not to be pushy, but have you asked dudes like toolfanem HOW they get that polished sound? Hey toolfanem - how do you get that polished sound anyway? :)

I mean hey - who's to say what you are going to like and what you aren't going to like?

But if it were me, and I were having the problems you are having, I would post up some clips that might help people steer you in the right direction before you decide to go back to a version of the unit that isn't supported by Axe-Edit, Fractal Bot, and a host of improvements over the last several FW upgrades.

How did we get this far into the discussion without talking about what you're actually doing? What amp model? What cabs are you using? Do you boost the amp with a drive or not? Not to be pushy, but have you asked dudes like toolfanem HOW they get that polished sound? Hey toolfanem - how do you get that polished sound anyway? :)

Haha, I guess smooth and polished is pretty subjective but I think the biggest thing people don't initially realize is how important an appropriate IR is and the "science" behind getting the tone your after. A lot of people are going from having an amp, to having a modeller that they are running through a DAW setup with studio monitors or a PA system, and need to experience first hand what those differences are. Great tones can be achieved from the AFX2 no matter what you are using it for, but without a little more info its hard to help the OP get anywhere with this. You still there OP?

I would say that yeah, the IR is probably the most important aspect in the overall tone, especially when talking high gain. But the OP has given us absolutely no information whatsoever about what he's after - just that he liked V9 better. Unless he steps up to the plate a bit, I don't think this thread has a chance of helping anyone in particular.

Thanks everyone for your input so far, apologies for taking so long to acknowledge it, been quite busy of late.

I would say that yeah, the IR is probably the most important aspect in the overall tone, especially when talking high gain. But the OP has given us absolutely no information whatsoever about what he's after - just that he liked V9 better. Unless he steps up to the plate a bit, I don't think this thread has a chance of helping anyone in particular.

I thought I had provided enough info to get an answer to my questions - essentially whether 9 has more of a polish to it than 11, and whether I can downgrade and possibly re-upgrade with fractal bot. Anyway. I'm running into a power amp and cab currently, so I'm guessing IR's are out of the question - I'm currently not able to record clips either. In terms of the kind of tone I'm after I like BTBAM's tone from future sequence (which I've had some success with) and the odd djenty adventure (no luck so far). Even with the btbam tone I'm kind of happy with though (FAS modern with modern eq type and mesa rectifier tone stack) I feel like it's still too raw and gritty sounding, which may work excellently at cutting through a live mix, but I only play bass live, so I'm only after good tones for home use/occasional recording.

toolfanem, it sounds like you have some experience in this area, so any tips on getting a smoother sound without using IR's? I'm going into an EHX magnum 44 and then into an orange 2x12.

Cheers

Thanks everyone for your input so far, apologies for taking so long to acknowledge it, been quite busy of late.

I thought I had provided enough info to get an answer to my questions - essentially whether 9 has more of a polish to it than 11, and whether I can downgrade and possibly re-upgrade with fractal bot. Anyway. I'm running into a power amp and cab currently, so I'm guessing IR's are out of the question - I'm currently not able to record clips either. In terms of the kind of tone I'm after I like BTBAM's tone from future sequence (which I've had some success with) and the odd djenty adventure (no luck so far). Even with the btbam tone I'm kind of happy with though (FAS modern with modern eq type and mesa rectifier tone stack) I feel like it's still too raw and gritty sounding, which may work excellently at cutting through a live mix, but I only play bass live, so I'm only after good tones for home use/occasional recording.

toolfanem, it sounds like you have some experience in this area, so any tips on getting a smoother sound without using IR's? I'm going into an EHX magnum 44 and then into an orange 2x12.

Cheers

Are you going Guitar->AFX->EHX Magnum->Orange Cab? Or Guitar->EHX Magnum->AFX->Orange Cab?

So first thing, your basically using two power amps in serial by doing that. If your going to use the Magnum you should turn off the power amp on the patch in the AFX. Granted, a combo of the two power amp section may sound nice for certain things, but your not getting a very accurate representation of what the real amp would sound like unless you are running the Magnum as clean as it will go. I have also heard that the Magnum doesnt play well with 4ohm speaker setups.

Cab sims/IRs should be off for this kind of situation. Have you tried running direct into a DAW to record rather than micing the cab?

Even though the magnum is quite a clean amp? Many of the amps sound rather muffled without, but I will give it a try definitely. The speaker cab is 16 ohms, so I don't think that's an issue. And yes, the few times I've recorded it's been direct into a DAW

Even though the magnum is quite a clean amp? Many of the amps sound rather muffled without, but I will give it a try definitely. The speaker cab is 16 ohms, so I don't think that's an issue. And yes, the few times I've recorded it's been direct into a DAW

What is powering your cab?

The magnum is powering the cab

Thats what I thought, you said your were going to try it without the magnum in the chain which means your not gonna hear anything out of the cab. I quess its a tough question to answer since smooth and polished is very subjective. The tweaks you could make on the axe fx are pretty standard. Try turning down the preamp gain and increasing the master volume for more power amp saturation/compression, or just simply turn the comp setting up in the amp block. Try turning pick attack down, dynamic presence down ect..

Back
Top Bottom