Don't Overlook Smoothing

I have been messing with this lightly thus far since I got my unit, and noticed a considerable difference in tone that I find mostly pleasing. The video example up above is significant! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for this great tip Cliff!!

It really helped me just cut a tad of harshness out, and sounds great!

I added just a touch - like 0.8 or so, but it makes a big difference to my ears! I was trying to eq it out before but that was more tedious - this gets me right where I need to be in seconds!

Pro tip there! Thanks again!

I want to add that the power of tweaking Smoothing with a ToneMatch capture is also incredibly useful. I used the first very few notes of "Walk" by Pantera, which are recorded in isolation (nice!), and just matched against the Youtube video of the song. With a bit of smoothing and EQ, I've got a pretty angry sound I'm happy with.

Nice and useful parameter. I normally only adjust gain, BMT and hi/low cut. This is a really handy parameter that has a subtle but noticeable effect on harshness in higher frequencies. Great stuff.

Is there anything like smoothing on the AxeFxII ?
Dephase is a nice thing to experiment with but I'm guessing it's totally different.

Without Smoothing, the number of IRs usable to me would be decreased by a factor of at least 10. I always find myself cranking it way past what others seem to prefer; usually from 5 to 7.

Unlike others, I quite like my Kemper. But the company and the small piece of the company culture you can see from their forum moderators, there is something seriously wrong with the company. This news just confirms that. Other companies have found a way to work around the KPA patents so hopefully FAS will too. Not that the III needs it per se, more just to poke a finger in their eye 😎

I played a bit with smoothing, and now I'm curious, if this is intended:
If Smoothing is different than 0.00, the time-plot shows also the "Minimum Phase" effect, like in Cab-Lab (it's the same in Axe-Edit and on the front panel):

smoothing.jpg

Back
Top Bottom