Don't Overlook Smoothing

Thats a dick move... things like that turn me off from a company. Often permanently.
tbh it's just another day at the office for business lawyers. C&D is bread and butter business 099 stuff, like trademark infringement. You'll easily lose a trademark if you don't actively defend it.
If it was ongoing he wouldn't have mentioned it (unless to justifiably troll). I don't think less of Kemper since the features are similar in function, though obviously different approaches so it would be too lengthy and expensive to litigate.
More than likely they did the same thing over tone matching.
Check out Randall Smith's amazing C&D's in the amp world, or Gibson threatening garage builders over lower horn contours and pegheads.

I should also say the same idiocy occurred over non/low-latency "binned" convolution we all enjoy thanks to Lake DSP. They got rolled into Microsoft IP after years of threatening small developers, and M$ hasn't litigated it in pushing 20 years.
I wonder what value they would have placed on two cab blocks and two IR blocks worth of non-latency convolution.

I saw this thread earlier yesterday and set out to create a VibroVerb preset specifically keeping the smoothing option in mind. I went thru the VV amps and all of the 1x15 VV IRs and several of my Strats. After I was completely worn out I went back to the thread and saw the preset posted that Cliff was referring to in his post. This completely made my day. After trying every combination I could I got to compare notes between the 2 different patches. Thanks Cliff!

I've been meaning to put together a video or post about Smoothing because it's such a powerful feature. In a nutshell, it can remove boxy, nasally, hollow qualities inherent in many IR's by balancing out the frequency spectrum. I haven't shot and analyzed any IR's to prove it, but I suspect it can also eliminate room reflections from IR's. Check out the samples below. Smoothing was set to 8.00, and the only other thing I did in the Smoothed sample was set the High Cut Slope in the Preamp tab of the Cab block to 7500 Hz to round off some of the high end; with smoothing set that high, it can impart a little more top end. The difference between the two samples is pretty dramatic to my ears.

Wow, that's a BIG difference.

I'm sorry!
Still don't understand "speaker impedance up to 2.0"
I don't understand 2.0 ?? - Cannot set.
Thanks for the help!
Sorry what don’t you understand?

Under power amp section adjust the speaker impedance value to 2 (or 4 as Cliff has in the preset)

I'm sorry!
Still don't understand "speaker impedance up to 2.0"
I don't understand 2.0 ?? - Cannot set.
Thanks for the help!
Jozsef--
It's here:
Screen%20Shot%202020-02-03%20at%205.05.26%20PM%20-%20edited.png

It adjusts the mismatch between the amp's virtual output transformer and the speaker. So, if you want to get the sound of a 4 ohm output driving and 8 ohm speaker load, you set it to 2.0 and you have it. Likewise, if you want to get the sound of an 8 ohm output driving a 4 ohm speaker load, set it to 0.5 and you have it.

Hope that helps!

Jozsef--
It's here:
Screen%20Shot%202020-02-03%20at%205.05.26%20PM%20-%20edited.png

It adjusts the mismatch between the amp's virtual output transformer and the speaker. So, if you want to get the sound of a 4 ohm output driving and 8 ohm speaker load, you set it to 2.0 and you have it. Likewise, if you want to get the sound of an 8 ohm output driving a 4 ohm speaker load, set it to 0.5 and you have it.

Hope that helps!
OH!
Sorry!
I was blind!
I was looking for it so much I couldn't see it!

Was trying to get an SRV tone today. Dialed up a Vibroverb, set Speaker Impedance to 2.0, etc. Selected on the 1x15 Vibroverb IRs. Wasn't doing it for me. Turned the smoothing up to around 7.5 IIRC and there it was. Mixed in another IR also w/ smoothing at 7.5 and had a blast.
Yelling into the mic(yaaaaehh!) right before you blaze into a hardcore blues lick, helps.

Here's the preset. You should use a Strat, preferably with heavy strings.

Tried this last night with Suhr Classic Pro [11's].
Very nice preset!
A-B'd it minus smoothing, sounded more brittle and spiky
The FAS Vibe is also great, quite chewy and watery.
Thanks Cliff, will be keeping this preset.

Played with smoothing on a couple of presets last night. They sounded great before, and even better after. I really liked it on the SM57 Matchless cab IR's as it seemed to add just a bit of upper midrange, improving clarity a tad.

Back
Top Bottom