Don't Overlook Smoothing

Not-so-secret weapon. Smoothing is the finishing touch for a lot of my presets. One of my favorite features to get tones cooking on in-ears, especially!

To what extent should Smoothing be?
6-7-8-9-?
Unfortunately, my ear stops at 6500 Hz.
I can't hear the difference!
Thanks for the reply!

@Cooper Carter, by finishing touch, do you mean you adjust it after you've tweaked the amp and drives and cab (s)?

That’s certainly how I go about it. Once I’ve gotten pretty much where I want to go, I’ll usually tweak the Smoothing just to see it’s going to ’open things up’ a little more. With certain cabs it just seems like I’m adding in some nasty treble, with others it’ll open the tone right up.

Smoothing makes the tone more unfiltered, raw, and direct sounding. Works great for that little extra punch in the eardrums for live tones in particular. It's the IR's response curve that gets smoothed out, so the end result is often somewhat ironically less smooth sounding and more cutting.

@Cooper Carter, by finishing touch, do you mean you adjust it after you've tweaked the amp and drives and cab (s)?

Sometimes I'll reach for it while I'm building out a tone, but most often if I end up using it, it's as a finishing touch after everything is done. I like to see what it adds after I'm done. Sometimes I keep it, sometimes I don't. But it can really help a tone sit nicely.

Son of a mother duck. I just discovered smoothing today. I try not to mess with cabinet parameters, but this is an absolute game changer to me. I've been battling with EQing out that IR "ness" that many of them have since I first got the axe, and this just up and removes it for me free of charge.

This parameter needs to be shouted from the rooftops regularly.

Back
Top Bottom