Don't Overlook Smoothing

Smoothing seems to be similar to "clarity" on the Kemper. Seems like I hear individual strings in chords a little better on some things. Like if it sounds a little muddy, turn the smoothness up.

Yep. I've always been using a bit of smoothing with some IRs. It helps removing harshness. If you look at the IR curve you will see how it is rounded. If you increase it too much you will have a neutral IR, totally losing the characteristics of that speaker/cab

Wonder if it would be possible to do multiband smoothing, keep the peaky low end node of an IR you like but diffuse the top end, or vice versa. I never used it before but those recorded examples sound great with it on
You can do that with a crossover sending the lows to a cab block with smoothing off and the highs to another cab block with the same IR but with smoothing on.

Currently it's not possible to do it within a single cab block cuz the high and low cuts ranges are not wide enough to be set at the same frequency to create a crossover

Thats a dick move... things like that turn me off from a company. Often permanently.
Yeah. Hearing this, I am glad I went with the AxeFX3 and not a toaster....
MEME2020-02-02-06-19-53.jpg

Back
Top Bottom