Cygnus Beta - first impressions

The purpose of showing these cleanish to mid-gain clips is to illustrate the improved dynamics. If you listen closely you should be able to hear the "punch" on the attack and release. That's what is giving that AITR thing.

I'll try to get Justin York to demo some "chug".
Would be so nice if you can demo some Queen - I’d be happy to help if you add me to the chosen ones 😜

It actually sounds like I'm right next to a tube amp! I'm hearing body, warmth and fullness, but it's hard to say how much improved it is without a comparison clip.

The current FW already sounds so real and organic it's hard to say, but with the clips I DID get that instant feel of old band room days with a tube amp cranked up 2 feet behind me.....similar to what Patzag described in the OP
The concept of the current modellers (all of them) is based around a miked cab sound. Why are we talking about amp/cab in the room sound?
I think the only way (for the cab in the room) is to bypass the cab sim and use a real cab...or you will always have mikes between the cab and your ears.

That's why I got a Fryette LXII and A Zilla super fat boy...believe me it's not the amp in the room...it's the CAB in the room. I still like the FRFR way but now I have both.

But I get the new Cygnus Amps improvement toward the real thing vibe.

P.S. I know... I'm not learning anything to most of you but I think it's a good think to remember for the others.

The concept of the current modellers (all of them) is based around a miked cab sound. Why are we talking about amp/cab in the room sound?
I think the only way (for the cab in the room) is to bypass the cab sim and use a real cab...or you will always have mikes between the cab and your ears.

That's why I got a Fryette LXII and A Zilla super fat boy...believe me it's not the amp in the room...it's the CAB in the room. I still like the FRFR way but now I have both.

But I get the new Cygnus Amps improvement toward the real thing vibe.

P.S. I know... I'm not learning anything to most of you but I think it's a good think to remember for the others.
+1 - I'm also a bit purplexed by the amp in the room vibe comments as I think Amp (cab) in the room and mic'c cab (in another room) are 2 very different sounds. I'm hoping these comments are responding to improved accuracy of the modelling which is making mic'd cab (ir) sounds better (assuming these clips are using csb/ir). I have a real cabs/matrix pa setup here for AITR (CITR) which I'm looking forward to trying out with Cygnus for that sound.

Last edited:
The purpose of showing these cleanish to mid-gain clips is to illustrate the improved dynamics. If you listen closely you should be able to hear the "punch" on the attack and release.
Mission accomplished. Are the new dynamics tweakable using the parameters in the Dynamics section of the Amp block?

. If you listen closely you should be able to hear the "punch" on the attack and release. That's what is giving that AITR thing.

I couldn't agree more!! This is where I have had to go to tube power sections in the past. I am very much looking forward to this release!!

Thank you FAS!!!

Loving the Morgan AC-20 sample but the current firmware can’t get this sound? Seems to me it could get pretty damn close. Maybe more effort to dial in in Ares? Feel of course is hard to determine till you actually play it. Regardless, looking forward to the public beta!

edit: just saw Ciff’s comment on listening closely. Probably didn’t listen close enough!

Back
Top Bottom