Best poweramp for Axe III (Goal: LOUDDDDD)

This is the answer if money and weight is no object. The only thing bigger and better would be a Fryette/VHT Classic that will easily power four 4x12s. I have owned both of these and they are incredible.

I am the lucky recipient of permanent hearing damage from attending a Helmet show that used two Fryette Pitbull full stacks. Small venue in Chicago, had shitty foam earplugs because I forgot my own. They went off stage, came back for the encore, and just dimed everything for the last few songs. I could hear very little for the rest of the night.

Fractal in a different thread talked about why a tube amp sounds/feels than a solid state amp given the fact a tube amp has less wattage. If you look up the topic of power amps I believe you'll find it.
I have been using amp modelers and tube amps since the beginning like many people have, however that doesn't mean I know a dang thing. What I think I can say is I've used many different power amps with modelers and types of speakers. I still own both as well. I may be ignorant here , but the term "not true to the original" comment puts me off a little. Look you go by what sounds best to you , for your situation, or whatever metric you use to determine what you need want and like. As soon as you plug your guitar in its not true to the original, your not using the same pickups, speakers, guitar, room, amp settings and so on.
Fractal made their units to obviously work with any powered solution you apply. They made theirs from the beginning to react as close as they could get it to the original device they are modeling, but added ways to equalize room issues or other variables in their amp model being slightly different than the real one. They even gave us the ability to change the amp internals and make it a hybrid.
We also have to keep in mind no two amps or speakers sound the same, as I had bought my cabs in pairs. I can play my Axe fx iii through 4 different power amps and get 4 different flavors, but they aren't really all that different. In a mix you wouldn't be able to tell, but if im in the room alone yeah the difference is easier to hear. It is easier to distinguish if you are the one playing the guitar and not just listening to the person playing.
With the tube power amps and with minimal adjustment I could get them to sound extremely close close anyway, but why should we car about that part. They all still would sound like the original( my virtual amp) in my room anyway. I'm not a fanboy just someone who likes a good product purchase. I say buy a few different ways to listen to your modeler. If you can afford to keep multiple options do it, as we all know sometimes we just need something a little different. For me fractal is at a point where at least on my virtual amps all I have to do is make slight basic adjustments to the amp eq section and your pretty much their, which is absolutely crazy the tech is at this point. I'm still debating why I have my tube amps. I believe I'm just gonna keep the tube power amps and sell all of my virtual amps except one.
Waiting on Fractals new touch screen unit, yup their gonna do it because someone else has😉

I have a matrix gt1000fx 1u on the way in.

I already have the Harley Benton GPA400 I am excited to see how they compare (both should be powerful enough to kill the speakers in my cab).
I also have the Magnum .44 and one of the Seymour Duncans. I plan to make a full shootout.

I heard somewhere that the matrix is best running the level above 1 or 2 o'clock. Anyone who can confirm this?

I heard somewhere that the matrix is best running the level above 1 or 2 o'clock. Anyone who can confirm this?
That be the folklore, but I've never decerned any difference between lowerIn/higerOut and higherIn/LowerOut on my GT1k - but I set it there (1/2 o'cl) anyway - just in case...🤔

Last edited:
I have a matrix gt1000fx 1u on the way in.
<snip>
I can confirm that the 2U version will blow the mid driver of a Fearless F115 for fun at 11 o'clock when using a lot of fuzz and a chopping tremolo effect, single channel, and not even in bridge mode. My urge to turn it up higher lessened after the first time this happened.

Probably not the best choice of speaker for guitar ultimately, but shows the Matrix can push speakers pretty hard. After I blew the mid driver a second time, I bought a pair of Red Sound MF.10. Probably ought to buy a pair of passive 10" or 12" FRFR so I can use the Matrix for guitar in future. The Fearless F115 is now reserved for bass guitar duty, as it sounds fabulous for lead guitar, but doesn't need torturing with high power square wave excursions in the mid-range.

The 2U GT1000FX has been exemplary in every way from the day I got it, but that does seem to include destroying speaker voice coils when I inadvertently ask it to! Even if they are in a cab rated at 800 watts.

Liam

(While I think of it, my one had a short stint last year driving a pair of 15" subs in my FOH PA rig, while I was waiting for a pair of Mackie powered subs to be delivered. They sold it as a "guitar amp modelling" focused power amp, but it does seem to be a remarkably good all-rounder.)

Last edited:
I am going to drive two 16 ohm G12H30 blackjack speakers from the 70s. I'll be very careful. The two speakers will play much louder than I like before the blow up though.

I am going to drive two 16 ohm G12H30 blackjack speakers from the 70s. I'll be very careful. The two speakers will play much louder than I like before the blow up though.
G12H30 are about my favourite 12" speakers of all time, especially in 75Hz resonance guise with Pulsonic cones. They sound more than good with Kurt Mueller cones too. And I agree, they generally start hurting your ears long before you might blow them! Good call, and if you are even slightly careful, it will be a happy relationship!

Liam

G12H30 anniversary was my speaker of choice when I played the amps. I never tried the old ones. But recently a well built 2x12 with BlackBacks came up for sale at a bargain price. I had to hit it. I love those speakers.
I still have a ported 1x12 with an anniversary in - the only remains of my tube amp days - that also sounds killer.

The "Fryette stuff" are among the best tube guitar amplifiers in the world used by many of the elite of guitar players.
There are "elite guitar players" that still lug around tube amps or use Helix or NDSP stuff too.

An appeal to authority like that doesn't mean a product is good or economically smart for you.

As far as the Fryette and Matrix stuff, I compared it to Crown. I found the Crown more uncolored.

If a power amp has a "signature tone", then it is not perfectly replicating its input. Having a "signature sound" is way different than being loud and transparent.

As far as the Fryette and Matrix stuff, I compared it to Crown. I found the Crown more uncolored.

If a power amp has a "signature tone", then it is not perfectly replicating its input. Having a "signature sound" is way different than being loud and transparent.
Well, as far as guitar goes I think we can agree that it's mostly associated with tube tone, dynamics and feel. Fryette got as close as you could get with the LXII - as transparent as it gets with tubes while still retaining the characteristics you love tubes for. I think it's a perfect pairing with the Axe (and it was designed to be as well).

Well, as far as guitar goes I think we can agree that it's mostly associated with tube tone, dynamics and feel. Fryette got as close as you could get with the LXII - as transparent as it gets with tubes while still retaining the characteristics you love tubes for. I think it's a perfect pairing with the Axe (and it was designed to be as well).
The LXII is a great pairing because it's so transparent, especially compared to other valve amps. It's built like a tank, which is great, but it's very heavy. Also those who whinge about excessive fan noise won't like it a lot. The internal fans are loud, and that's understandable, they're trying to keep all that stuff cool in the confines of a 1U form factor which can't have been easy to design.
Owning an LXII made me realise just how great my Matrix is, they sound pretty much the same, basically transparent. The Matrix is a lot lighter, and requires less maintenance. All in all, either of these amps work perfectly with the Axe-Fx.

In this video by Matrix, they advocate that you should start with the Axe volume essentially off, set level on the matrix at noon, raise level on Axe to bedroom levels, and then raise the level on the matrix to whatever level you want. That does seem to suggest that you should at least not run below noon (the video is not very interesting other than this point)

I use this one with my Axe Fx III , it is bit expensive , but ROCKS ! Crystal clear tone. ( Stereo ) Made In USA. View attachment 129674
Absolutely! I've owned many power amps over the years. I was using a MESA Stereo Simul-Class 2:Ninety prior to buying my Fryette.
I love MESA & have used their products for 30 years but their 2:Ninety sounded sterile w/ my 4x12 Rectifier cabs & this Fryette delivers a much thicker & heavier tone all around. I was lucky & found one of the rare red models. :)

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    896.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7257.JPG
    IMG_7257.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 23
I have a Matrix gt1600 I run with my 4x12 engl pro straight cab. Definitely moves some air! But I always use my two 2000w 8" headrush frfr cabs, which are just as loud with a band setting. I got a global eq curve off someone in here that flattens the eq curve to suit the headrush cabs. Definitely helped out big time with the "boxy" sound everyone says they have. Sorry I got off topic. But yes my matrix gt1600 is plenty loud.

Had my gt800 out last night and only after getting home did i realize theres 18dB on out3 i wasnt using, found in the setup menu. Wont know how well it works til.. april? May? Heh.

Had my gt800 out last night and only after getting home did i realize theres 18dB on out3 i wasnt using, found in the setup menu. Wont know how well it works til.. april? May? Heh.
Tell me more about those 18 dB. I did notice out 3 being a lot quieter, but I don't know how to change it.

The Matrix looks tiny on this 2x12
1000004723.jpg

Back
Top Bottom