Best poweramp for Axe III (Goal: LOUDDDDD)

I noticed people throwing out numbers for what they think the Matrix poweramp is doing.
According to the manual, when the Matrix GT800 is run in bridged mode at 16 ohms, it outputs 400 watts.

FXToonT.png

400w is still quite a bit more than a 240w Marshall cab should handle long term, but it's not the 500+ or 800 watts figure some people are using.

I noticed people throwing out numbers for what they think the Matrix poweramp is doing.
According to the manual, when the Matrix GT800 is run in bridged mode at 16 ohms, it outputs 400 watts.

FXToonT.png

400w is still quite a bit more than a 240w Marshall cab should handle long term, but it's not the 500+ or 800 watts figure some people are using.

1700069722994.png

These numbers are straight from the Matrix website. https://usa.matrixamplification.com/gt-800-fx.html

Obviously the numbers in the manual and on the website don't match.

If it’s an older matrix model, the “clipping” light is not really that. It actually just comes on at 10% of the maximum output.
Took this into consideration, turned up output 2 to +4db and my rig started to actually keep up with everyone, not quite as saturated as I like from tube power amp section but now I'm actually audible while standing in front of the cab while everyone was full blast. Still going to introduce a 2x12 but for now I'm content.

Why would you want to be SCREAMING loud? Lol. This is a very 21 year old question. You do realize permanent hearing loss and tinnitus are a thing right?

Why would you want to be SCREAMING loud? Lol. This is a very 21 year old question. You do realize permanent hearing loss and tinnitus are a thing right?
I wear earplugs lol. But the reason I want to be unreasonably loud... I live in new orleans, to stand out in the metal scene here you gotta be f*ckin loud, most bands here have a 4x12 and a 100 watt tube amp per person minimum.

Lets see why not do a wet dry and make it sound wide? making it sound wide it defiantly sounds and feels like it has more balls. heavy sounds damn good and evil in stereo. I know because I run a wet/dry/wet right now.

Last edited:
Not a lot of tube power amp options (anymore)... but the Matrix 1600 would be crazy loud bridged:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Number of channels:2
Watts per channel @ 4 ohm800w RMS
Watts per channel @ 8 ohm480w RMS
Watts per channel @ 16 ohm240w RMS
Bridged mode @ 8 ohm1600w RMS
Bridged mode @ 16 ohm1000w RMS
Input sensitivity:0.775V
Frequency Response (+/-3db ref 1kHz)8hz-24kHz
Weight:10.8lbs
Have the 800w Matrix power amp, does the job well paired with my 1960A, however it caps out rather quickly (maxed out volume and limiter light on but not quite distorting the speaker). For anyone else I think its perfectly loud, but for my band which is essentially a high tech modern doom band, I need to make my rig to be absolutely SCREAMING loud. My first option was to run the out I use to run my cab through the return of my 6505, which worked exactly how I wanted until about the 3rd time I had to lug it into my truck and unload it at rehearsal, realizing even at my ripe old age of 21, that I had to cut down on the gear I use. Any options for a power amp that can keep up with a full blast tube amp? Hopefully something thats a bit more bang for the buck in these hard times? And would my issue be resolved with a tube power amp specifically due to how they react with speakers or would I be able to find a solid state amp that does the trick?
you want to push that cab get you a peavey triple x head. those are powerful heads. I had one and ran it through a 1960a cab and if i cranked up the volume on the amp past 2 I would have blown that cab to pieces.

Have the 800w Matrix power amp, does the job well paired with my 1960A, however it caps out rather quickly (maxed out volume and limiter light on but not quite distorting the speaker). For anyone else I think its perfectly loud, but for my band which is essentially a high tech modern doom band, I need to make my rig to be absolutely SCREAMING loud. My first option was to run the out I use to run my cab through the return of my 6505, which worked exactly how I wanted until about the 3rd time I had to lug it into my truck and unload it at rehearsal, realizing even at my ripe old age of 21, that I had to cut down on the gear I use. Any options for a power amp that can keep up with a full blast tube amp? Hopefully something thats a bit more bang for the buck in these hard times? And would my issue be resolved with a tube power amp specifically due to how they react with speakers or would I be able to find a solid state amp that does the trick?
Ditch the guitar cab get a quality 5000 watt power amp and a PA speaker cab that will handle the job, put a group of faux 412's in front of it mission accomplished! Instead of throwing your pick's into the audience you can throw ear plugs! ;)

Last edited:
Ditch the guitar cab get a quality 5000 watt power amp and a PA speaker cab that will handle the job, put a group of faux 412's in front of it mission accomplished! Instead of throwing you pick's into the audience you can throw ear plugs! ;)
wax potted ear plugs ? I´m assuming they are not prone to squealing, right ? :grin:

If you need loud and uncolored reproduction, get a Crown, QSC, or other studio quality SS power amp. If you need more budget friendly options, the used Crest and Hafler power amps pretty much never die and have quality reproduction.

You will spend less money than on the Fryette or Matrix pixie dust.

Back
Top Bottom