Matrix GT1000FX Amps?

What Class is the Matrix amp? if its not class D, how is it so light? Any other amps out there like the Matrix?
The matrix GT’s are class a/b mosfet amps. They use an aluminum enclosure and switch mode power supplies rather than an iron transformer so they are light.

I also have some older matrix amps that are also class a/b but much heavier as they use steel enclosures and large toroidal transformers.

Not sure why this would be wrt a clean hi-headtoom power amp (unlike what would be expected for traditional guitar p. a. section via fx return). My Matrix is, as far as I can tell, all clean headroom throughout its range - as this type of power amp should be afaiu. There is no gain staging necessary to Matrix or similar. For a given target volume, I can either feed it a lower signal and turn the Matrix' knobs up to attenuate less, or feed it a higher signal and turn the Matrix' knobs down to attenuate more. Interestingly, I've often read the latter recommendation for Matrix but never citing associated logic. Either way, aside from extreme cases where the amp is pushed beyond a typical use case (which would suggest it's not powerful enough for the task at hand) or fed an extremely quiet signal, I can't descern any difference and would not expect any given this is what Ss power amps are designed to do afaik, and should not require the user to generate an atypically high signal level to feed it.
I was going to mention the same thing...

Although there have been discussions here about the Matrix GT1000FX sounding "better" when the level was above 1 o'clock when the overall volume was the same (by adjusting the level on both Matrix and Axe Fx).

This came from Metallica's techs and many Matrix users here tried it and seemed to agree.

I have the GT800FX and didn't really find any difference, but it's not the same amp so that might explain it... I also don't play that music so that might also explain it.

I was going to mention the same thing...

Although there have been discussions here about the Matrix GT1000FX sounding "better" when the level was above 1 o'clock when the overall volume was the same (by adjusting the level on both Matrix and Axe Fx).

This came from Metallica's techs and many Matrix users here tried it and seemed to agree.

I have the GT800FX and didn't really find any difference, but it's not the same amp so that might explain it... I also don't play that music so that might also explain it.
yup - I'd forgotten where the 1 o'clock thing came from but I've always set mine to that, and regulate volume at input - I just have no idea why this would be a sweet spot, and it sounds the same to me as connecting with higher input / lower output, but official Metallica dudes said it so that is what I do lol!
1674330076333.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you hitting it with line level out of the axe? My GT1000fx is insanely loud if I make sure the levels are right throughout the rest of the patch and line level out. I am using F12 X200 speakers in Xitone passive wedges. Its still capable of LOUD gig volume through my Mesa 2x12 and Marshall 4x12 cabs.

Specifically for bass - it's way more than plenty loud for any conceivable guitar situation. Bass just requires substantially more power to amplify to a similar perceived volume, hence bass tube amps being like 3-400 watts relative to a guitar's 100-120

Not sure why this would be wrt a clean hi-headtoom power amp (unlike what would be expected for traditional guitar p. a. section via fx return). My Matrix is, as far as I can tell, all clean headroom throughout its range - as this type of power amp should be afaiu. There is no gain staging necessary to Matrix or similar. For a given target volume, I can either feed it a lower signal and turn the Matrix' knobs up to attenuate less, or feed it a higher signal and turn the Matrix' knobs down to attenuate more. Interestingly, I've often read the latter recommendation for Matrix but never citing associated logic. Either way, aside from extreme cases where the amp is pushed beyond a typical use case (which would suggest it's not powerful enough for the task at hand) or fed an extremely quiet signal, I can't descern any difference and would not expect any given this is what Ss power amps are designed to do afaik, and should not require the user to generate an atypically high signal level to feed it.

Sorry - I didn't mean for tone or sound reasons. * Only * for overall volume. If you give it a louder input signal, the final output signal is louder. Therefore, the hotter you can feed it the more output you can get in terms of actual room volume. If you turn down your axe output really low, you can obviously max the power amp and it will still be very quiet. So if volume is an issue, you can get more by driving the input a little harder as long as you're not clipping it.

FWIW I usually end up around 1-3 oclock and the highest output I can get from my QC. Fractal stuff does a little better there, as the QC is weirdly quiet. The signal lights light up quite bright at that point. If I don't max the output from my QC near red I find myself even higher, almost near max on the matrix. I have better luck with the FM there

Last edited:
Sorry for the late entrance to this. Busy tail end to last week and a weekend of gigging/recovering.

So Matrix IS still in business but the best way to describe it is "in hibernation".
We are out of stock on ALL amps at the moment. This also means amp modules to go into active speakers as they share the same design as the rack amps.
Back order times are starting to come down from the look of things but some certain components were well over a year on back order and now down to just under so still not a significant change. I know people have previously mentioned redesign (like the FM9). Well unfortunately it isn't that simple. The components we use are high spec. Andy has used various components over the years in amps and learnt the hard way what fails and what holds up and some of these components cannot be substituted easily. Certain high spec capacitors Andy said were still out out of stock and of all things power switches, along with others. Needless to say if we had a production run of circuit board made at the moment, they would only be two thirds populated by components. Also certain components for passive speakers are also in short supply (for the crossovers) so this also impacts the passive speakers we have.
Larger companies will weather this better as they have access to larger stocks etc but you are seeing even now companies struggle to get things and delays in some common items. I've ben after a new high end wireless system for over a year and there is nothing there at the moment. At the beginning of the pandemic we'd just had a production run and had over 1000 amps in stock. As the situation progressed it was a case of hoping the situation with supplies etc resolved itself before stock dwindled.

In October I put a notice on the main page of the website stating the situation as we were down to the last few amps in stock. Apologies if people have missed that.

Andy brought anodising in house at the start of the pandemic as finding companies that could do the metalwork reliably was getting harder and quality was getting shoddy. As he developed this, certain local businesses who were also having issues, asked Andy if he could take up some of their metalwork also. There are a few Idaho companies involved in military contracts so lots of business so to speak. It's this "extra work" that is allowing Andy to keep Matrix in "standby or hibernation mode" until things get better. Fingers crossed they do.

So to the "sweet spot" on the amp. I think really all that is happening is that at that point on the amp, the volume comes up to a point where the speaker starts moving some air, it's comparable to a "normal" amp volume so people perceive that as where the amp comes alive when in fact it is just getting to that familiar point where the dynamics and mechanics of sound start to work in way most pleasing for us as guitarists.

Hopefully that answers some points.

Back
Top Bottom