Matrix GT1000FX Amps?

Red Solo Cup

Inspired
So has Matrix closed up shop? I can't seem to find anything other than used on Revrb. If they are closed, what would be an equivalent unit available to order brand new? Just planning for "future GAS pains."

I talked with Andy Hunt not long ago. Matrix is NOT out of business.
Like others, the electronics component shortage has hit them quite hard.

I've played my matrix for 8 years now with zero issues and it still sounds better than the other SS amps I've tried. I was hoping for a GT2000FX for bass but they are effectively gone from purchasable existence at this point.

I guess we’re such a small market
They also run an anodizing business. If I understand correctly, that industry is experiencing a wartime boom at the same time the amplifier business is suffering due to severe shortages. They may be human resource constrained.

I’d love to buy the matrix amp- but I don’t want to pay $900 for a 10 year old amp are there any other manufacturers out there? It seems the matrix is unique in that it’s not class D which I’d like to stay away from and of course the light weight

Last edited:
I’d love to buy the matrix amp- but I don’t want to pay $900 for a 10 year old amp are there any other manufacturers out there? It seems the matrix is unique in that it’s not class D which I’d like to stay away from and of course the light weight

Orange pedal baby is also class AB and so is the ISP one I think

Personally, I always go back to, buy something that is source-able. Matrix amps are great amps for sure. But more and more I see folks posting about how specific companies don't have something in stock and also have no incentive to communicate orders, product status and the like. Something can (and maybe was) great but without the ability to make it and deliver it to your clients, what is the point?

There are loads of ways to amplify a modeler. Buy something that is reliable, source-able and where the company is fully reachable as well as responsive to you.

I've played my matrix for 8 years now with zero issues and it still sounds better than the other SS amps I've tried. I was hoping for a GT2000FX for bass but they are effectively gone from purchasable existence at this point.
Do you think that GT1000FX won't be enough for bass? I'm asking this because I play both guitar and bass and was considering buying it to build a live rig.

Do you think that GT1000FX won't be enough for bass? I'm asking this because I play both guitar and bass and was considering buying it to build a live rig.

It's enough, but I'm usually pushing it pretty hard. My band plays (too) loudly, and I'm keeping up with a loud drummer and 2 guitarists. I'm usually pushing it as loud or louder than cranking my real mesa 400+. I'd be more comfortable with more overhead like the 1600 or 2000, but it's not really necessary strictly. I have also a crown 1502 XLS that's a bit louder but I think the matrix sounds better.

I did have an old big iron class AB crown amp macrotech that was pretty incredible but sounded like a jet engine and weight about 50 lbs by itself. Also needed a 20A circuit :eek:. I sold that bad boy for $400 and spent $150 to ship it

Anything above 2kW is going to draw too much power to be safe using at a normal venue outlet. But I'd opt for either a 2000 or a 1600 any day just for headroom. The trick with power amps is to push the input as high as you can without clipping/limiting/altering the tone so you can get the power section working more for you. On quad cortex it means pretty much maxing out every level, whereas on the fractal there's a bit higher output preamps, so it's a little easier to get the room volume.

It's enough, but I'm usually pushing it pretty hard. My band plays (too) loudly, and I'm keeping up with a loud drummer and 2 guitarists. I'm usually pushing it as loud or louder than cranking my real mesa 400+. I'd be more comfortable with more overhead like the 1600 or 2000, but it's not really necessary strictly. I have also a crown 1502 XLS that's a bit louder but I think the matrix sounds better.

I did have an old big iron class AB crown amp macrotech that was pretty incredible but sounded like a jet engine and weight about 50 lbs by itself. Also needed a 20A circuit :eek:. I sold that bad boy for $400 and spent $150 to ship it

Anything above 2kW is going to draw too much power to be safe using at a normal venue outlet. But I'd opt for either a 2000 or a 1600 any day just for headroom. The trick with power amps is to push the input as high as you can without clipping/limiting/altering the tone so you can get the power section working more for you. On quad cortex it means pretty much maxing out every level, whereas on the fractal there's a bit higher output preamps, so it's a little easier to get the room volume.
Are you hitting it with line level out of the axe? My GT1000fx is insanely loud if I make sure the levels are right throughout the rest of the patch and line level out. I am using F12 X200 speakers in Xitone passive wedges. Its still capable of LOUD gig volume through my Mesa 2x12 and Marshall 4x12 cabs.

I see, thank you for the detailed response! I wish I could find the 1600 or 2000 here too, but I don't think they were distributed here where I live.

I was considering other power amps such as Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700, but the form factor and its quirky design is a dealbreaker for me.

The trick with power amps is to push the input as high as you can without clipping/limiting/altering the tone so you can get the power section working more for you.
Not sure why this would be wrt a clean hi-headtoom power amp (unlike what would be expected for traditional guitar p. a. section via fx return). My Matrix is, as far as I can tell, all clean headroom throughout its range - as this type of power amp should be afaiu. There is no gain staging necessary to Matrix or similar. For a given target volume, I can either feed it a lower signal and turn the Matrix' knobs up to attenuate less, or feed it a higher signal and turn the Matrix' knobs down to attenuate more. Interestingly, I've often read the latter recommendation for Matrix but never citing associated logic. Either way, aside from extreme cases where the amp is pushed beyond a typical use case (which would suggest it's not powerful enough for the task at hand) or fed an extremely quiet signal, I can't descern any difference and would not expect any given this is what Ss power amps are designed to do afaik, and should not require the user to generate an atypically high signal level to feed it.

Last edited:
What Class is the Matrix amp? if its not class D, how is it so light? Any other amps out there like the Matrix?

Back
Top Bottom