Best poweramp for Axe III (Goal: LOUDDDDD)

Have the 800w Matrix power amp, does the job well paired with my 1960A, however it caps out rather quickly (maxed out volume and limiter light on but not quite distorting the speaker). For anyone else I think its perfectly loud, but for my band which is essentially a high tech modern doom band, I need to make my rig to be absolutely SCREAMING loud. My first option was to run the out I use to run my cab through the return of my 6505, which worked exactly how I wanted until about the 3rd time I had to lug it into my truck and unload it at rehearsal, realizing even at my ripe old age of 21, that I had to cut down on the gear I use. Any options for a power amp that can keep up with a full blast tube amp? Hopefully something thats a bit more bang for the buck in these hard times? And would my issue be resolved with a tube power amp specifically due to how they react with speakers or would I be able to find a solid state amp that does the trick?

I'm not an expert, but I remember reading or watching something that explained how the way that tube amps work means they achieve more pleasing sounds at higher volumes, or maybe they achieve higher overall amplitude at a given power rating than a solid state amp does.

As you're already aware, you probably would be able to get what you want out of a tube power amp. The downside there, is that the majority of a tube amps weight is gonna come from the power amp section. That is, tube power amps are heavy.

They're also comparatively pricey. For a dedicated 100W tube amp, I doubt you'll find anything that gets you in the ballpark for less than $1k USD (but I'm open to being wrong on that one). One of the first ones that I could find is the Synergy 1U 50/50 stereo power amp, for $1200. ENGL makes one too, but that one is $1650 and 2U or 3U.

The other option you can take, is just... add more speakers. Nothing will increase your overall volume like pushing more air. But that's a much more "weighty" solution than the power amp.

The Fryette LXII is a tube PA that's specifically designed to be as flat as possible for use with modelers. You don't need to turn off the PA simulation with it so you can still get the authenticity of the different PA models but you also get the tube dynamics you're looking for. 2x50 or 1x100 bridged is plenty loud. I wouldn't pick anything over this for an Axe-Fx.

In this case if you need 100w, then +1 for the Fryette mentioned ^.
...also tossing out the KSR PA-50 as a great option for modelers (has a hifi mode that plays nice) that weights around 10lbs.

Matrix 2000? Any tube amp over 30w into one or two 4x12 will be loud as thunder jet volcano.

The speakers themselves can ”quadruple” your SPL: sensitive 101db per watt speaker compared to a less sinsitive 96db per watt speaker means you’d have to use three times more power for same SPL. If a low sensitivity speaker is also a 16ohm model, youll have hard time being crazy loud with a transistor power amp. Tube amps dont care, they just crush any resistance.

Last edited:
I have NOT used my power-amp at high levels for guitar, but it's enough to make my two 15/6 fearful cabs cry when playing bass. I had a matrix 800 and hated it. Landed on this Crest Pro-LITE and have been using it for ~6yr. https://peaveycommercialaudio.com/product/pro-lite-2-0/ It seems to be as loud as my 300W tube Verellen Meatsmoke head through the same cabs. FWIW, I used it to push two Eminence 3015LF and two Focal 6" (can't remember the model). That Crest will likely destroy a 4x12 of G12s at anything above 50% if you're playing on the low end/djent.

Not sure how loud you're trying to go but my 15w Dusky D2O through a 2x12 is FUCKING LOUD. My drummer is a gorilla and I run that amp at 7W/5 Mvol and that easily plays over him. There is a point where your loudness will be forcibly curbed by the sound guy.

Last edited:
Not a lot of tube power amp options (anymore)... but the Matrix 1600 would be crazy loud bridged:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Number of channels:2
Watts per channel @ 4 ohm800w RMS
Watts per channel @ 8 ohm480w RMS
Watts per channel @ 16 ohm240w RMS
Bridged mode @ 8 ohm1600w RMS
Bridged mode @ 16 ohm1000w RMS
Input sensitivity:0.775V
Frequency Response (+/-3db ref 1kHz)8hz-24kHz
Weight:10.8lbs

Have the 800w Matrix power amp, does the job well paired with my 1960A, however it caps out rather quickly (maxed out volume and limiter light on but not quite distorting the speaker). For anyone else I think its perfectly loud, but for my band which is essentially a high tech modern doom band, I need to make my rig to be absolutely SCREAMING loud. My first option was to run the out I use to run my cab through the return of my 6505, which worked exactly how I wanted until about the 3rd time I had to lug it into my truck and unload it at rehearsal, realizing even at my ripe old age of 21, that I had to cut down on the gear I use. Any options for a power amp that can keep up with a full blast tube amp? Hopefully something thats a bit more bang for the buck in these hard times? And would my issue be resolved with a tube power amp specifically due to how they react with speakers or would I be able to find a solid state amp that does the trick?
this is by far your best bang for buck, forget about the Fryette stuff, needlessly expensive.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLS2502--crown-xls-2502-power-amplifier

I have NOT used my power-amp at high levels for guitar, but it's enough to make my two 15/6 fearful cabs cry when playing bass. I had a matrix 800 and hated it. Landed on this Crest Pro-LITE and have been using it for ~6yr. https://peaveycommercialaudio.com/product/pro-lite-2-0/ It seems to be as loud as my 300W tube Verellen Meatsmoke head through the same cabs. FWIW, I used it to push two Eminence 3015LF and two Focal 6" (can't remember the model). That Crest will likely destroy a 4x12 of G12s at anything above 50% if you're playing on the low end/djent.

Not sure how loud you're trying to go but my 15w Dusky D2O through a 2x12 is FUCKING LOUD. My drummer is a gorilla and I run that amp at 7W/5 Mvol and that easily plays over him. There is a point where your loudness will be forcibly curbed by the sound guy.
What was the problem with Matrix?

Back
Top Bottom