Banned from TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah....it's often hard to tell the difference between a friendly argument and a combative one.

I'm definitely guilty on both sides of that one.

I'm picturing a jam session 30 guitarists and no drummers.

That.....sounds like it could be a nightmare. Or a lot of fun. Literally no idea which.

I'm thinking more on the level of meeting with the stars of the Fractal products and get some time to hang with them. Cooper Carter, Cliff, Matt, Leon Todd, Marco Fenton. It would be so awesome to gain some knowledge from them personally. And also to thank them face to face for all the knowledge they share with us.

The Dallas meeting had no real jam sessions and no one from Fractal there as far as I remember. It was pretty much just to meet and share information. And maybe an Atomic demonstration. Can’t even remember if the CLR was out yet or not. It was just a few hours on a Sunday afternoon.

There were a few there that are still active. AlbertA, christo4er, Ben Randolph I think. Hope I got the “names” right!

Like those (and cats, giraffes, cheetahs, etc.) best of all FB content. People mostly suck....
Nah, people are mostly okay. But when thrust into an environment whose main theme is “Check out my cool life,” they tend to pose and strut.

By the way, to save you all hundreds of hours of reading, here are the phrases that make up 50% of all Facebook posts:

“So cute!”
“Great pic!”

Nah, people are mostly okay. But when thrust into an environment whose main theme is “Check out my cool life,” they tend to pose and strut.

By the way, to save you all hundreds of hours of reading, here are the phrases that make up 50% of all Facebook posts:

“So cute!”
“Great pic!”

some amount of de-duplication could likely occur

Yes...

For those in the FAS echo chamber engaging with the trolls results in cheers for FAS and sneers toward TGP mods and trolls.... but at TGP - it's like @FractalAudio never existed. Past posts/knowledge is gone, and future posts will be missed by a lot of future potential customers.... not sure if retreating into an echo chamber is the best move (assuming it's a temp ban and FAS is protesting re-joining TGP), but I totally get why that's the current move......

I've been playing guitar since before the internet, have bought (not so much sold) tens of thousands of dollars of gear over the last 15-20 years, and have never once used TGP as a resource for anything. The only time I look over there is if I hear about some drama and either want to know the context of it, or be reminded why that place sucks. From an outsider attempting to get information on a piece of gear, it would seem that merit is only based on who can scream the loudest. Otherwise just about every product under the sun has equal parts fanbois and detractors and every conversation turns to mud and bullshit. I have no idea how anyone can make an informed decision based on any discussion on that page.

I had an AxeFX Standard, AX8, and ordered my FM3 before joining here, and initially joined here just to keep up with waitlist info. I'm here 'because' it's an FAS echo chamber. I don't need support for my decision to use Fractal stuff, I need support for my product. It also turns out that there are some interesting conversations to kill some time here about guitars, music industry happenings, etc.

I've been playing guitar since before the internet, have bought (not so much sold) tens of thousands of dollars of gear over the last 15-20 years, and have never once used TGP as a resource for anything. The only time I look over there is if I hear about some drama and either want to know the context of it, or be reminded why that place sucks. From an outsider attempting to get information on a piece of gear, it would seem that merit is only based on who can scream the loudest. Otherwise just about every product under the sun has equal parts fanbois and detractors and every conversation turns to mud and bullshit. I have no idea how anyone can make an informed decision based on any discussion on that page.

I had an AxeFX Standard, AX8, and ordered my FM3 before joining here, and initially joined here just to keep up with waitlist info. I'm here 'because' it's an FAS echo chamber. I don't need support for my decision to use Fractal stuff, I need support for my product. It also turns out that there are some interesting conversations to kill some time here about guitars, music industry happenings, etc.
Funny, because I had the exact opposite experience. I learned about FAS from TGP.

A lot of media is a cesspool, it's just how it is. You learn to parse through the BS to find the facts. You learn who the BSers are and who to trust... I'm talking about Media in general not just forums...

I'm not going to throw out all of TGP because of a few bad apples. There's still good to be had, and people to reach.

I'm not going to throw out all of TGP because of a few bad apples. There's still good to be had, and people to reach.

You learn to parse through the BS to find the facts.

The wheat from the chaff. Same throughout life.

And the Pareto heuristic: there's 20% of the value in 80% and 80% of value in 20%.

Online we may be approaching 95% noise coming from 5% of folks. Then again, some people's noise (“So cute!”) is another's gold.

The wheat from the chaff. Same throughout life.

And the Pareto heuristic: there's 20% of the value in 80% and 80% of value in 20%.

Online we may be approaching 95% noise coming from 5% of folks. Then again, some people's noise (“So cute!”) is another's gold.
u can fool some of the people some of the time...

ummm - ya that's it...

n u can fool all of the people some of the time...

k

but u can't fool all of the people all of the time.

dunno ... seems to make sense

Last edited:
Funny, because I had the exact opposite experience. I learned about FAS from TGP.

I had the exact opposite experience of this. I learned about FAS from playing at and going to shows, and I kept seeing this same rackmount unit with a green rectangle screen in many acts that also sounded good, both professional and amateur. I talked to many of the artists and found out what it was they were using, and how they were using it, found a used Standard, and haven't looked back since.

I think it's equally telling what units I didn't see during that same time frame, and it's not because I wasn't looking. I didn't need the internet to tell me what people were using, or what sounded good, because the performing industry spoke for itself.

I've heard good sounds from just about every modeler out there. I've played through Helixes and Kempers and enjoyed the experience. I went the way I did because of what I saw working in many genres, and it works for me too, so I don't particularly care about anything else. Last thing I feel like doing is starting from scratch in another ecosystem.

Just saying, there's a world out there beyond TGP and the internet that you can also learn from without having to parse through bullshit :)

I always wondered why Fractal stopped doing those types of gatherings. Obviously with the pandemic over the last couple of years, but getting together with other Fractal users would be awesome fun.
Get togethers that occur as satellite events at a bigger event work well, but it’s getting harder for people to justify going to the big ones.

Perhaps some video conferences would be an easier starting point.

A lot of media is a cesspool, it's just how it is. You learn to parse through the BS to find the facts. You learn who the BSers are and who to trust... I'm talking about Media in general not just forums...

Unfortunately, the number of "bad apples" seems to be increasing, while really knowledgeable and helpful people have been driven off in sizable numbers due to harassment from said bad apples. The atmosphere has definitely changed over the years, and not in a way that really appeals to me. Every day it feels more like any other dysfunctional social media site (Twitter, FaceBook, etc) than an actual gearhead community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom