>>> Axe-Fx Ver 8.05 and Ultra Ver 8.06 Firmware Released <<<

Thanks Cliff.

I thought the Full OD sounded better, but wasn't sure if it was because of my setting the drive control lower because of the changes to it, or just my imagination. :)

Those models should sound a bit more open, especially when striking the strings hard.

Re: >>> Axe-Fx and Ultra Firmware Version 8.05 Released <<<

javajunkie said:
gittarzann said:

Back atcha :D Which drives were improved are not listed ;)

It does not say which need to be auditioned because of the drive change but that is separate from the drive improvements

:oops: my apologies.

I read this

The following models are affected by this change:
- SUPER OD
- TS808 OD
- TS808 MOD
- FULL OD
- SHRED DIST
- BENDER FUZZ

and thought that was the list.

my bad!

My earlier thanks to you, Cliff, were lost when the 8.04 thread was replaced with this 8.05 thread.

Code:
v8.04
External Controllers now default to maximum on power-up as opposed to zero.  If assigned to a MIDI CC and no MIDI data incoming then value will remain at maximum.  This allows using unit with no MIDI controller attached more easily, i.e. Volume block has External Controller assigned to Volume parameter.
So again, my huge thanks for this change. I'm thrilled I can finally turn my AxeFX on without a foot-controller connected and have sound instead of dead patches.
:D :D :D

I've updated my review to include this change as well as my appreciation that you listen and respond to your user community. Something quite rare in current times!

Now, I really don't want to sound ungrateful, but this change may not suit everyone. In addition to having volume, all other external-controlled effects are now also activated and at extreme settings. Nevertheless, I'd much prefer to have volume than none, so perhaps it's prudent to see how, or even if, other users are affected. I still think the ultimate solution is to have user-set startup values for the 8 external controllers. The saying "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind, but truly, I am delighted to have sound now when I turn on my AxeFX, and I will no longer initiate discussion on this topic. :oops:

brettllingle said:
Sounds great! I hope this don't sound like I am complaining but what's the deal with no new amp models Cliff? I remember reading a post where you said an amp is more likely to be modeled if someone could send a schematic well I emailed you a schematic of a Mesa Boogie Lonestar in PDF format about a month or so ago? The last amp modeled was the Cornford and that was in update 7.04, 20 updates later and still no new amp models are there any more going to be added?

If you only use the Mesa amps why do you need to sound like a needy child looking for new amps? Be happy with the amount of firmware updates we've had making a great product even better.....

Re: >>> Ultra Firmware Version 8.05 Released <<<

Thank you hugely much, Cliff!

Just one week after I was thinking: "Hey, it's been a while since our last upgrade." Not that I was missing anything... or thinking there was anything wrong... or that there should be anything more... or different... can't think of anything. I just thought it'd been a while.

AndrewSimon said:
Scott Peterson said:
I have a gig tomorrow morning, but the wife has a headache tonight... so I have some time tonight to suss this out. Let's upgrade us some firmware!

Did she ever mentioned you loving your guitar more then her?

Mine did.... I told her not to pick fights she can not possibly win.

:D
That one I definitely don't believe.
My wife would pack up my guitar stuff and put them out in the rain. Then she would pack up my clothes and put those next to them. Then she'd trick me to go outside and bolt the doors. I love her so much!

Cliff,
Many thanks for the new firmware upgrade. I'm only sorry not to be able to upgrade before my shows this weekend. :x

You rock! :D

Please, Please, Please

That's exactly what I use - External controllers to control the state of effects and now all of my effects default to ON. This is not working for gigging at all ... :(

Do you think it will reset itself once I connect my FCB1010 ??? I really really don't want all of my effect default to "on" on power up

Cliff - could you please chime in and describe the intended behavior ?

Sending this to support as well

Mik.

GM Arts said:
My earlier thanks to you, Cliff, were lost when the 8.04 thread was replaced with this 8.05 thread.

Code:
v8.04
External Controllers now default to maximum on power-up as opposed to zero.  If assigned to a MIDI CC and no MIDI data incoming then value will remain at maximum.  This allows using unit with no MIDI controller attached more easily, i.e. Volume block has External Controller assigned to Volume parameter.
So again, my huge thanks for this change. I'm thrilled I can finally turn my AxeFX on without a foot-controller connected and have sound instead of dead patches.
:D :D :D

I've updated my review to include this change as well as my appreciation that you listen and respond to your user community. Something quite rare in current times!

Now, I really don't want to sound ungrateful, but this change may not suit everyone. In addition to having volume, all other external-controlled effects are now also activated and at extreme settings. Nevertheless, I'd much prefer to have volume than none, so perhaps it's prudent to see how, or even if, other users are affected. I still think the ultimate solution is to have user-set startup values for the 8 external controllers. The saying "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind, but truly, I am delighted to have sound now when I turn on my AxeFX, and I will no longer initiate discussion on this topic. :oops:

mik said:
External controllers to control the state of effects and now all of my effects default to ON. This is not working for gigging at all
I feared this might be the case.

As above, I think the best solution is to have user-set startup values for the 8 external controllers. However, this will require a small change to the interface, and I expect Cliff has better things to do.

So perhaps a flexible compromise might be to:
> have External Controllers 1 to 6 initialise to zero - this should cater for most patches for most users with the old behaviour
> have External Controller 7 initialise to 64 - this will cater for users needing a middle value such as panning, to use this controller to start with sound in both channels (instead of all left or all right)
> have External Controller 8 initialise to 127 (max) - this will allow volume pedal users to power up the AxeFX with volume insted of dead patches

This is the simplest and best compromise I can think of.

To mik,

These startup problems exist when you don't have a footcontroller connected and there's no easy way to change these controller values from the front panel (changing just one requires 20+ button and dial clicks!).

However, if you have a footcontroller connected you may be able to send CCs after a patch change to set the CC values you want. My controller sends startup values after a power-on delay as well as reset CCs after program changes. Of course, this may not work for you either if you're using a "virtual pedalboard" arrangement where program changes intentionally don't change effect states.

Only the power-up state is changed. If you have a MIDI controller attached, as soon as you send a CC the controller value is set. Your presets will work as before.

Why on earth you use External controllers to control the effect state is a topic for another discussion.

Err...Cliff, did you really mean to ask a question there? An external controller to control the effect state lets you do some interesting things.

For example: an external on/off switch to turn your wah on/off instead of an IA assignment lets you set up a bypassed wah block, plus a bunch of other bypassed blocks. Now I can use the global bypass to turn on the other "stuff". Giving me two sounds on one patch. And I still have the wah to play with when I need it. I do this with my Lexicon R1 and my patches quite often. It's got a switch on it labeled A/B that I've assigned to global bypass in the Axe-Fx.

In a similar vein, for patches where I use a whammy effect I'll assign the button under my rocker pedal to be pitch block bypass. So that button floats around doing whatever duty it needs to do on a patch by patch basis.

Now, my R1 doesn't send CCs on patch changes and I'm not seeing a problem here. I have my wah bypass state set to be controlled by the on/off CC underneath the rocker continuous controller on the R1 for a few patches. And the patches have other bypass blocks in them that are either assigned to IAs or not assigned at all that I'm toggling on/off in a group using the global bypass IA. And my wah block was definitely in the bypass state when I was flipping through my patches last night. But my controller was connected at the time (though not being used to change patches -- I was just using the scoll wheel).

Edit: I'll do a double check in a few minutes to make sure my setup is indeed behaving sane with my R1. But I didn't notice anything last night after upgrading and I played with patches for a few hours...

FractalAudio said:
Only the power-up state is changed. If you have a MIDI controller attached, as soon as you send a CC the controller value is set. Your presets will work as before.

Why on earth you use External controllers to control the effect state is a topic for another discussion.

I use them to override the global settings, switch between 2 effects w/ one click, other effects that do not have a dedicated CC# can be assigned to it.

Isn't that why you made a modifier for the bypass (so you could use an external controller to control the effects state)?

Back
Top Bottom