Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.01 Public Beta (Beta 2)

Hi Camilo, good to see you're still around here!

Make sure you're not high-passing the audio signal somewhere in the chain, as that will probably influence the results.
The existence and/or importance of a parameter whose main effect is subsonic is super confusing to me.
  • Pretty much no monitoring will reproduce anything that low
  • The behavior of a listening room down there is difficult to measure and control, and isn't a likely criteria in room design or construction
  • It's common practice to highpass guitar signals at for example 80 Hz if not higher, to conserve power amp headroom
  • We've been told repeatedly that guitars in a mix don't belong in the deep registers, we should leave that to kick and bass, and that's talking about low audible ranges, much less subsonic
This whole concept is super weird to me. Which probably just means I have no clue about anything. (I also almost never do betas, so I haven't heard it.)

Last edited:
The existence and/or importance of a parameter whose main effect is subsonic is super confusing to me.
  • The behavior of a listening room down there is difficult to measure and control, and isn't a likely criteria in room design or construction
  • It's common practice to highpass guitar signals at for example 80 Hz if not higher, to conserve power amp headroom
  • We've been told repeatedly that guitars in a mix don't belong in the deep registers, we should leave that to kick and bass, and that's talking about low audible ranges, much less subsonic
This whole concept is super weird to me. Which probably just means I have no clue about anything. (I also almost never do betas, so I haven't heard it.)

I don't think that "Thump" is used in the sense of subsonic, but as in "something so thick or heavy as to cause a dull sound" (I've used the diccionary. English is not mi primera lengua). The effect of pluggin a 50W CAB into a 100W amp is not in the subsonic realm but on the "trash" realm

It's nonlinear so all the above points are moot.

Seems like a bit of over analyzing happening to me .
I clearly hear and feel the results. It’s not a “slap you in the forehead” thing to me but a pleasing natural thickening to the speaker when mixed with the speaker drive and compression. I found myself turning down (or off) the floor parameter and adding thump was a nice result. You can analyze it or use it. If you don’t hear it, don’t sweat it. Not everyone will it seems.

It’s not a “slap you in the forehead” thing to me but a pleasing natural thickening to the speaker when mixed with the speaker drive and compression.

This is interesting. So I’m wondering if that’s part of the context, that it’s more pronounced when you are already using more Drive and Compression, but without those two parameters it’s even more subtle. I’ll have to experiment more with that.

If you are using a real guitar speaker you may want to turn these controls down/off. With an FRFR I would not recommend that as FRFR speakers are not designed to distort like guitar speakers do.

Hi! Would anyone be so kind to help me understand if the new parameters Speaker Drive, Speaker Breakup and Speaker Thumb are applicable to systems with SS amp and real cab? (Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 + mesa recto mini 1x12”).

I understand that, for example, with my setup, it is advisable to leave the speaker compression at zero. Not sure if I am supposed to do the same with these other parameters

Thank you!

Hi! Would anyone be so kind to help me understand if the new parameters Speaker Drive, Speaker Breakup and Speaker Thumb are applicable to systems with SS amp and real cab? (Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 + mesa recto mini 1x12”).

I understand that, for example, with my setup, it is advisable to leave the speaker compression at zero. Not sure if I am supposed to do the same with these other parameters

Thank you!

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-20-01-public-beta-beta-2.184738/post-2276849

Thank you!
I use these controls when playing at low volume into real cab to simulate running the cab harder at higher volume. Not sure how accurate that's gonna be but...

I’ve been in Fractal tonal nirvana for over 10 years!

14 years to be exact.

I’m happy in the direction Fractal has taken in advancing options to affect the overall “feel” & “senses” aspect!

I gather drastic improvements in the “subtle” enhancements may be perceived more dramatically in the feel and senses….yet perceived very little in the sound …or maybe not at all.

I’m excited in the prospects of future updates in this regard!!

I say that with much reserve as every time I think it can’t get any better …Cliff & Fractal has not one ….but a series of epiphanies!

the thump is interesting, it add a little more "ohmmff" and remove some high frequencies and harsheness the more you pump it . now I need to find a balance hm .

Yeah 20 was so radically different, had my first gig with last weekend and it really was like getting a new unit - and that dramatic jump has happened about 5 times so far! 20 was just special, especially in the cleans for me. Haven’t tried the beta yet - I’m almost scared! This is the golden age of guitar modelling that we’ll be boring our grandkids saying “we were there…”

It's nonlinear so all the above points are moot.
With all due HUGE respect, just trying to understand, what does that mean?

That monitors actually will reproduce subsonics, our rooms will handle them well, and that they really do belong in a mix?

Maybe what it means is that describing this as affecting subsonics is shorthand for something harder to explain, and that I understand nothing of this.

Last edited:
If you are using a real guitar speaker you may want to turn these controls down/off. With an FRFR I would not recommend that as FRFR speakers are not designed to distort like guitar speakers do.
I can see how this could be a concern at high volumes, but I have a hard time seeing how this would be a problem at lower levels where the FRFR has ample headroom. We wouldn't think twice about feeding that signal to the PA.

Edit: I totally misread the post I quoted.

Last edited:
I can see how this could be a concern at high volumes, but I have a hard time seeing how this would be a problem at lower levels where the FRFR has ample headroom. We wouldn't think twice about feeding that signal to the PA.
@FractalAudio is saying that, if you're using FRFR, he would not recommend turning those controls off, because they model the speaker distortion that guitar speakers provide when they're driven hard — and FRFR is not a guitar speaker. ;)

Back
Top Bottom