Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.01 Public Beta (Beta 2)

Seems like a little less chime but has something else that's nice, notes are kinda thickerer. I really like it.

I think I found a bug. With certain combinations of speaker drive and speaker thump the sound goes away when playing some notes, as if something is overloaded. Is this normal? It doesn't do this as soon as I turn off any of the mentioned parameters.

Here's a sample and a preset showcasing the issue:

I will add that it sounds exactly like what happens when a voice coil melts down. I had that happen in a recording session. I was running the amp really hot into a cab in another sound isolated room. It sounded great until the sound started dropping and out, then just fizzled away. Went to check things and there was this horrible smell and smoke coming from the back of the cab. Speaker coil was toast. But, the behavior was eerily simarlat to what happens when you turn speaker drive and thump really high.

Now do that, add a fuzz with some sample rate reduction and/or bit brusher in the drive and you can get some pretty awesome mangled, spitty, oversaturated, gated sounds :)

Preset Top Boost
POP and clicks are heard when switching between Scene 5 and Scene 6.
I looked at this. It's pretty minimal but I do hear it.
In Scene 5, the Drive block is bypassed and on channel A.
In Scene 6, the Drive block is engaged and on channel B.
EDIT: I sent a preset to Cliff, who told me that he had fixed it earlier. "You gotta wake up pretty early....." ;-)

Last edited:
EDIT: I sent a preset to Cliff, who told me that he had fixed it earlier. "You gotta wake up pretty early....." ;-)
Some of Austin Buddy's bass presets popped when switching to different scenes. I haven't looked to see if the Drive block is part of the preset.

I will add that it sounds exactly like what happens when a voice coil melts down. I had that happen in a recording session. I was running the amp really hot into a cab in another sound isolated room. It sounded great until the sound started dropping and out, then just fizzled away. Went to check things and there was this horrible smell and smoke coming from the back of the cab. Speaker coil was toast. :)
Spot on description!

A decade ago or so, Tonker 8ohm in a custom isolation box, my all time favorite custom Metro plexi on full blast and an UA attenuator between them (and probably an Axis Fuzz engaged, I can't remember). The problem was that the UA had a bypass switch and, well, it was bypassed while it shouldn't (my fault). The result was captured here:

I still remember the smell and the smoke (when I opened the isolation box's door, jeez)...funny thing, it was a brand new speaker...oh, well, I guess it put on a good show the few seconds it lasted, lol...

I am not on the latest firmware yet but if it sounds a bit like that, then Cliff got it right, lol.

PS: unfortunately, the same thing happend with a Scumback H75 100W but I wasn't recording at that time...tell you what, I am happy I went full/digital, lol...no blown off speakers and transformers, no failing tubes etc...

Last edited:
Spot on description!

A decade ago or so, Tonker 8ohm in a custom isolation box, my all time favorite custom Metro plexi on full blast and an UA attenuator between them (and probably an Axis Fuzz engaged, I can't remember). The problem was that the UA had a bypass switch and, well, it was bypassed while it shouldn't (my fault). The result was captured here:

I still remember the smell and the smoke (when I opened the isolation box's door, jeez)...funny thing, it was a brand new speaker...oh, well, I guess it put on a good show the few seconds it lasted, lol...

I am not on the latest firmware yet but if it sounds a bit like that, then Cliff got it right, lol.

PS: unfortunately, the same thing happend with a Scumback H75 100W but I wasn't recording at that time...tell you what, I am happy I went full/digital, lol...no blown off speakers and transformers, no failing tubes etc...

That’s so cool! Now, I mean. Probably wasn’t at the time…

I loaded the beta up tonight and was having another run through Cooper’s master class, just to refresh my memory with all the handy tips and tricks.
Went through dialling in the first presets (clean, EoB and classic rock) doing my usual substitute for YA ir’s and a few tweaks and sweet baby Jesus and the orphans!! For what feels like the umpteenth time with the Axe, I stopped playing at the guitar and literally went “WOAH!” in disbelief. Four years in and this thing still blows me away.
Its been a few FW updates since I tried those presets, but they sound incredible now. I could cover a lot of ground with just those 3, a Strat and a Les Paul.

Thanks Cliff and the team.

I loaded the beta up tonight and was having another run through Cooper’s master class, just to refresh my memory with all the handy tips and tricks.
Went through dialling in the first presets (clean, EoB and classic rock) doing my usual substitute for YA ir’s and a few tweaks and sweet baby Jesus and the orphans!! For what feels like the umpteenth time with the Axe, I stopped playing at the guitar and literally went “WOAH!” in disbelief. Four years in and this thing still blows me away.
Its been a few FW updates since I tried those presets, but they sound incredible now. I could cover a lot of ground with just those 3, a Strat and a Les Paul.

Thanks Cliff and the team.
It really is amazing! You think you have your tone dialed in, and are certain it can't be any better!! Then you get a FW update with some new features you can play with, and it's like you have received a new unit, that sounds even better!!! Surely it can't get any better!!!! Yet it does every time!!!!! Definitely interferes with me getting stuff done because I have to keep picking my jaw up from the floor!!!!!!

Some of Austin Buddy's bass presets popped when switching to different scenes. I haven't looked to see if the Drive block is part of the preset.
@DougB415 - PM me and let know an example of which 200+ Bass preset(s) this happening on for you?

I'll make sure to run the traps on any larger issue coming from it with FAS.

Thanks for your check and feedback.
Early... was already in my time zone at 6 am with the dog out for an hour through the forest. That makes the head fresh for the soundcheck. ;)

Tried messing with the Speaker Thump but don't really hear any difference. I even tried adding a Real Time Analyzer to see if there was any difference and it seemed to stay identical frequency-wise. I must be missing something!

Hi Camilo, good to see you're still around here!

Make sure you're not high-passing the audio signal somewhere in the chain, as that will probably influence the results.

Ok, so I assume I'll never feel it. My tinnitus doesn't give me any chance to turn up the volume too much.🤷‍♂️
same here - tinnitus sucks - the thump effect is subtle even @ higher vals to my ear. I use Logic Pro's goniometer to see such things when I can't hear them. The meter def shows a difference with thump on left, off right, and everything else equal left/right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom