Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.01 Public Beta (Beta 2)

Is it feasible to do the same with the FRFR <> SS PA + Cab parameter?

This would allow players with hybrid rigs to switch in one go, instead of having to multiple params per channel of the Amp block(s).
I wouldn’t have that as a prerequisite though. I have the amp blocks in all my presets set as SS PA + Cab, but I still send an FRFR signal to the PA and monitor in a live setting.I have to settle on one, and in the end, I preferred the SS PA setting. i would still like to use the speaker parameters because my real cabs are kind of ‘stiff’ sounding, and seem to benefit from a little Help from the axe.

I know this is crazy and or probably stupid or not possible but with the addition of the new G12T -75, I like it but miss some of the characteristics of my old speaker imp. Curve. Could there be a feature to blend them or do them like mixing ir's together or adding two instead of one?
How about adding the Speaker page to the Cab Block?

Last edited:
I know this is crazy and or probably stupid or not possible but with the addition of the new G12T -75, I like it but miss some of the characteristics of my old speaker imp. Curve. Could there be a feature to blend them or do them like mixing ir's together or adding two instead of one?
Yeah, that's crazy. Just dial it in by hand, no?

I think there was an extensive thread about linking speaker impedance curves to IRs, which would of course mimic the real world the closest way, but I guess the complication comes in that so many IRs do not have equivalent impedance curves in the unit, and it's really more a function of how the power amp reacts to cab. I'm still advocating for always creating custom ones; it's so damn powerful. I do think it would be awesome to be able to link automatically at least Factory IRs or have a tagging system that uses key words to link IRs with key terms to impedance curves. But at least having the global setting recently introduced helps tremendously. Saving custom curves would also be awesome.

I hear what you're saying about combining two of them though; interesting concept, really pushing beyond what could be achieved in the real world; very cool.

I think there was an extensive thread about linking speaker impedance curves to IRs, which would of course mimic the real world the closest way, but I guess the complication comes in that so many IRs do not have equivalent impedance curves in the unit, and it's really more a function of how the power amp reacts to cab. I'm still advocating for always creating custom ones; it's so damn powerful. I do think it would be awesome to be able to link automatically at least Factory IRs or have a tagging system that uses key words to link IRs with key terms to impedance curves. But at least having the global setting recently introduced helps tremendously. Saving custom curves would also be awesome.

I hear what you're saying about combining two of them though; interesting concept, really pushing beyond what could be achieved in the real world; very cool.
Heck, even if it was just a utility function in a menu that ran a script to average two chosen curves and update the settings in the window, it would help.

Not really beyond, if you connect two different cabs to an amp the impedance curve it "sees" would be some sort of average or sum of the two curves.

Yeah, you’re right. Then I guess you’d be thinking of the ways the cabs would be connected, series vs parallel, and you’d also want to determine the Speaker Impedance relative to the model’s virtual output in the real world. And I wonder if this just gets to be too much at a certain point, which leads one back to the use your ears adage.

Yeah, you’re right. Then I guess you’d be thinking of the ways the cabs would be connected, series vs parallel, and you’d also want to determine the Speaker Impedance relative to the model’s virtual output in the real world. And I wonder if this just gets to be too much at a certain point, which leads one back to the use your ears adage.
Yup, there are a lot of variables and it probably wouldn't be practical to do the curve mixing in the box, but (I'll say it for the Nth time) being able to load our own curves would be really useful even for those kind of experiments.

Last edited:
Yup, there are a lot of variables and it probably wouldn't be practical to do the curve mixing in the box, but (I say it for the Nth time) being able to load our own curves would be really useful even for those kind of experiments.

What I’m thinking more and more is that the way to get all this mimicking the real world without calculating everything manually would be to have a combined amp and cab block for this purpose, just for real world equivalence, where these factors have been measured with the amp and cab reacting, the curve matched, the impedance, the reaction of the voice coil at each volume setting, etc.

And I’m thinking that Cliff is essentially saying, look, you can calculate all this if you want, and get it just like the real world, but I’ve given you the tools to go way beyond all the real world limitations and create tone in a more powerful and more custom way than anyone ever has had access to. And for me, I have found that tones I’ve created just messing with absolutely everything in the advanced parameters have truly just been better, just like being your own realtime modder, with immediate feedback to what you’re trying, without reference to the real world, but with ultimate loyalty to what sounds best, no matter what.

Give it a week on the new one and I bet you'll barely recall what the old one did differently.

If you must blend them, you could wire in parallel one AMP with your old one and (same model) AMP with your new one and mix to taste.

Been discussed dozens and dozens of times.... probably never happen largely because of how amp modeling works (directly utilizes impedance) and because blocks are designed to be independent. Maybe Cliff will surprise us someday, but wouldn't hold your breath.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom