Axe-Fx III Firmware 2.00 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Axe-Edit gets updated separately and does not normally contain parameters from Beta FW releases. It is normal practice to use the front panel for new parameters until an updated version of Axe-Edit is released (usually a day or 2 after the release candidate of the FW is made available).

That said, Cliff did mention a possible clue/hint/something about Axe-Edit not being self-aware 'yet'.....:)
upload_2018-11-19_6-58-6.png

So, for those changing regularly between FRFR and traditional guitar speakers:

When using a traditional guitar cabinet, the following params in the Amp block should stay at zero:

- Speaker Drive
- Speaker Compression
- Speaker Compliance

Also, Output Mode in the Amp block should be set appropriately:

- FRFR, or
- SS PA + Cab

NOTE: see post 27.

Last edited:

When using a traditional guitar cabinet, the following params in the Amp block should stay at zero:

- Speaker Drive
- Speaker Compression
- Speaker Compliance

- FRFR, or
- SS PA + Cab

This kind of stuff is impossible to remember, and will get lost and a million people will ask about it. it should be a switch somewhere, or driven off that FRFR, SSPA switch. IMHO.

- Speaker Drive
- Speaker Compression
- Speaker Compliance

- FRFR, or
- SS PA + Cab
Not necessarily. If using a tube power amp into a traditional cab all should be zero. If using a solid-state amp into a traditional cab I would recommend Speaker Compression and Compliance not be zero.

Not necessarily. If using a tube power amp into a traditional cab all should be zero. If using a solid-state amp into a traditional cab I would recommend Speaker Compression and Compliance not be zero.

Aha, good to know!

No bullshit, I was watching a movie and playing with my phone when I saw that there was a new Axe FX update, so I exited out of Terminator: Genisys and then seconds later saw this post.

That doesn't sell the movie very well....:D

I've got to wait 2 days before I'm home and can try the new speaker settings out! A time machine would be good for me right now.

- Speaker Drive
- Speaker Compression
- Speaker Compliance

- FRFR, or
- SS PA + Cab

NOTE: see post 27.
I noticed if you change from FRFR to SS PA + Cab, it red lines the overall output. I found lowering amp output (example -12 to -13) corrects it. But I'm a little confused on the FRFR and SS PA + Cab settings. I am using a Mesa 2 Fifty tube power amp. I like the tone better on SS PA + Cab. It seem a little more punchier and at the same time clearer. But is that the right setting?

I am using a Mesa 2 Fifty tube power amp. I like the tone better on SS PA + Cab. It seem a little more punchier and at the same time clearer. But is that the right setting?

Nope (in theory). See Release notes:

"The SS PA + Cab mode is intended for use with a solid-state power amp and conventional guitar cab. In this mode speaker compression modeling behaves differently relying on the speaker for compression while still simulating the interaction with the power amp. NOTE: this mode is not intended for use with current drive power amps, i.e. tube power amps, Class-D current feedback amps (Quilter Tone Block), etc. NOTE: this mode CAN be used with FRFR monitors in high volume applications where the monitor’s speakers are compressing thereby achieving a more dynamic response."​

But I agree it's confusing to have to set Output Mode tot FRFR when using a tube power amp.

Unless... the idea is that Power Amp Modeling is disabled when using a tube power amp, and Output Mode gets also disabled in that scenario. Then its setting doesn't matter. Don't know for sure though if this is the case.

Cliff

Sounds great but I still see the issue with the input meters. Sometimes i can hear sound with nothing showing on the meters and sometimes the input meters show levels when nothing is playing.

Update - If I change to a preset and then change back it seems to go away FYI

Just letting you know and seeing if anyone else is seeing this.

Sounds amazing!

MM

Cliff

Sounds great but I still see the issue with the input meters. Sometimes i can hear sound with nothing showing on the meters and sometimes the input meters show levels when nothing is playing.

Update - If I change to a preset and then change back it seems to go away FYI

Just letting you know and seeing if anyone else is seeing this.

Sounds amazing!

MM
This may have to do with your individual preset input gate settings. Check your input block's gate setting when you see meter and no sound. This will happen when there is a sound level and the gate is set. On most of my high gain settings, depending on what guitar I use, I get minimal noise hum. My gate is set so I don't hear it, but I see the meters are active.
Changing presets sometimes removes the noise for a bit.

This may have to do with your individual preset input gate settings. Check your input block's gate setting when you see meter and no sound. This will happen when there is a sound level and the gate is set. On most of my high gain settings, depending on what guitar I use, I get minimal noise hum. My gate is set so I don't hear it, but I see the meters are active.
Changing presets sometimes removes the noise for a bit.

Thanks man but I don't think that's it. I think it has something to do with preset 1(also noticed it on 2). Interestingly when i booted to preset 6 it was fine though when i went back to 1 it started again. Then after awhile of switching between presets it seems to clear.

(UPDATE -In reading Cliff's message about compiling, I realized that presets 1 and 2 had global blocks which may explain why they are impacted. I also notice that the midi response is initially slow on these presets as well. Hoping that helps though obvious Cliff is well aware of this already)

MM

Last edited:

Testing the improved whammy in firmware 2.00. Amp model is not really djent friendly : it's the Dumble ODS-100 HRM. Recorded with a .Strandberg* 0riginal 7, my first 7 strings, received two days ago.

A 7 strings guitar is something completely new for me, and besides that, what I play here is sometimes terrible, my apologies ! my picking hand is almost dead so all I can do is tapping to compensate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom