Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 2.03

Has anybody confirmed this? I do notice that the boost switch in the preamp section has a different scale/value for the boost/Drive parameter. In the preamp input boost block, the increments are in dB up to 24, whereas in the drive block it is listed as “Drive” and it maxes out at 10. Also some of the boost type names are different between the drive and preamp input boost options/list...
I think the Drive block parameter equivalent is Level, not Drive... I could be wrong.

I think the Drive block parameter equivalent is Level, not Drive... I could be wrong.

I though that was the output “Level” of the Drive block to control the output level going to the next block, not the amount of boost within the virtual pedal/circuit? The output “Level” of the Drive block also only goes up to 10, not the 24dB of the “Boost” control in the Preamp page of the Amp block...

I though that was the output “Level” of the Drive block to control the output level going to the next block, not the amount of boost within the virtual pedal/circuit? The output “Level” of the Drive block also only goes up to 10, not the 24dB of the “Boost” control in the Preamp page of the Amp block...

Are not drive and boost very different things? EQ aside - Respectively, one clips i.e. silicon diode, op-amp, FET, etc. distortion, versus increasing the gain prior to the amp block to overdrive into distortion for the amp itself faster.

The Boost option adds gain (aka, level) not distortion (aka, Drive) as far as I am aware.

Any extra distortion is from boosting the input level of the amp block, the same as (for example) sticking a T808 Drive in front of the amp block with Drive at 0 and Level at 10.

If you aren't the type to read Release Notes at least read this:
Added USB Input Level controls. These are located in Setup->I/O->USB. Note that these values will default to -40 dB after the firmware upgrade.
Ask and he shall receive! Thanks, Cliff!

Hi! Question.
Just for a bit of experimentation I have put the MIDI SCENE block on my grid, put some CC-controls in there on two scenes, connected good old MIDI-OX for monitoring purposes, switched between the two scenes and ... nothing ... not on the MIDI-USB and not on the DIN connector :-(

Is there any setting somewhere that may prohibit MIDI commands from going to the Axe FX MIDI OUTPUT port?
Although it's a bit of trying out this time, I can see some very practical applications for the MIDI SCENE block, so I'd like to get it working.

Any suggestions?
Thx!

Using Axe FX3 (obviously) with 2.03 and USB 1.06.

Hi! Question.
Just for a bit of experimentation I have put the MIDI SCENE block on my grid, put some CC-controls in there on two scenes, connected good old MIDI-OX for monitoring purposes, switched between the two scenes and ... nothing ... not on the MIDI-USB and not on the DIN connector :-(

Is there any setting somewhere that may prohibit MIDI commands from going to the Axe FX MIDI OUTPUT port?
Although it's a bit of trying out this time, I can see some very practical applications for the MIDI SCENE block, so I'd like to get it working.

Any suggestions?
Thx!

Using Axe FX3 (obviously) with 2.03 and USB 1.06.
Works fine here:
TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
0001CF72 2 -- B0 01 00 1 --- CC: Modulation
0001D28C 2 -- B0 00 00 1 --- CC: Bank MSB
0001D4CC 2 -- B0 01 00 1 --- CC: Modulation

Works fine here:
TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
0001CF72 2 -- B0 01 00 1 --- CC: Modulation
0001D28C 2 -- B0 00 00 1 --- CC: Bank MSB
0001D4CC 2 -- B0 01 00 1 --- CC: Modulation

Ok, good to know. So, what do you think I should do now? Ports seem to work fine, because Axe Edit works ok. Am I missing anything? Should the MIDI SCENE block be connected to anything on the grid?

Ok, good to know. So, what do you think I should do now? Ports seem to work fine, because Axe Edit works ok. Am I missing anything? Should the MIDI SCENE block be connected to anything on the grid?

Update 20181209. OK, I'm completely stuck now. Hairpulling, head against the wall - you know what I mean ...

Checked all my MIDI settings in SETUP MIDI/REMOTE, carefully checked all settings and the explanations in the manual (version 2) and I could not find any setting or reason why no MIDI signals would appear on the MIDI OUTPUT of the Axe.

Just to make sure: I'm looking from the PC-side at MIDI-OVER-USB (where the MIDI OUTput of the Axe is referred to as "Axe-FX III MIDI IN"). Nothing appears there. Not when I change presets using the rotating knob (SEND MIDI PC=ON), not from the SCENE MIDI block when scenes are changed, nothing.

When I send a CC or a PC command from my GT22 to the AXE MIDI IN (on DIN connector), I do see it routed thru on the DIN MIDI THRU, but I do NOT see this routed THRU via MIDI-over-USB.

Questions:
1) It is my understanding that the DIN MIDI connections and the MIDI-over-USB are completely "mirrorred", but I'm getting doubts now. Are they?
2) Are MIDI out signals (like SEND MIDI PC and signals from the SCENE MIDI block) sent to the MIDI-over-USB as well? I would expect that, but the fact that I see nothing here makes me doubt. Are they?

These are my MIDI/REMOTE settings:
MIDI CHANNEL=1
Display Offset=0
Scene Revert = Off
Eff bypass mode=Value
Send Realtime Sysex=ON (tried ON and OFF, makes no difference)
Program Change=ON
Ignore Redundant PC=OFF
Send MIDI PC=On (tried 1 and OMNI, make sno difference)
MIDI PC Offset=0
PC Mapping=OFF

All External Control Values=0%

To the folks at FA, sorry, I hope you're not going to find me a pain in the <beep>, but I am completely puzzled here. And I know it's much more likely that I am missing something, than that something is wrong with the Axe. Your help would be highly appreciated, ok? If you think it's better to contact support (G66 in Europe), then don't hesitate to let me know. Thx.

Ah, I just realized that the updated Cab-Lab has not been released yet. A new version that resolves this should be out later today.

Thank you very much. Live Mode is now working at the Axe-FX III with the latest Cab-Lab release. :)

However, there are 2 inconvenients:

1. Live Mode Volume is higher than Axe-FX CAB block

If USB-1/2 level is set to 0dB, the volume of Cab-Lab Live Mode is much higher than the volume of the same IR loaded at the Axe-FX (with CAB block level 0dB).

To equalize the levels, USB-1/2 volume has to be adjusted around -8.5 dB at the Axe-FX.

This is inconvenient, because every time when we go back to use the Axe-FX as a normal USB audio interface we have to set the USB level back to 0 dB.

Can the Cab-Lab Live Mode volume be normalized at 0 dB?

2. Live Mode Latency

I cannot set the Axe-FX ASIO Buffer Size below 256 without getting noisy artifacts, but at 256 there is an annoying latency.

Is the minimum safe buffer size dependent on the computer processor or on the Axe-FX processor? I am using an Intel i7 6700HQ 2.6 GHz (ASUS GL552VW) with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Last edited:
Update 20181209. OK, I'm completely stuck now. Hairpulling, head against the wall - you know what I mean ...

Checked all my MIDI settings in SETUP MIDI/REMOTE, carefully checked all settings and the explanations in the manual (version 2) and I could not find any setting or reason why no MIDI signals would appear on the MIDI OUTPUT of the Axe.

Just to make sure: I'm looking from the PC-side at MIDI-OVER-USB (where the MIDI OUTput of the Axe is referred to as "Axe-FX III MIDI IN"). Nothing appears there. Not when I change presets using the rotating knob (SEND MIDI PC=ON), not from the SCENE MIDI block when scenes are changed, nothing.

When I send a CC or a PC command from my GT22 to the AXE MIDI IN (on DIN connector), I do see it routed thru on the DIN MIDI THRU, but I do NOT see this routed THRU via MIDI-over-USB.

Questions:
1) It is my understanding that the DIN MIDI connections and the MIDI-over-USB are completely "mirrorred", but I'm getting doubts now. Are they?
2) Are MIDI out signals (like SEND MIDI PC and signals from the SCENE MIDI block) sent to the MIDI-over-USB as well? I would expect that, but the fact that I see nothing here makes me doubt. Are they?

These are my MIDI/REMOTE settings:
MIDI CHANNEL=1
Display Offset=0
Scene Revert = Off
Eff bypass mode=Value
Send Realtime Sysex=ON (tried ON and OFF, makes no difference)
Program Change=ON
Ignore Redundant PC=OFF
Send MIDI PC=On (tried 1 and OMNI, make sno difference)
MIDI PC Offset=0
PC Mapping=OFF

All External Control Values=0%

To the folks at FA, sorry, I hope you're not going to find me a pain in the <beep>, but I am completely puzzled here. And I know it's much more likely that I am missing something, than that something is wrong with the Axe. Your help would be highly appreciated, ok? If you think it's better to contact support (G66 in Europe), then don't hesitate to let me know. Thx.
The MIDI block only sends data out the MIDI Out DIN jack. It does NOT send to the USB. The purpose of the MIDI block is to control other equipment in you rack via standard MIDI.

The MIDI block only sends data out the MIDI Out DIN jack. It does NOT send to the USB. The purpose of the MIDI block is to control other equipment in you rack via standard MIDI.
Aha ... thanks ... hmm, well, that explains it, obviously.
In that case I have an item for the WISHLIST (guess what ...): can we have MIDI THRU, SCENES MIDI output and SEND PC also sent over MIDI-over-USB?

Explanation: I have "other equipment" that is connected through MIDI-over-USB. And I find it kind of inconsistent to accept MIDI INPUT-over-USB, but not allow MIDI Output-over-USB. But maybe there's a good reason for that, I'don't know. Curious to hear the design reasoning behind this. For now, I'll buy a MIDI splitter box, coz my MIDI OUT Din connector is currently occupied by the plug that leads back to the GT22. The splitter will do the trick for me, I suppose.

And another one, as a suggestion to improve the manual at this point (version 2, december 2018, page 18):
This sentence "The USB connection also carries high-speed “MIDI-over-USB”. [...] MIDI-over-USB performs the same functions as regular 5-pin MIDI, only faster. [...]" is apparently not the whole story, and I find it a bit misleading, which led me to all the puzzles described before. You may want to add here: "Note: The MIDI block and SEND PC only sends data out to the MIDI Out DIN jack. It does NOT send MIDI to the MIDI-over-USB."

And another one for the WISHLIST: Actually the only thing I want to do is route the SCENES MIDI control back into the Axe, so I can start or stop the Looper (or Start it playing) when I change from SCENE to SCENE. I don't see how this could be done otherwise. Would it be an idea to make it possible to route SCENES MIDI commands also internally in the Axe? I read in the Axe-WIKI, for now, that it's possible to connect the DIN MIDI OUT back to the DIN MIDI IN, but an internal connection would be a lot easier ofcourse. Just a suggestion, not a big thing, ok?

Aha ... thanks ... hmm, well, that explains it, obviously.
In that case I have an item for the WISHLIST (guess what ...): can we have MIDI THRU, SCENES MIDI output and SEND PC also sent over MIDI-over-USB?

Explanation: I have "other equipment" that is connected through MIDI-over-USB. And I find it kind of inconsistent to accept MIDI INPUT-over-USB, but not allow MIDI Output-over-USB. But maybe there's a good reason for that, I'don't know. Curious to hear the design reasoning behind this. For now, I'll buy a MIDI splitter box, coz my MIDI OUT Din connector is currently occupied by the plug that leads back to the GT22. The splitter will do the trick for me, I suppose.

And another one, as a suggestion to improve the manual at this point (version 2, december 2018, page 18):
This sentence "The USB connection also carries high-speed “MIDI-over-USB”. [...] MIDI-over-USB performs the same functions as regular 5-pin MIDI, only faster. [...]" is apparently not the whole story, and I find it a bit misleading, which led me to all the puzzles described before. You may want to add here: "Note: The MIDI block and SEND PC only sends data out to the MIDI Out DIN jack. It does NOT send MIDI to the MIDI-over-USB."

And another one for the WISHLIST: Actually the only thing I want to do is route the SCENES MIDI control back into the Axe, so I can start or stop the Looper (or Start it playing) when I change from SCENE to SCENE. I don't see how this could be done otherwise. Would it be an idea to make it possible to route SCENES MIDI commands also internally in the Axe? I read in the Axe-WIKI, for now, that it's possible to connect the DIN MIDI OUT back to the DIN MIDI IN, but an internal connection would be a lot easier ofcourse. Just a suggestion, not a big thing, ok?
Might as well actually create wishlist items for these.

There actually is one for triggering looper actions on scene change already

I just installed 2.03 from 2.02 and now my III doesn't fully boot up. The screen will flash, and the lights all go up, then nothing and the screen doesn't display anything. Just a dim back light. HELP!!

Also, Fractal-Bot doesn't see it either!
Exactly the same thing happened to me! It was several minutes of panic but that backdoor (page left/right) thing worked. My Axe is back but the patches are way more tin sounding. I’m wondering if I should install it one more time.

Exactly the same thing happened to me! It was several minutes of panic but that backdoor (page left/right) thing worked. My Axe is back but the patches are way more tin sounding. I’m wondering if I should install it one more time.

make sure power amp and cab modeling are enabled

Back
Top Bottom