Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 2.03

So what exactly is the difference between the amp boost and the drive block. I usually use drives (ts808 mod) mostly. I tried bypassing the drive block and adding a boost (same ts808 mod) in the amp block. The sound is vastly different. Much less bass/more highs using the boost vs using the drive block.
It's the same but has less parameters and uses less cpu

Hey Cliff @FractalAudio , I believe I found a bug in 2.03. It has to do with 'Scene copy' function and the 'Control Switches'. I noticed that the 'CS per Scene' tab has been moved to the new 'Per-Preset FC Settings' menu. Maybe this has something to do with the issue I found?

When helping a customer that was attempting to copy a scene into a different scene location, the Control Switch 'On/Off' states are no longer carried over to the pasted scene. This used to work on firmware 1.18.

As a matter of fact, the scene controller settings are also not copying and pasting correctly in this firmware.

Last edited:
Check your USB levels in Setup->I/O->USB. Then make sure you've selected the appropriate ins and outs in Cab-Lab audio settings.
Was a similar shift made to SPDIF levels? I'm trying to reamp through SPDIF in the first time for awhile, and I'm getting super low input levels hitting input 1 when I set input 1 to listen to SPDIF.

And I'm now noticing that when I change the input level of USB channels 5 and 6, the SPDIF volume is responding.

Am I crazy?

Thanks!

Was a similar shift made to SPDIF levels? I'm trying to reamp through SPDIF in the first time for awhile, and I'm getting super low input levels hitting input 1 when I set input 1 to listen to SPDIF.

And I'm now noticing that when I change the input level of USB channels 5 and 6, the SPDIF volume is responding.

Am I crazy?

Thanks!
If reamping via SPDIF set your USB 5/6 return level to 0.0 dB.

Why such a big difference in sound. Have you tried comparing between the two? The difference is pretty significant.

A popular boosting technique is to use a drive pedal with the drive on 0 and level on 10 into an already dirty amp, to act essentially as a clean boost or pre-EQ; the input boost mimics this behaviour, albeit with more control over the level hitting the amp.

Try compare the T808 input boost against a T808 drive block with the drive at 0 and level at 10.

Hey Leon,
I've tried it and can definitely hear a big difference between hall and room mode.

Which amp are you using it with? I've got more time today to play with it.

A popular boosting technique is to use a drive pedal with the drive on 0 and level on 10 into an already dirty amp, to act essentially as a clean boost or pre-EQ; the input boost mimics this behaviour, albeit with more control over the level hitting the amp.

Try compare the T808 input boost against a T808 drive block with the drive at 0 and level at 10.

Which amp are you using it with? I've got more time today to play with it.
I think it was a recto 2
It had more grit than the ts9 on my higain preset

Last edited:
Ah, I just realized that the updated Cab-Lab has not been released yet. A new version that resolves this should be out later today.

Live Mode is working at the new Cab-Lab 3 release (3.4.2). Thank you!

However, if USB-1/2 level is set to 0dB, the volume of Cab-Lab Live Mode is much higher than the volume of the same IR loaded at the Axe-FX (with CAB level 0dB). I have to set USB-1/2 volume around -8.5 dB to equalize the levels. Can this be normalized at 0 dB?

Last edited:
My MacBook Pro didn't working right after upgrade to 2.03. USB level -7 db, no sound at all. First 10 minutes there was no problems, after that sound disappeared. Then I choose internal dynamics I hear the sound normally, then switching back to Axe - silent.

My MacBook Pro didn't working right after upgrade to 2.03. USB level -7 db, no sound at all. First 10 minutes there was no problems, after that sound disappeared. Then I choose internal dynamics I hear the sound normally, then switching back to Axe - silent.
Hi, I have a new MacBook Pro... I installed 2.03 and Set USB Level to 0.00. I had no sound at first. I Unplugged the Axe and plugged it back in and everything has been perfect.

I’m guessing he means the MacBook Internal Speakers ....
yes. of cause, please forgive me for my bad English. I rebooted and replugged all the devices, and problem stayed the same. Then I closed browser on Mac and rebooted again, problem solved. I hope it was youtube page with background video.. mottling more ideas

I really love the last few updates.. updated room algorithm in the cab sounds great..would love to see updates
to the mic pre emulation in th cab block also. I mean it sounds great maybe a few new different mic preamps...

I’m going to do the peq thing but I don’t want an approximation I want my unit that I paid 2,600 for to be updated alongside the 3 and be made the best it can be to matching the 3 in tone quality I really want the new output mode for solid state power amps and some new factory cabs
Not long after I bought my axe2 which I love
The 3came Out I do plan on getting it but I still feel the axe 2 is getting left behind update wise
Probably better to post these items in the Axe Fx II Wish List forum, not as a reply in the Axe Fx III firmware release thread...

Why such a big difference in sound. Have you tried comparing between the two? The difference is pretty significant.

Has anybody confirmed this? I do notice that the boost switch in the preamp section has a different scale/value for the boost/drive parameter. In the preamp block, the increments are in dB up to 24, whereas in the drive block it is listed as “Drive” and it maxes out at 10. Also some of the boost type names are different between the drive and preamp input boost options/list...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom