Axe-Fx III Firmware 27.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
WoWaWeeWa 🏃‍♀️
Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/27p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_27p00_beta1.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Improved Amp block preamp algorithms, especially for amps with multiple gain stages. Tones are “gutsier” and have a more dynamic response with more “pop”. Also improves accuracy when input of Amp block is driven by a Drive pedal (whether real or virtual).

Improved cathode follower algorithm improves accuracy near onset of clipping. This results in warmer tones at edge-of-breakup and better cleanup when rolling off the volume knob (for amps that use a cathode follower). Due to the new algorithm the Grid Clipping parameter has been removed.

New power amp algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models bias excursion and duty cycle modulation. The results in more complex tone with better, punchier feel.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Band-Commander model.

Remastered Vibrato Lux model.

NOTE: The new amp algorithms are more accurate than prior firmware releases. This creates various “artifacts” that real tube amps produce. These include low-frequency intermodulation distortion, “clutter”, spitting and other non-ideal behaviors. These behaviors, however, are precisely what gives tube amps warmth, dynamics and character. They go hand-in-hand. Without these, amp modeling sounds sterile and uninteresting.
With those improvements it sounds like a new Firmware release rather than an upgrade. My FM3 will be patiently waiting.

An insight into this beta, from Cliff:

Post in thread 'Fractal Talk'
https://thegearforum.com/threads/fractal-talk.2745/post-239291

I've been doing this for 20 years and I'm still learning new things. Part of the learning is coming up with new deterministic signals that can be used to analyze and compare.

While noodling on my guitar recently I heard something that my Deluxe Reverb did that the amp model did not. I tried several other amp modelers and none of them exhibited it either.

So I set out to figure out what I was hearing and why the amp did it and none of the modelers did.

27.00 is the culmination of that research. First I came up with a new stimulus that allowed measuring of the phenomenon. Then I had to figure
out what was causing it. I eventually figured out what was causing it. The challenge was then figuring out how to model it.

I like to wax poetic about these things but internet denizens are want to misconstrue my passion as a marketing stunt so I've largely withdrawn from sharing these days. It's ironic that the very thing (the internet) that was supposed to connect us all together has driven us so far apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom