Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering whether the new Amp Triode algorithm changes the sound of the existing presets in such a way that adjustments to the presets become necessary

I'm wondering whether the new Amp Triode algorithm changes the sound of the existing presets in such a way that adjustments to the presets become necessary

I was wondering the same thing, but all my presets still sounded great; I still don't know if it was a placebo, but to me the amps felt better. I'm in a phase where I'm just using really dynamic amps like Plexis, where the nuances of your pick attack and whatnot really come out, and it just felt smooth.

I didn´t adjust anything (I´m lazy, too) and it just sounds better. Others have reported they had to raise treble.

Very happy to report that even on a wireless MIDI pedalboard, the gapless switching is almost as good as wired. Not exactly seamless, but MUCH faster than it used to be. Great job Cliff and company.

The BOSS GT-6/8/10/100/1000 units had gapless switching down to a science even in the early 2000s. I think this really had to do with the fact that they are pedal company first. Every change of a preset (or their take on "scenes") is as instantaneous as stomping a BOSS pedal, no matter how many changes happen internally. The trade off was always quality of amp and drive pedal modelling. My view was always "Fractal" for recording, "BOSS" for the gig, since a lot of my band's songs need instant switching from clean to high gain. Also, the BOSS GT-1000 limits you to 2 preamp blocks, which is generally sufficient. If this change can be ported to the FM3 or FM9 that would be 4 and 8 amp channels respectively.
This is so true.
It's 2023, please give us gapless switching (between amps) Fractal!

This is so true.
It's 2023, please give us gapless switching (between amps) Fractal!
For years my dream piece of gear would have been for Fractal to license its amp modeling tech to BOSS. Even it was just Axe Fx II level models it would have been the best of all worlds. The "GT-F", much like BOSS has made products licensed with JHS, Fender and now EVH. The limitless options of Fractal are nice, but the chorus, delay, reverb, flanger, phaser, etc in a BOSS GT - unit are still exceptional, especially compared to Zoom, Line 6, HeadRush, or countless new brands making multi-effects. So, now the world will never need a BOSS/Fractal collaboration because Fractal can change as fast as a BOSS product.

Did you actually read this thread?
Read Archies Weird Mysteries GIF by Archie Comics

Is the improved triode algorithm really changing the amp character and tone? I tried the 5150 block letter model pre-post 23 beta 1 and it sounds exactly the same (MV at 3). I'm not sure if the change is more noticeable with a higher master volume but in my test they sound pretty identical.
Maybe it's just placebo...

The preamp tubes (12AX7, ECC83, etc) are the triodes. Most guitar amp power tubes are pentodes (6L6, EL34, EL84, etc).

Am I right in thinking that a lower gain amp may be a clearer way to tell the difference in triode modeling? Especially since a 5150 overdrives so hard in the preamp, I wonder if that high level of drive in just that part of that amp can make things sound similar, but a lower level of gain with an amp designed to exploit that might better display the differences in the algorithm.

Of course, the shred models are working fine when I turned my Axe Fx on this morning. I have no idea what happened or why it would sound so drastically different, but here are the 2 presets that it happened on.
Maybe you had an expression pedal unknowingly turning on the WAH block or something similar?

Am I right in thinking that a lower gain amp may be a clearer way to tell the difference in triode modeling? Especially since a 5150 overdrives so hard in the preamp, I wonder if that high level of drive in just that part of that amp can make things sound similar, but a lower level of gain with an amp designed to exploit that might better display the differences in the algorithm.

When running clean, the tube is behaving linearly, which is predictable and likely far easier to model. It's in the non-linear region of conduction (compression and clipping) where the magic happens. That's where the quality of the model really shines. That said, really high gain amps will have so much extra harmonic content, I'd assume it would probably be harder to really pick out the nuance of things. I would think edge of breakup to mildly driven tones would be the best place to hear the difference.

I would also think modern preamp-centric, channel switching amps would also show the difference more than vintage style amps where the preamp section generally runs cleaner.

Last edited:
When running clean, the tube is behaving linearly, which is predictable and likely far easier to model. It's in the non-linear region of conduction (compression and clipping) where the magic happens. That's where the quality of the model really shines. That said, really high gain amps will have so much extra harmonic content, I'd assume it would probably be harder to really pick out the nuance of things. I would think edge of breakup to mildly driven tones would be the best place to hear the difference.

I would also think modern preamp-centric, channel switching amps would also show the difference more than vintage style amps where the preamp section generally runs cleaner.
Yes. At high gain you can use solid-state clipping and it would be hard to tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom