Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, the shred models are working fine when I turned my Axe Fx on this morning. I have no idea what happened or why it would sound so drastically different, but here are the 2 presets that it happened on.

Attachments

• JP2c.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Mesa Boogie Mark IV.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
can you elaborate on this?

They're these notes that occur in real amps where, especially if I play on upper frets on wound strings, these low notes form way below what you're playing, and they have nothing do harmonically with the note you're actually hitting, so it's like a dissonant mess in the bass that you didn't ask for. I can't stand the phenomenon.

This is a real thing with some amps, particularly some Plexis. Part of Cliff's philosophy in his design is to recreate exact copies of the amps, with every electrical weirdness, so that you really are not hearing a cleaned up version, if you will. The great thing is, he also gives you the tools to make your own cleaned up version.

He and others like the original character of the amps, with those aspects like ghost notes, and buzz, e.g., so it's just a matter of preference, and it's incredible to be able to try both ways. 🙂

They're these notes that occur in real amps where, especially if I play on upper frets on wound strings, these low notes form way below what you're playing, and they have nothing do harmonically with the note you're actually hitting, so it's like a dissonant mess in the bass that you didn't ask for. I can't stand the phenomenon.

This is a real thing with some amps, particularly some Plexis. Part of Cliff's philosophy in his design is to recreate exact copies of the amps, with every electrical weirdness, so that you really are not hearing a cleaned up version, if you will. The great thing is, he also gives you the tools to make your own cleaned up version.

He and others like the original character of the amps, with those aspects like ghost notes, and buzz, e.g., so it's just a matter of preference, and it's incredible to be able to try both ways. 🙂
As always, you 'elaborate' well. :)

In all those speculation threads... no one mentioned gapless... But I think the gap was the only legit thing that some of the other modelers did better. This is a huge upgrade to the system. Man, I love Fractal.
The BOSS GT-6/8/10/100/1000 units had gapless switching down to a science even in the early 2000s. I think this really had to do with the fact that they are pedal company first. Every change of a preset (or their take on "scenes") is as instantaneous as stomping a BOSS pedal, no matter how many changes happen internally. The trade off was always quality of amp and drive pedal modelling. My view was always "Fractal" for recording, "BOSS" for the gig, since a lot of my band's songs need instant switching from clean to high gain. Also, the BOSS GT-1000 limits you to 2 preamp blocks, which is generally sufficient. If this change can be ported to the FM3 or FM9 that would be 4 and 8 amp channels respectively.

The BOSS GT-6/8/10/100/1000 units had gapless switching down to a science even in the early 2000s. I think this really had to do with the fact that they are pedal company first. Every change of a preset (or their take on "scenes") is as instantaneous as stomping a BOSS pedal, no matter how many changes happen internally. The trade off was always quality of amp and drive pedal modelling. My view was always "Fractal" for recording, "BOSS" for the gig, since a lot of my band's songs need instant switching from clean to high gain. Also, the BOSS GT-1000 limits you to 2 preamp blocks, which is generally sufficient. If this change can be ported to the FM3 or FM9 that would be 4 and 8 amp channels respectively.
That's fair. I switch between clean and high gain a lot in my cover band. It was more noticeable when I was switching presets on my AX8. With my Axe FX II and my Axe FX III, I mainly operate in a "kitchen-sink" preset. There was definitely a gap between amp channel switches, but with reverb and delay active, it wasn't noticeable in a mix, IMO. I got the timing down pretty good. Every now and then, it would take longer for some reason, but I think that's more of a MIDI or FC thing (was worse with the MFC101 on my Axe FX II).

I do think the gaps were a valid criticism in the past. It wasn't a big deal for me, but friends that were new to Fractal were kinda incredulous about it and I had to explain to them the work arounds and whatnot. This update just removes that hurdle. I played around with it this weekend and it was really smooth.

So your post grabs my attention. I’ve always considered the “wolf tones” you describe to be a pickup/string relationship: pickup too close to strings, usually with the stronger magnets of single-coil pickups. This can be exacerbated when playing lower strings higher up the neck, as this typically forces the string down closer to the pickup (esp. neck pickup) due to neck angle. I’m wondering if amp/cabs that are more capable of low-freq response increase hearing this problem, and if the “real” solution might be pickup-height adjustment.

Really digging this update. Gapless changes are nice but not really something that ever was an issue for me, it's the way the amps sound and feel. Didn't change anything, just updated and worked through the presets to make sure they were leveled and that everything worked correctly. At sound check yesterday the audio engineer said "Ooooo...she sounds sassy this morning!".

Relatively New to Fractal myself and Some patches that ive built with different scenes and channels, and ive never noticed any annoying gaps when switching

idontknow-shrug.gif

So your post grabs my attention. I’ve always considered the “wolf tones” you describe to be a pickup/string relationship: pickup too close to strings, usually with the stronger magnets of single-coil pickups. This can be exacerbated when playing lower strings higher up the neck, as this typically forces the string down closer to the pickup (esp. neck pickup) due to neck angle. I’m wondering if amp/cabs that are more capable of low-freq response increase hearing this problem, and if the “real” solution might be pickup-height adjustment.

That's cool too know. I wasn't aware pickup height could cause that! I wonder if you experience it in the future, if you try changing to DC you find you don't need to lower the pickup. Of course you can also mess up intonation too if the pickups are too close.

Hmm maybe it is about sound quality and the size of the code . A mp3 don’t have the same size than a wav.

I don’t know how it works, but I think that the more you have details in the sound the more it take space (maybe?)

That's cool too know. I wasn't aware pickup height could cause that! I wonder if you experience it in the future, if you try changing to DC you find you don't need to lower the pickup. Of course you can also mess up intonation too if the pickups are too close.
I usually try to solve problems at their source. If your guitar set-up is the culprit, using LF blocking or EQ to mask it doesn’t cure anything — it just hides it well enough to not be a problem. I don’t like BandAids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom