Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if the change is more noticeable with a higher master volume
Master volume affects the power-amp, not the pre-amp. In the modeler it has a bit different behavior than in a physical amp. I'd recommend reading about its behavior if you're not familiar with what it does because it can make a big difference in the sound of an amp.

GAIN + OVERDRIVE + MASTER VOLUME

Master volume affects the power-amp, not the pre-amp. In the modeler it has a bit different behavior than in a physical amp. I'd recommend reading about its behavior if you're not familiar with what it does because it can make a big difference in the sound of an amp.

GAIN + OVERDRIVE + MASTER VOLUME

Yeah for sure I know what MV does to my amp. For metal / tight tones I use a really low MV value, 2-3 in my real 5150, so I tried to replicate it in the Axe FX and 2.5-3 was a close value. 22.01 and 23 sounded pretty identical to be honest.

BTW I’m not a really fan of the 6160 Block Lead model, it never sounds close to my real 5150. Really fizzy in the Axe and I miss the midrange and forward character of the real amp…The Axe model sounds pushed back in comparison. :(

Yeah for sure I know what MV does to my amp. For metal / tight tones I use a really low MV value, 2-3 in my real 5150, so I tried to replicate it in the Axe FX and 2.5-3 was a close value. 22.01 and 23 sounded pretty identical to be honest.

BTW I’m not a really fan of the 6160 Block Lead model, it never sounds close to my real 5150. Really fizzy in the Axe and I miss the midrange and forward character of the real amp…The Axe model sounds pushed back in comparison. :(
Do you by any chance have a load box, so you could run your real amp through the same IR as the Axe?

Do you by any chance have a load box, so you could run your real amp through the same IR as the Axe?
Yes for sure. I have the St Rock React IR loadbox. I could do a reamp with my real 5150 and provide the settings and DI track so someone could help me because my Axe sounds really different. Maybe another thread for this?

Yes for sure. I have the St Rock React IR loadbox. I could do a reamp with my real 5150 and provide the settings and DI track so someone could help me because my Axe sounds really different. Maybe another thread for this?
That's not a proper loadbox. It's like the Two Notes and UA stuff. It doesn't have an inductor and the impedance is very inaccurate. Get a Suhr or Fractal otherwise it's apples and oranges.

That's not a proper loadbox. It's like the Two Notes and UA stuff. It doesn't have an inductor and the impedance is very inaccurate. Get a Suhr or Fractal otherwise it's apples and oranges.
That bad? It´s really superior to the Two Notes stuff for sure. I tried the Suhr and it wasn´t a big difference to the St Rock.
What do you think about Red Seven and Driftwood loadboxes?

After recording 5150 through St Rock I tested the new STL Josh Middleton 5150 and was pretty identical to my real amp.

So, you're saying, that when I wired two Radio Shack L-pads together in Parallel, and fed them with my JCM800 100 watt combo, so I could be "Eddie Van Halen" into a "load box" , feed into stompbox effects, then into a stereo power amp........it wasn't accurate?

Just kidding. It makes an amp, into a distortion pedal, instead of getting the tone of the tubes, that a proper load box delivers.

That bad? It´s really superior to the Two Notes stuff for sure. I tried the Suhr and it wasn´t a big difference to the St Rock.
What do you think about Red Seven and Driftwood loadboxes?

After recording 5150 through St Rock I tested the new STL Josh Middleton 5150 and was pretty identical to my real amp.
I have a RedSeven Amp Central and a Fractal X Load. I like and use both, as they’re slightly different. Fractal LB doesnt require power if you go 1/4 out, so easy to right into an Axe FX and swap IR’s easily. Its also affordable

RedSeven Amp Central is more expensive, but you get a stereo FX loop, headphone out, and built in IR’s, however, does require power. You can store 16 IR’s.

Sonic Drive Studio has a youtube channel comparing them sonically, they do sound a little different using the same IR, in my opinion neither sounds better. Just different. Fractal also has a switchable voicing between UK and USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom