Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually try to solve problems at their source. If your guitar set-up is the culprit, using LF blocking or EQ to mask it doesn’t cure anything — it just hides it well enough to not be a problem. I don’t like BandAids.

Sure, if that is the source. I don't doubt that pickups set to high can cause a phenomenon that sounds like ghost notes, but I don't think that's the case here. If my ghost notes were due to my pickup height, would I not hear them on many amps? And why is it that it is solved by the exact solution that Cliff recommends, changing to DC? More to that point, I've always heard ghost notes on the same models, with different guitars and different sets of pickups, including ones set really really low.

Yup. I had a pair of Deathbuckers that must've been made with too strong magnets because the guitar I had them in just would not stop buzzing, intonate, or keep tune. I did everything I could to fix the problem, but it only went away when I swapped the Deathbuckers for a set of Fluence Moderns.

Yeah, I had this happen on my beloved Epiphone Les Paul with stock pickups. I was actually trying to set the intonation, and it was driving me bananas. I lowered the pickups just a little, and the problem went away. That Haze article is good. I guess this is a big advantage with EMGs, since they were developed partially to create a pickup free from the negative effects of too much string pull.

Sure, if that is the source. I don't doubt that pickups set to high can cause a phenomenon that sounds like ghost notes, but I don't think that's the case here. If my ghost notes were due to my pickup height, would I not hear them on many amps? And why is it that it is solved by the exact solution that Cliff recommends, changing to DC? More to that point, I've always heard ghost notes on the same models, with different guitars and different sets of pickups, including ones set really really low.
^Agreed^

As I understand it, pickups, especially single-coils, can pull on the string when they're too close, and cause the string to not vibrate evenly, which results in a throbbing sound and when it's especially bad, will pull the string out of tune.

Ghost notes, which are another thing, come from the power-supply ripple conflicting with the string frequency. Switching to DC removes that entirely because there's no modulation between the string frequency and the power-supply. That explains why different guitars and pickups have the problem with particular amps, the problem is in the amp.

I started with an AX8 when I moved to Fractals, and noticed ghost notes and they were driving me crazy. Being foolish I blamed the AX8, and returned to using my tube amps, only to notice that those had it also, which showed me how accurate Fractal's modeling is. Ghost notes are part of the legacy of tube amps, and while they're not "pure" they're part of what makes a tube amp sound "rock and roll".

Yes. People were complaining. Joe himself said the production amps don't sound like his amp but people complain and we address the complaints.
Joe’s amp was my favourite Marshall in the unit. This is a sad day for me.

Edit: worth clarifying I can’t wait to try the other changes and am otherwise very impressed, as always. I’m even looking forward to trying the new amp! Just wish it didn’t come at the cost of a model I use quite frequently.

Last edited:
i am still getting a gap switching scenes with different amp channels. am i missing something? heres my preset

EDIT: IM USING SPDIF SORRY!

also a clip of the effect:

Attachments

• Ocean's Edge.fasBundle
    36.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Been playing with this firmware a bit. Had to bump up treble a bit compared to fw 22.01 (is that expected?), things sound and feel glorious though!!
Thanks for that, Cliff and team!

Last edited:
We hope to implement it on the other products. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to but I don't want to promise anything in case there are unforeseen issues.
kevin hart GIF by mtv

It works ok for half the patches, but the it lags BIG TIME for others. Definitely gonna wait til this is fulled fleshed out.

I don't know if this has been reported, or perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I've found that the DynaCab distance is affected with the Smoothing parameter, even though it doesn't show the number at the cursor, but it is actually displaced (you can hear the out-of-phase)

I am experiencing this with the 4x12 Rumble EV12L
1697012926028.png

Edit: I attach the preset.

At the current settings the distance is zero, because Smoothing > 0
Set Smoothing to zero, and the distance will be shifted.

Attachments

• JS410 2023_10_11.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I don't know if this has been reported, or perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I've found that the DynaCab distance is affected with the Smoothing parameter, even though it doesn't show the number at the cursor, but

I am experiencing this with the 4x12 Rumble EV12L. I don;t know if it happens to others
View attachment 127832

Edit: I attach the preset.

At the current settings the distance is zero, because Smoothing > 0
Set Smoothing to zero, and the distance will be shifted.
See this: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-23-00-public-beta-1.198479/post-2468223

It happens with normal IRs as well if they're not minimum phase

I see. So every time that we add another microphone to a block that has at least one smoothed mike, we either have to visually re-align all the distances (a PITA), or set the smoothing at 0.01.

I find more practical to always set the smoothing to 0.01 for all the mikes, so all the distances actually start at zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom